Casita 17' vs Escape 17B - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 4500, 2019 Escape 19'er completed 8/2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
To add to your comfort level, I tow my 17B with a RAV4 Sport V6. My buddy tows his 19 with a Highlander.
That's very encouraging...thanks!
MTSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
MTSuz--
I was about to pull the trigger on a Casita SD when I had the opportunity to get inside an Escape 19, and chose the Escape over the Casita. On the towing point, the Casita 17 SD and the Escape 19 both weigh (dry, and before options) just under 3000 lbs., and both will tow, with a couple of hundred pounds of options and loaded, at around 800-1000 lbs more than that. I don't know what the towing capacity of your Highlander is, but if it can handle one, it can handle the other. I assume the Escape 17s are a bit lighter than the Escape 19s, so if tow weight is critical, that might tilt you towards the Escape instead of the Casita.

For me, when I realized that the Escape 19 and the Casita 17SD were comparable towing propositions, the Escape was an easy choice--though it does cost about 15-20% more than a comparably kitted out Casita (and my guess is that it's pretty easy to increase that differential, if you don't exercise a little financial discipline).
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This video tour of the Escape 17 might help too

Old 02-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012 17' Liberty Casita
Hello,
We had a 17' Spirit for about 5 years, and we loved it. However, we are getting older and night bathroom use increased. Climbing over or waking the other up got to be a hassle. We sold Cassie and found Libby, our 17' Liberty. Now we have it set up with twin beds, which we use as benches by day and beds at night. We added a fold down side table in the galley and added shelving in the spacious closet. There is plenty of floor space and sleep space for us and our two kitties. We love it! I'm sure the Escape 17' is very nice, especially if you have colder climate, but here in Florida our cozy, easy to pull, easy to maintain, versatile Liberty is perfect for us.
Kateyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #25

Hi,

We own a 17B since 2012 and use it 50>75 days each summer.

I really like the vinyl wall coverings for a quick cleanup. A wipe with a damp cloth and some Sunlight soap and you are done.
How you would clean the walls/ceilings in the Casita is unknown. Shag carpet - really.

regards,

Don
Don Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 E19
For me, one of the big draws of the Escape is the wood cabinetry versus the white FG cabinets in the Casita. I just like the look of wood; it's sort of a cozy, comforting 'cabin in the forest' feel.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:53 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now that wood comes in maple or oak, but the oak maybe on the way out. Seems like we will have 2ngG vs classic models and now a submenu 2ndG oak and 2ndG maple......progress I guess.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:01 AM   #28

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
I totally agree with the sound advice of trying to check out & step inside ANY trailer or RV you're considering prior to deciding to purchase. That said, when it comes to Casita vs. Escape I am a confirmed Escapee! We purchased our 17B way back in 2005 when Reace & Tammy were just getting the business going. We considered and checked out Casitas, Scamps, and Bigfoots but chose the Escape. I have friends who recently bought a Casita because it was slightly less money and Casita could expedite completion and delivery. The wife in this case has not been totally happy with the choice. The Escapes just seem to have a bit more room and I prefer the lay-out. Also, we live close to the Canadian border so it is convenient for us to go to the factory. Considering your home location, it might be easier for you to take delivery of an Escape in southern British Columbia rather than drive down to Texas to pick up a Casita. One more thing: Escape did not yet offer their 19' unit but if I could do it over that model would be my choice. I can't convince my wife to upgrade though, she loves our 17B too much! I recommend you take a hard look at both the 17B and the 19. Good luck!
Art Nakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Nakis View Post
I totally agree with the sound advice of trying to check out & step inside ANY trailer or RV you're considering prior to deciding to purchase. That said, when it comes to Casita vs. Escape I am a confirmed Escapee! We purchased our 17B way back in 2005 when Reace & Tammy were just getting the business going. We considered and checked out Casitas, Scamps, and Bigfoots but chose the Escape. I have friends who recently bought a Casita because it was slightly less money and Casita could expedite completion and delivery. The wife in this case has not been totally happy with the choice. The Escapes just seem to have a bit more room and I prefer the lay-out. Also, we live close to the Canadian border so it is convenient for us to go to the factory. Considering your home location, it might be easier for you to take delivery of an Escape in southern British Columbia rather than drive down to Texas to pick up a Casita. One more thing: Escape did not yet offer their 19' unit but if I could do it over that model would be my choice. I can't convince my wife to upgrade though, she loves our 17B too much! I recommend you take a hard look at both the 17B and the 19. Good luck!
Great story and advice. Glad to see an early Escape owner on the forum. Many of the posts seem to be from owners of newer trailers (mostly due to veteran owners choosing to upgrade) so I hope you are active and share your experiences. (...and one minor correction...it is Tammy, not Heidi)
Old 03-01-2019, 06:43 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Nakis View Post
Wow, where have you been Art?, one of the original Escape owners and only 3 posts, come back more often with your historical information, others may want to hear.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Sorry about messing up Tammy’s name! That part of the old memory gets more challenging every day. And I do enjoy this Forum, but I read a lot more entries than I post. We took delivery of our trailer at the old factory nearer to downtown Chilliwack and there were only maybe 15 employees. Their business has sure grown, as will happen when you offer great products & service.
Art Nakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Friend of mine and long time Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 owner stepped foot into my 17b and the first thing he said was that it seemed like I have more room than him. One irritant to Casitas is the fact that they have rivets installed thru the exterior shell to hold various parts of the interior together. These rivets require inspection and replacement occasionally due to flexing and wear as the trailer bounces down the highway. I like how the Escape has minimal holes in the exterior in this regard. Fewer holes equals less water leak possibility.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Still friends?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Still friends?
Absolutely!😅

Casita is a great trailer too. I almost ordered a new 16SD before I got lucky and found my 17b local. I do prefer the Escape wood and vinyl interior over the Casita fiberglass. The carpet walls of the Casita don't bother me a bit.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 17' Liberty Casita
True

I too think the escape is a great trailer, but the Casita liberty is the only fb trailer we found with the twin bed option, at least so far and that is affordable. We are too old to do the nightly climb over necessary when the bed is across the trailer. The way we have it configured gives us plenty of floor space and, with a fold down added extension, plenty of counter space too. Plus room for the kitties. 😀
Kateyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #36

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
We have now had our 1997, 17' Casita for three years, and have pulled it thousands of miles. The previous owners pulled it all over as well. It pulls perfectly and everything inside, with the exception of the air conditioner, is original and still working. This thing had been stored outside since new, until we bought it. It now appears to be worth more than we paid for it three years ago. It does pop rivets once in a while but it is nothing to replace them.

We went to one of the Escape gatherings and had a chance to go inside many different trailers. As far as size any floor plans none of the escapes seemed that much different than the Casita. In other words I never felt like switching to a larger Escape would be a considerable advantage. They are all small trailers with wet baths.

As far as a quality comparison I cannot speak directly of Escape quality, but I can't imagine a 23 year old Escape would have held up any better than our Casita.
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:54 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We’ve owned both a 2013 Casita 17 SD and a 2018 Escape 21
The Escape 21 definitely feels and is larger but beyond that they are remarkably similar.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Nothing beats a hands/eyes-on tour and that can usually be easily arranged for both brands no matter where you are located.

IMO that'll quickly reveal there's lots of differences between Casitas and Escapes, even when comparing 17-to-17.

Having enjoyed my '05 17' Casita Deluxe since new, I would not be concerned about their build-quality, robust-ness, or longevity. IMO that should not be a factor in the decision one way or the other, there's plenty of other things that could make one preferable to the other for any given individual's tastes and needs.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Pictures can only tell you so much, I would agree with others, you will see that an Escape has more space then a Casita. We had a 2004 17' SD and loved it for the 5 years we had it but we wanted a little more space and one thing we still say when we get inside the Escape, wow for 4' more feet look how much bigger this feels.
If cost is a factor at all a Casita will cost less I believe but still getting a quality trailer I would recommend to anyone.
WE said the same thing,,,the E21C is really so much more than "4' bigger" inside due to being higher, less rounded off at the top and wider, awa 4' longer..than our previous Casita Independence 17'. I noticed a uuuge difference in upper cabinets where the E21 is more squared off and there4 gives us waaay more room INSIDE upper cabinets. Plus we even added another wardrobe cabinet above the "2 drawer cabinet" on driver's side! You can see the pix here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-8031-129.html
If that does not load, go to 'its friday 2017' thread and search for page 129. You can see the pix at final build and can also see the added larger optional sink, which Holly loves. Our casita was the dbl twin bed model and had only 14" between the 2 beds, making it problematic getting stuff out of the lower cabinets at times. That is where the extra width of the E21 shines.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, comparison, spirit