Cappuccino anyone..... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Works for me....how about a cappuccino?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Split?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do we want to change this thread name to Coffee musings??
Sure. And merge it with previous coffee threads.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Split?
Sounds like a forum admn to me?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:00 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Reading this forum plus a testimonial from my son and daughter-in-law led us to get an Aeropress. After trying many variations based on advice from other users, we came to the conclusion that our Melita drip coffee produces more flavour (all good) using the same coffee, but uses almost 30% less to produce the same strength brew.

Bob K
You need to do what you find works best for you.

For many years I used a Melita drip to make coffee. Very good coffee can be made with it, but I find the flavour profile the AeroPress produces to be much fuller and brighter , especially using the stainless steel filter. The amount of grounds used should be the same regardless of how it is extracted, usually somewhere just over 20 grams for 12 ounces of brew. (I double this amount most times when brewing) I suspect you might not have been letting it brew long enough while stirring, before pressing . I usually press after near a minute, depending on the origin of the beans.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sounds like a forum admn to me?
I know it's silly but I keep thinking when I open this thread that it will be about Build Sheet Questions, and since that's where I am in my Escavolution, I (almost) feel like Charlie Brown with Lucy and the football.

I'd read about coffee, too; although I am firmly in the boil-water-in-the-kettle-on-the-stove-and-pour-over Melitta-paper-filter camp. JB's advice on the grinder was helpful.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:42 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cappuccino anyone.....

Thread split from other
Old 07-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Now the title is misleading.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Blasphemous, I tell you.
If we were camping together, you would have to drink your coffee with my wife, or Doug from Claresholm. LOL

12V? LOL

AeroPress® | AEROBIE® High Performance Sport Toys

I don't use the AreoPress like they describe to do it, but change it up somewhat. I have developed a method I like which gives two good cups of Americano style coffee.
Hi Jim,

I would be interested in your method of getting two cups from one Aeropress. We travel with two of them and use the inverted method. BTW, I use a modified corn popper to roast my beans. It works well but it makes very small batches and smokes up the house quite a bit.

If anyone really wants to get into Aeropress coffee makers just google it and you will find world competitions and all kinds of recipes.

John
Old 08-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
Hi Jim,

I would be interested in your method of getting two cups from one Aeropress. We travel with two of them and use the inverted method. BTW, I use a modified corn popper to roast my beans. It works well but it makes very small batches and smokes up the house quite a bit.

If anyone really wants to get into Aeropress coffee makers just google it and you will find world competitions and all kinds of recipes.

John
Sorry, late back to the party. I was on a canoe trip last week, and just got in late last night. Used the AeroPress to make coffee for 6 people every morning.

I have tried the inverted method a few times, and really can't tell any difference. We tried a taste test once with using the conventional and inverted method side-by-side, and even used two Areopresses. There were 6 of us, and nobody could make out any difference. While I let the grounds bloom, I might lose a few drops to the cup below, and while stirring for up to a minute, barely enough to cover the bottom of the cup comes through, leaving plenty of hot water left to do a full extraction.

I know I posted bits on how I use my AeroPress before, but I will try to be concise with an explanation here. This is not a method described by AeroPress, just something I arrived at in the past 8+ years of using it.

1. I grind about 40-45 grams of beans to a medium-fine consistency, slightly coarser that that used for pour through. These are placed in the AeroPress ready for extraction.
2. I bring about 3 cups of water to a full boil, then fill the AeroPress plunger right full. By pouring in the plunger, it brings the water temp down to a reasonable temperature for extraction.
3. I then stir in about 1" of the the water into the fresh ground coffee, and let the grounds bloom (some varieties, especially if freshly roasted bloom a lot). This usually takes 20-30 secs.
4. I then give a quick stir to knock the grounds back down again, and slowly stir in the rest of the water, stirring for 30-45 secs, sometimes a bit more, all depending upon the coffee origin, and roast level.
5. I then press the coffee, using a very soft press, as pressing hard from the start seems to clog a filter easier.
6. The resulting 'juice' is then divided into two cups, and topped up with the boiled water. You can do this to taste, depending on how strong you like it. I never do more that a total of 12 oz.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
After reading the step-by-step process, I could almost smell your coffee. Yup, the AeroPress is what we use too. Great instructions, Jim.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:02 AM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I recently bought a stainless steel filter for my AeroPress. I was going to try the two different designs, then I got lazy and just took Jim's advice and bought the brand he recommended - seemed like a safe choice.

Quote:
While I let the grounds bloom, I might lose a few drops to the cup below, and while stirring for up to a minute, barely enough to cover the bottom of the cup comes through, leaving plenty of hot water left to do a full extraction.
I have noticed that less drips through under only gravity with the stainless filter than with the stock paper filter - this might be one reason that you don't need the inverted technique.

Quote:
5. I then press the coffee, using a very soft press, as pressing hard from the start seems to clog a filter easier.
The characteristic that I have found annoying about the stainless filter (compared to paper) is that some grounds always stay caked onto the filter and need to be removed. Perhaps I need to adjust brewing method or just the pressing rate to avoid this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:11 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
The characteristic that I have found annoying about the stainless filter (compared to paper) is that some grounds always stay caked onto the filter and need to be removed. Perhaps I need to adjust brewing method or just the pressing rate to avoid this.[/QUOTE]

Have you thought about using your tooth brush? Might be a nice morning preview.

They make bacon flavored tooth paste .... now if I could only find egg flavored .... I could skip breakfast
Old 09-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #54

Slide the SS filter off the side, with the press inverted, to scrape off grounds stuck to it. A HOT water rinse seems to clean it better than brushes do.

I found on the occasions that I left the grounds in the press longer after brewing, the grounds are less likely to stick. Not possible when you are pounding out 6-10 batches in a row when with a group though.