Casita to Escape, Happy or Sad - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Casita SD 17'
Casita to Escape, Happy or Sad

Happy Memorial Day weekend! We have enjoyed our 17' Casita SD for a year and a half. Have made several changes that make the trailer our own, We have attended several rallies and love all the happy fiberglass campers.
There are a few specific issues with the floor plan of our Casita that we may choose to rectify by buying a 21' Escape. This will be a major deal for us as I will want to change my tow vehicle and the cost of the Escape will take a BITE out of our retirement funds,
AND SO, I am asking those of you that made the switch to Escape whether you are SO HAPPY or whether you are SAD and wished you had stayed with Casita.

Mark
Old 05-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We currently own both a 2013 Casita 17 ft SD and a 2018 Escape 21
There are pro’s and cons to both trailers and we are neither SO HAPPY or SO SAD with our Escape . A lot has to do with your personnal expectations , wants and needs .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Frankly, I don't think a 'brand' makes anyone happy. For me it was layout. I can't get the layout I want in any other all-molded-brand.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We went from a Casita to an Escape 21. It was a huge jump in comfort with the wider aisle and more counter space. More storage was a big plus too.

Quality wise probably a toss-up.... though I do think the fiberglass work on the Casita is bit better. It seems thicker and I do prefer the fiberglass interior to the wood in the Escape.

Would we switch back? No way, the space and the floor plan rule!
jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
We are getting ready to make a switch also. We have used our Liberty dx now for over a year and will order the Escape 19 in early September when we make a trip to the Seattle area. We like the Casita but we want a dedicated dinning area and more room and flexibility that the Escape offers. The ability to customize is also a big plus for us since we bought the Casita used and it was our first trailer. Now that we know what we like we are going to make sure the Escape has what we want and probably some things we may or may not use but it will be helpful if we decide to sell and go with something else.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow View Post
We went from a Casita to an Escape 21. It was a huge jump in comfort with the wider aisle and more counter space. More storage was a big plus too.

Quality wise probably a toss-up.... though I do think the fiberglass work on the Casita is bit better. It seems thicker and I do prefer the fiberglass interior to the wood in the Escape.

Would we switch back? No way, the space and the floor plan rule!
From my observation the fiberglass body on my Casita is about double the thickness of the fiberglass on my Escape . The method of construction and how the interior finish / cabinets are mounted / supported is different so that may account for the thickness of fiberglass required .
The walls of my Casita do feel more solid , have far less flex
and the gel coat appears to be slightly thicker .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
While we loved the Casita (had it two years), we were beginning to feel cramped. Especially during one trip that it rained and rained and rained.
Then we decided that the Escape 21 was in our future. After picking it up in November and driving back, we really decided that it is our "dream" trailer. It's big enough that we can actually use the kitchen, has a dedicated dining area and a full size bed! And the storage!!!!! It is amazing how much difference four feet in length and a few inches wider can make. I could go on and on!
SO HAPPY!!!!!!😊
Old 05-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
From my observation the fiberglass body on my Casita is about double the thickness of the fiberglass on my Escape . The method of construction and how the interior finish / cabinets are mounted / supported is different so that may account for the thickness of fiberglass required .
The walls of my Casita do feel more solid , have far less flex
and the gel coat appears to be slightly thicker .
Hi Steve you are correct . Found as thin as 1/32 in on roof . Drilling out the bottom corner in front found over 3/8 in . Wish it was reversed . When I have looked at Olivers and Casita found there fiberglass was at least 1/4 in thick with solid body that do not flex . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I have never owned a Casita....but it seems like if the Casita fiberglass was consistently twice as thick as the Escape that would add a lot to the weight of the Casita, and they aren't really all that heavy, are they? One of the things that has fascinated me about our new 5.0TA is seeing how the cabinetry, and the underlying wood framework that is fiberglassed to the shell, is all integral in the structure of the trailer. It feels very solid to me, and I would think that the thinnest shell that could still be structurally as strong as it needs to be would be optimal.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I have never owned a Casita....but it seems like if the Casita fiberglass was consistently twice as thick as the Escape that would add a lot to the weight of the Casita, and they aren't really all that heavy, are they? One of the things that has fascinated me about our new 5.0TA is seeing how the cabinetry, and the underlying wood framework that is fiberglassed to the shell, is all integral in the structure of the trailer. It feels very solid to me, and I would think that the thinnest shell that could still be structurally as strong as it needs to be would be optimal.
Let's hope you don't get sink holes in your roof. Pat
Old 05-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Let's hope you don't get sink holes in your roof. Pat
Has that been a problem?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have now cut out 4 large holes and drilled a bunch of holes in the shell of my 2017 5.0TA and the shell has been near 3/16" in all cases, so I have no issue at all with thin weakness in my shell. Maybe there was a time period where there was less of a shell? Haven't heard anything bad but from a few folks, which is not good in all ways for them.

Here are samples from a couple different cut-outs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell X-scet.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	39386

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell X-sect2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	39387
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Has that been a problem?
Yes David one sink hole I just installed my fiberglass solar on top and now it probably is a lot stronger ,it added another 1/4 in .Pat
Old 05-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have now cut out 4 large holes and drilled a bunch of holes in the shell of my 2017 5.0TA and the shell has been near 3/16" in all cases, so I have no issue at all with thin weakness in my shell. Maybe there was a time period where there was less of a shell? Haven't heard anything bad but from a few folks, which is not good in all ways for them.

Here are samples from a couple different cut-outs.

Attachment 39386

Attachment 39387
Can you please tell me what your trailer has to do what the rest of us find ? I do have some pieces to show . The most irritating is when someone with a different experience or outcome some of you pile on .Doesn't make yours the norm or right .
On another note .....Hope you are doing well in your recovery . Pat
Old 05-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The most irritating is when someone with a different experience or outcome some of you pile on .Doesn't make yours the norm or right .
Pat

Why so defensive?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Casita SD 17'
Thanks for all the input
So far seems no one who switched wants to go back.
Donna, I must agree, it is floorplan than will most influence our decision.
Mark
Old 05-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We had our Casita 17 (LD) for 16 years before switching to our Escape 21. There were places we could park the Casita that the 4 ft. longer Escape will not fit, but that's really the only downside to the change. For us. Can't imagine going back... YMMV.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why so defensively?
Glen just going to stand up for myself . It happens . Last week real bad on another . And I know what the problems were , but not my place to disclose . It is usually not a good idea to air your issues because you will get piled on . Doesn't scare me but try to keep the peace so most of the time will keep a lid on . I wish we could be honest good or bad . I also learn from the bad and want the truth . Pat
Old 05-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You are one of very few who are unhappy with their Escape. When you see someone else with an issue, you like to "me too". That prompts others to post a contrary opinion, if they don't have an issue.
Better to post your issues than to insinuate, and to accept that others will have different experiences and opinions.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
I'm with you Pat. I have an older Escape that luckily hasn't had any issues. But I think it's important for people to speak up if they have issues come up. IMHO, it can only make a great product even better. Unfortunately, you are not the only one who feels unsafe to point out a deficiency due to the "piling on", which is a shame. Thankfully, some of the worst offenders seem to have softened their edges, and I hope that continues. As Donna says, YMMV.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote