Casita to Escape, Happy or Sad - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You are one of very few who are unhappy with their Escape. When you see someone else with an issue, you like to "me too". That prompts others to post a contrary opinion, if they don't have an issue.
Better to post your issues than to insinuate, and to accept that others will have different experiences and opinions.
Glenn, you may want to pay extra special careful attention to your own words "and to accept that others will have different experiences and opinions". Great philosophy, now try to follow it
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Everybody be nice. This thread is about Casita to Escape, Happy or Sad. Please get back on task.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 1721
We had as Casita 17 SD for 3.5 years. Coming from the sailing world, it was our first camper. We took pride in owning the Casita and it provided many memories and experiences as a small land yacht. After realizing we wanted to pursue farther distances with longer duration's, we decided to move to a 21. I'd been eyeing Escapes for a few years, so we went to look at at 19 in Virginia. That visit sold us on buying an Escape. After much contemplation, we ultimately ordered a 21 because we wanted the dinette in the rear. We've now traveled up and down the east cost and the 21 provides the comfort and space we wanted. Having two axles makes towing so much easier and we feel safer. As others have noted, the kitchen countertop space is generous for a trailer of this size and the wider isle makes passing easy (~22" Casita/~34" Escape). The only downside is we had to buy a new truck, but in the end, I'm glad we did. We now travel in comfort and feel safer all around. We won't go back to a Casita and I don't expect we will move to anything else until we can travel for months on end. If that occurs, we'll look at a Bigfoot 25. You can't go wrong with either camper. They are both solid products.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #24

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Had a 2000 (?) Scamp 16 for six years and it was a great camper. The basic design is still from the 70's, with very little improvements. Had a 2007 Casita SD for five years and loved camping in it. We weren't retired and it was a basic model, no water/water heater, no toilet, no black or grey tanks, but lots of room. Worked very well for us.

In the three years after the Casita, we owned (some very, very briefly), 2016 Jayco 23 FB (never pulled camping, sold for a nifty profit), Jayco 33? (I lived in for a year while building our condo), 2017 Cougar 23 (?) pulled out west on one trip to Idaho (top tipped left to right when we encountered a semi, too short a wheelbase for the height), 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ (never should have sold!) that was a great camper, 2014 Lance 1995 (not as well built as their reputation), and now a 2018 Escape 5.0 TA.

We also looked at a 2015 (?) Oliver in immaculate condition, for $39,000 (owner had health conditions and needed the cash, we should have bought and sold for a profit). Olivers are made like tanks, but didn't have the plan we wanted, and the stark white interior felt sterile, not homey.

We felt the Casita was much improved over the Scamp, with a much larger refrigerator, enclosed wheel wells, larger tires, bigger upper cabinets, etc. The Scamp and Casita were great before we retired, but were perfect for trips of 2 weeks or less. The Bigfoot is the ultimate, took two years to finally find one we could afford, but ours was a 2003 and we just can't justify $70,000+ for a new model. We now have 123 nights in our 5.0 and plan to keep this a long, long time. For us, comparing the Casita to our Escape is like comparing apples to oranges. They're just plain different strokes. Both are made well.

We're happy!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Hey Mark,
If I recall, tried hard to get you to look at the Escape initially back when you jumped in the game, but having a molded glass trailer and using it all the time as you do is more important. We all have have different paths that we've taken through the different brands, but you will definitely enjoy the Escape room and layout immensely. There have been some real good buys on some used 21's lately as they are coming up more frequently than in the past and might be a consideration to lessen the TV change and trailer.
Good luck in making your decision and look forward to seeing you again soon at the gatherings.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Casita SD 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Hey Mark,
If I recall, tried hard to get you to look at the Escape initially back when you jumped in the game, but having a molded glass trailer and using it all the time as you do is more important. We all have have different paths that we've taken through the different brands, but you will definitely enjoy the Escape room and layout immensely. There have been some real good buys on some used 21's lately as they are coming up more frequently than in the past and might be a consideration to lessen the TV change and trailer.
Good luck in making your decision and look forward to seeing you again soon at the gatherings.
Greg, yes, we met at the Sedona event Christmas before last. We were across from you in our Casita with the Tahoe pic on the front. We did tour your Escape and I appreciate your kindness.

I do believe that our Highlander will be upgraded to a TV more in line with a larger/ heavier trailer. Probably next year unless a REALLY GREAT deal falls in my lap. I am also looking at Bigfoot 25'.

Mark
Old 05-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Love the BF 25, but it does need a beefy tow.
Enjoy the journey.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We went from 17' Casita SD to a 19' Escape. Quality to me is about the same. The 19' escape is twice as big inside and gives up very little in weight or size towing.....or it seems so. Our big Goldendoodle can now sprawl out on the floor at night and we can all pass each other in the hallway! Did I mention the queen bed and the double dinette?
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had an all electric Eggcamper and had installed propane for heat and added solar. I also contemplated installation of thermal windows when the window manufacturer said it was a waste of money, the Eggcamper's shell and lack of insulation was the weak point. Escape Trailer add's extra insulation floor to roof and all around and has thermal windows and propane and solar. This made me switch. We like to camp year around.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
From a Casita to a Escape, Oliver, or Bigfoot, was a hard decision for us, personally all were always in the running for our next trailer. The biggest concern for us was having twin beds and Escape did not offer that bed arrangement only in the 5.0 was it an option, but we didn't want to crawl in and out from an overhead in the middle of the night for the restroom. I really wanted the 5.0 to work, but as you can see the Oliver won out, the Bigfoot also offered twin beds, but it's a bigger trailer and the 21-23 footer was as long as we wanted to go with. I can say this, when we sold our Casita I really missed it, it will always be our first fiberglass trailer and many good camping adventures that we enjoyed in it will be very good memories for a lifetime.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #31

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You still show as owning a 2018 Casita, might think about changing it.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
We were forced to a new trailer when our Casita was flooded by Hurricane Florence. Bought a very nice used E19 as a replacement. About to use for first time in July. Think we will most enjoy more space, larger bed, and a real dining area. Will tell you how happy when we get back in October.
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
The decision for us was easy. We had a 17 Casita Liberty. Hated the floor plan, the narrow aisle way, the lack of a place to sit. In hindsight, the Spirit would have fit us better, even with the smaller bed.

We really didn't understand the importance of floorplan until we owned the Casita. Front bath has a lot of limitations as far as floorplan. First, it limits the size of the dinette. The Spirit dinette is something like 22 inches deep (our Escape dinette is 44 inches deep). Secondly, it eliminates windows on the front. Count the windows on a Casita sometime and do the same with the Escape 19. Third, we have 3X the storage in our Escape versus the Casita. A lot of the lower "storage" on a Casita is full: water tank, water pump, battery, hot water heater, furnace, electrical control center. Yes, our Escape has some of this inside as well, but the battery in the front external box and the water tank under the floor opens up storage.

All that being said, any RV purchase is a luxury, not a necessity. I would NOT do anything to risk my retirement buying any RV. Its just too hard to come up with extra money once you are on a fixed income. I like to say in retirement "its easier to spend money than to find more of it." Spending habits we had when we were both working for a living had to be tightened up!

We manage our discretionary spending closely. Both of our vehicles are 9 years old, one has 167,000 miles on it, the other 120,000 miles. And both were bought used. Fortunately, our Casita tow vehicle (F150) had more than enough power to tow the Escape.

Now do I wish the Escape had fiberglass cabinets and furniture (like the Casita)? Yes for sure! The less wood the better IMHO and the Escape has a lot of wood! Its one thing I like about my old Trillium: all fiberglass interior (no rivets either). Oh, and more windows than my Escape too! But for us, the Trillium is for solo trips.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #34
Djs

Trailer: 2017 escape 17b
You NEED to go with a different layout if there are two you traveling together in a small trailer and you are of a certain age. I lived full time in my 17b for a year and loved it. Then my lady friend and I decided to travel together and we went insane climbing over each other in the middle of the night to get to the bathroom. We need up getting an airstream 23d and this has alleviated the problem, but IMHO the escape 21 has a better layout bedroomwise than the airstream. The foot the bed in the escape is clear all the way across with room to step. In the airstream I still have to climb over her feet when I sleep next to the wa'll.
As far as escape v capita I prefer escapes non po
rous vinyl headliner over casita carpet liner. Much less chance of dust or mold.
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #35
Djs

Trailer: 2017 escape 17b
Oh...and I have enough room to stand up in the Aairstream bathroom now but when I'm on the throne I have to sit with the door open a little or squeeze in sidesaddle. Given that I hardly ever use the shower I think I might have preferred the escape 21 wet bath. Head room and room to sit and think in private
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Smile Two foot itis

Don't hear much about two foot itis lately. It is always thinking that if our boat, rv, were only two feet longer...

We purchased our Trillium 1300 in 2008 and never looked back. We love the fg interior and the size is sufficient for the two of us.
We do use it in non planned ways. For one, we stopped filling the fresh water tank. Couldn't justify carting around 14 gallons (100 lbs) of water. We just carry two heavy plastic gallon juice jugs filled with water. When one is empty, we stop at a Glacier water dispenser.
Never had a refrigerator. I took one look at an appliance that runs off propane, 12 Vdc, or 120 Vac and is transported over the road and said "What can possibly go wrong?" So never ordered it.
We have spent two months at a time in Homelet and never felt the need for more space. The small size did save our bacon one time returning from LL Stub State park, I mistakenly drove down a logging road. When we reached the end with no turn around, unhitching and being able to manually turn the trailer was a God send.
On rainy days, we play cards on the front table. We have dismantled the rear table into a permanent bed.
We had shelves placed in the 'closet'.

We come from tenting and sailing and like the coziness of our little rig which we tow easily with our Subaru.
We were really disappointed when Escape stopped building the 13' and then the 15' models.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #37

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
Casita 2 escape

We had a 2010 SD that I extensively remodeled and we loved it, but in the end it was too crowded. We looked at a escape 19, but it reminded me of the casita. We now have a 2016 escape 21 and we love it. Absolutely no complaints except there is nothing to change. We have a loaded model and I have a hydraulic table. Very happy with the quality.
Jerry and Maria
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Had a Casita 17 SD also for about 2 years - loved it .. but yes, just too cramped .. for 2 "old coots" & a 60 lb. dog... A "1 Butt kitchen" and having to vault over on another into bed (got the SM mattress full time). First saw the Escape at an Egg rally a year ago - just recently went to factory & ordered a 21. difference is night & day .. room to move - tons of storage …. on & on..
As for Happy or Sad - Yes... Extremely happy to get into the Escape -only sad part was that we sold the Casita too fast (2 days @ nearly what we paid for it) - and now have nothing until August …. oh well worth the wait. We too are retirees on fixed incomes -still no brainer - got 95% of our money back out of the Casita - the rest is way worth it - no regrets.. (except 2+ months of no RV..)
DGelotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 19 ft Escape
Like Steve, I kept my Casita Freedom because I have space for both trailers.
I have an Escape 19 that I bought to travel cross country to Florida. I needed it for the extra room, no question.
I've had the Casita for sale this Spring and almost sold it a few weeks ago. Breathed a sigh of relief when the the prospective buyer had a change of heart. Pulled the ads and will keep her.
Miss the fiberglass interior and the pluses of a smaller trailer as I travel solo and will use the Casita for shorter, local trips.
Two different styles of camping.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
We, too switched from 17’ Casita to 21’ Escape. Found both to be high quality. We needed the extra space but other than that we were totally happy with both equally. Pretty much same appliances and stuff with nominal major differences. However I REALLY liked the carpet type walls in the Casita! They both pull equally well but nice to have two axels from a safety perspective!
covey is offline   Reply With Quote