Canoe on 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Canoe on 5.0

If one wanted to travel with a canoe, how would you carry it on the 5.0 trailer? If you are doing this, could you share a photo?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Better plan on carrying a pretty good size ladder too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
If one wanted to travel with a canoe, how would you carry it on the 5.0 trailer? If you are doing this, could you share a photo?

You don't. First of all you have to get it up and down. Second, you have to tow the trailer to the put-in / take-out or move it to the vehicle so you can do that.
I carried my canoe atop my tent trailer once. Not my best idea.
You can get a rack for the roof of the tow vehicle and if that's not enough, add a support from the front bumper.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Not a canoe but a 16' hobie islander kayak
Attached Thumbnails
ky3.jpg   ky3-4.jpg  
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Stay off the roof

Get a rack for the truck, that way you can take you canoe after your setup. You may need a tall support off of your front bumper, a hitch and rack store could get you set up. I don't like to see any weight on top of the roof of these trailers, its like standing on an upside down canoe, your going right through.

http://www.myrvstuff.com/tripphotos/RigRack.jpg
Old 07-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use a set of Thule roof racks with the canoe brackets on the truck. I initially was going to use a single rack (yes, you can buy just 1) on the roof of the truck and a "T" off a front receiver but it got pretty pricey, it's also a long distance between the 2. My shorter canoes would only have had about a foot overhanging the rack, not very stable, something like 12-13' between them. My shortest canoe is 12'.

The 2 roof rack sections end up about 3-4 apart, kind of narrow but with the vehicle specific feet and the canoe brackets it's pretty solid. Just did a 700 mile trip with the 14 1/2'er and had no issues. At high speeds, like 65, and high winds, I did see the front shaking back and forth a couple inches, but again, no problems.

I have an F150 8' bed and a supercab, close to 6' between the back of the cab and the front of the trailer. From what I can tell the distance between the tailgate and the center of the hitch stays the same as bed size varies, so if you get a supercab with a 5.5' bed the back of the cab to the trailer distance would only be 3.5' +/-. Don't think I;d want to try a canoe on roof racks in that instance, it'd be hanging off the front too far. I keep 6-12" between the tip of the canoe and the trailer. If you have a short bed you are probably best off seeing if you can make a front "T" work. Do look into the distance and see if it'll work for you.

Phlbua has a set of Kayaks and a short bed so it can be done, I wouldn't be comfortable doing it with a canoe. Looks like the kayaks are right side up whereas I carry canoes upside down, 7 or 8' of a 15 or 16' upside down canoe protruding out front is going to hang down pretty far, depending on it's rocker.

You could look into inflatables too.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #7

Trailer: none
Great info, thanks! I knew there must be a way to do it. We plan on getting a SuperCrew with 6.5' bed.

I actually meant to ask about kayaks (which are shorter) rather than canoes. That's what happens when you post when you're tired, I guess.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
I use an inflatable tandem kayak. weighs about 50 lbs and fits in a bag I toss into the back of the truck. Mine is an older Stearns, but Advanced Elements and Chinook both make great kayaks.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I actually meant to ask about kayaks (which are shorter) rather than canoes.

That's OK. A kayak is a canoe, but a canoe may or may not be a kayak.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I use a folding kayak -Oru easy to fit into truck 30 pounds -love it. i cant lift a normal kayak up on top of a truck. i can unfold my kayak and get it into the water much faster then getting one off a truck /car.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote