Canadian-made Sorel boots? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #1

Canadian-made Sorel boots?

My first pair of Sorels finally wore out after almost 10 years. Everything I'm reading about the current generation of Sorels in the US says they are of reduced quality and are made in Vietnam (I had enough of that in 1969 and 1970, thank you).

My question to our neighbors up North is, can you still get Sorels made in Canada, or failing that, do you have a recommendation for a warm, waterproof boot?

Thanks in advance;
Dave (in a place with no winter to speak of, but with plans to move somewhere where there is serious winter when I retire)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Canadian-made Sorel boots?

One word.... "Baffin" make some of the warmest winter boots.
I work outside in the winter some days 8 hours minus 30 C.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Geo

Yes they still make Sorels,
mine are 30 years old and still going strong.
Rubber bottoms not plastic, full leathers uppers, and three liners.
I recently bought my wife and son pairs, gortex uppers
Nothing like warm feet
Cheers
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
Yes they still make Sorels,
mine are 30 years old and still going strong.
Rubber bottoms not plastic, full leathers uppers, and three liners.
I recently bought my wife and son pairs, gortex uppers
Nothing like warm feet
Cheers
Geo
Thanks for the response. Do you know if they are made in Canada or somewhere else?

Dave
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Priestley
One word.... "Baffin" make some of the warmest winter boots.
I work outside in the winter some days 8 hours minus 30 C.
Thank you...I will check them out.

Dave
Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Dave (in a place with no winter to speak of, but with plans to move somewhere where there is serious winter when I retire)
WHY ?

Serious winter just isn't what its made out to be...

over priced heating costs for your home;
snow removal;
slippery stuff on the roads;
snow plow crews plowing snow into your driveway;
freeze your @$$ off;
spend 4 to 6 months dreaming about warmer weather and spending to much time on internet forums;

There is a reason that Arizona and Florida have a lot of Canadian retirees living the winter months down there.

Just my thoughts (not to be taken to seriously)

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Geo

Mine and my sons are made in Canada,
embossed into the sole a maple leaf, and it says made in Canada
My wife that are goretex upper do not say.
The last pair my wife's where bought at Marks clothing
Geo
P.S. please don't take this as a plug for any store :-)
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #8

I believe we get what you might refer to as serious winter weather here in the Yukon, we just went through a spell of weather that on one night went down to minus 44 C, but at that time I am in bed so Imissed it, Damn.

Through out the day it hovered around minus 37C for a week or so, most of the time if I am just going out to the store or for a brief period 30 minutes or so I just slip on a pair of LL Bean loafers, no lining, and a pair of wool socks.

There are several makes of shoes and boots sold at work warehouse that claim they will keep your feet warm to minus 50 >70 C.
One type of boot sold up here is to be worn with light socks or no socks at all, and will keep your feet warm down to minus 70 C, you can even fill them up with water and they will work down to minus 70 C
These boots were designed and made for the US Army.

My feeling is when they find your body frozen in the snow bank, you can be assured your feet will not be frozen.

After sixty years in the high Arctic and the sub arctic, I have found there is nothing better than wool socks, inside duffles, and a pair of rubbers.
Another thing that helps is insoles made of a fly screen like material between the bottom of your feet and the inside sole of your boot (Air Space)

As an old Eskimo (Inuk) told me 35 years ago. "Only a whiteman will freeze to death" A lot of keeping warm is in your mind and how you act.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

Doug, thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I think I will retract my statement about "serious" winter weather in light of your definitions. We're giving thought to retiring in South Dakota, so I doubt I encounter anything as extreme as those you describe.

I really didn't know how much I disliked the Chicago winters until I left there 25 years ago. I worked outdoors at OHare field for many winters, and it got fairly cold at times. The coldest I experienced was a month long spell of -10 to -20 (F) [-29 C]. The coldest we had was a night of -33 (F) with some fairly substantial winds. Not a pleasant night to be out loading aircraft. Again, nothing like yours though.

Maybe I can find the Canadian-made Sorels around here or on line.

Dave

Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

I was in a fashion store here in Canada yesterday. There were Sorel slippers, but they were made in China.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #11

When I talk about cold weather up here and our minus 45 25 37C etc.
I should qualify that.

I am sure many of you have been in much colder waether than us poor folks up here.

When I talk about serious weather I have failed to also include humidity.

When you mention minus 33 at Ohare and a wind, I think you are in worse weather than us here.

The norh is a very dry place, could even be described as desert like

When we have the low temperatures we will have a humidity level of perhaps 5%, while you folks may have a humidity of 30 to 40%.

You will feel the chill more than we will, we are perhaps just a little uncomfortable.

Today I took a visiting Mariachi group from Mexico out to a freinds place for a dog sled ride, it was minus 26C.
It was record cold for them, I was wearing a jacket so was uncomfortable.

Your cold is I readily admit much worse than ours, and more dangerous for hypothermia because of the humidity.

Doug
Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Garand...Dave I wear a Canadian made zippered dress boot for work. Driving a bus means lots of pedal pressure and movement on the signal buttons and accel/brake. I like the dress look and smooth crepe sole, but I've found out from my dealer that Martino boots are the last Canadian mfg'd boots and are gettin' really expensive. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #13

Hi folks;
I did a bit of research and most of the "shoe-pac" type of boots (including currently mfg. Sorels) are made somewhere in Asia (Vietnam, China, Sri Lanka). LL Bean still offers boots "sewn in Maine" but that may mean the parts were mfg in other locations. I plan on calling them before ordering. They will make a nice birthday present.

Thanks to all for your advice/input, etc.

Dave
Old 02-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #14

Garand;
You say you want to retire to Dakota.
Why not retire to the Yukon, There are probably in the neighborhood of 3000 folks from the lower 48 in our town who have been here for as much as thirty years. (they still vote in USA elections).
I have freinds from Georgia, California, and other points down south.
There is also a lot of cross border visitors coming from Alaska to visit and shop.

We have the best weather, the best health care, the best wilderness, the best fishing the best hunting, do I keep on.
After you are 65 your meds are free, all health care is virtualy free. (for that I have to thank southern canadians and transfer payments, it is a canadian thing)
Fishing is free, hunting is free, visiting parks is free.

You gotta try it to believe it.

Young people bting their parents up here becaus housing is at a low cost for them.

Doug