Casita 17' vs Escape 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 4500, 2019 Escape 19'er completed 8/2019
Casita 17' vs Escape 17B

Hi all -

Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe or Liberty Deluxe vs Escape 17B ?

We have had two 1970s era fiberglass trailers (Compact Junior then a Trillium 4500) for the last 20 years. We're ready to bring it into this millennium, and maybe even buying a brand new unit. I am super excited; DH is humoring me.

We will tow with a Toyota Highlander or similar. I think we have narrowed it down to the choices above. On initial look, I like the layout of the Casita better. I like the small dinette in the middle for added kitchen counter space and for socializing in the middle instead of tucked at the end of the camper. Plus I like the possibility of having a bed larger than a double.

But I think I like the construction quality and the general amenities of the Escape better. I'd love to hear from you escape owners who can share why an Escape 17'er vs the same from Casita.

FYI, we are much more boondocking campers than campground users. Plugging in, electronics, etc are not a big deal for us. And we are from Montana so will appreciate a camper that will keep us cozy in the shoulder season.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!
MTSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ahhh, there's no way I'd buy the same size trailer, even if it is newer. The reason to change to a different trailer IMHO is to either upsize or downsize or change to a better layout. I don't see that happening with what you already own. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Welcome. You may find value in reviewing this thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...else-1767.html
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #4

Hi Donna - We are wanting to upsize a bit, as well as to be camping in something from the current century or, to be more pointed about it, in something that's not a project since we are not very good projecteers.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks Rubicon327!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ahhh, there's no way I'd buy the same size trailer, even if it is newer. The reason to change to a different trailer IMHO is to either upsize or downsize or change to a better layout. I don't see that happening with what you already own. YMMV
The Compact Junior is 13’ and the Trillium 4500 is 15’. Wouldn’t an Escape 17 be upsizing?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We bought a new Casita 17 ft SD in 2013 and still own it at this time.
We have never owned an Escape 17 so I have no experience or comments
Our Casita has served us well with very few problems . It has been extremely dependable and the quality for the price is excellent . We converted the rear table into a permanent bed which has worked out well for us .
We went from a 16 ft Scamp to a 17 ft Casita , the change was noticeable but not huge or significant

Good Luck
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We've owned a Scamp, Casita, Bigfoot, and now an Escape. The Bigfoot and Escape with the double pane windows are much warmer than either the Scamp or Casita. Cold air, in the single pane Scamp or Casita, would come streaming down from the windows in 10-40 degree weather onto our heads making for a not so pleasurable experience. The Escape has much more insulation and that's very noticeable. Because we like to camp in the shoulder seasons in cold weather (down to 0 degrees) the Escape was a no-brainer for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I can't really tell from your post if you have been inside the actual trailers. Having had a slew of Scamps, a 17B and now the 19 Escape and being very familiar with the Casita's I think walking in each trailer would resolve it for you.
For me personally the 17B would win out over the Casita (although a very nice trailer), just from the roomier feel when inside the Escapes and not having carpet on the walls.
Moving up just a bit to a 19 Escape would bring so many advantages to the table over the 17 Casita that it wouldn't be a fair fight.
Good luck with your decision....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21NE
We bought our Escape 17B last year. We looked at and walked in an Escape 19, Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe and the Scamp 13 and 16 ft. Why didn't we buy a Casita 17ft - it was small inside. When the owner and I went inside to look at the trailer my husband and her husband were talking outside. We had to get out of the trailer so they could come inside. There is no way we could see 4 people in that trailer. When we went to look at the Escape 17A - well all I can say is there were 5 adults in there plus 2 little dogs and we did not feel cramped. I know an Escape 17A has more room than Escape 17B (no bathroom makes a difference), but we love our Escape 17B.

I agree with the previous post - you really do need to go inside each trailer you're interested in. In spending some time inside each trailer you will get a feel for the space around you and then you'll know exactly what you want and be happy with your purchase.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 AM   #11

Thanks all. We have not yet been in either the Casita or Escape 17 footers. If we can do that, I'm sure it will answer lots of questions. Casita's website makes them look so light and bright and open, where Escapes look a bit more chopped up to me. We are hoping to arrange visits with local (well local by Montana standards) owners. I do love that the Escapes are so easily customizable.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Pictures can only tell you so much, I would agree with others, you will see that an Escape has more space then a Casita. We had a 2004 17' SD and loved it for the 5 years we had it but we wanted a little more space and one thing we still say when we get inside the Escape, wow for 4' more feet look how much bigger this feels.
If cost is a factor at all a Casita will cost less I believe but still getting a quality trailer I would recommend to anyone.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
We have a 17B that we tow with our Highlander and it works well. We moved up from a 13' Scamp. The corners in the Escape are much less rounded than the Scamp so the same sized full bed is actually much bigger in the Escape. I don't have experience with Casitas. One thing we like about the layout of the 17 is that the small dinette is separated from the bed area. If one of us is up late, we can use the corner light and it doesn't bother the person who is sleeping. We use the counter on the wardrobe for meal prep and a staging area as food goes outside.
So many good choices! Enjoy.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I suspect you will find most of those here at the Escape forum prefer the Escape 17, while a similar request at one of the Casita forums might just result in a different response.

I had a 17B for 6 years before moving to a 21 because I wanted an oven, and saw many Casita's at rallies. The Escape feels more open, but I strongly suggest climbing through each brand before making a purchase. Find a rally near you or call the factories & ask for a referral to an owner near you. Most owners are happy to show off their trailers.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSuz View Post
Thanks all. We have not yet been in either the Casita or Escape 17 footers. If we can do that, I'm sure it will answer lots of questions. Casita's website makes them look so light and bright and open, where Escapes look a bit more chopped up to me. We are hoping to arrange visits with local (well local by Montana standards) owners. I do love that the Escapes are so easily customizable.
Not sure your timeframe, but we're planning to be over your way sometime in early June with our 19, if you wanted to look at it. Or we're a quick 6 hours over the hill to the west, buried in snow at present so not going anywhere in the near future!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Not sure your time frame, but we're planning to be over your way sometime in early June with our 19, if you wanted to look at it.
That is sure to corrupt them. They certainly wouldn't be the first to consider a 17 and switch to a 19. Once you see the permanent queen bed, larger fridge, 3" more interior height and dual axles it's hard to look back.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
MTSuz:
I'm the happy owner of a 17B. We purchased it (new) in 2015. Did quite a lot of research on both the Casita 17" SE and the Escape. I'm having trouble replying to your post--send me a personal email, and we can communicate concerning this question.
Dave Smith
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #18

Hi Howard and Kim - Great to hear that your Highlander is happy towing a 17B. We do mostly rough camping so it would entail hills, dirt roads, ruts, etc...not just highway rolling, so we want to stay comfortably under the max towing capacity. Thanks for the input about layout and amenities (i.e. corner light for late night readers).
Old 02-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
MTSuz:
I'm the happy owner of a 17B. We purchased it (new) in 2015. Did quite a lot of research on both the Casita 17" SE and the Escape. I'm having trouble replying to your post--send me a personal email, and we can communicate concerning this question.
Dave Smith
Hi Dave and Penny - I don't see your email address in your profile. You may email me at this address: suzy and kim at yahoo dot com Thanks so much!
Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSuz View Post
We do mostly rough camping so it would entail hills, dirt roads, ruts, etc...not just highway rolling, so we want to stay comfortably under the max towing capacity.

To add to your comfort level, I tow my 17B with a RAV4 Sport V6. My buddy tows his 19 with a Highlander.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg   Harmon camp.jpg  

Tags
casita, comparison, spirit