Cat owners - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17B
Cat owners

New member, prospective buyer of a 17' Plan B, but am wondering where cat owners are putting the litter box. The girls are inside cats so will be spending the time inside. I plan on using the 4 person dinette as a permanent bed. Hopefully there is a solution to my dilemma.
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat M View Post
New member, prospective buyer of a 17' Plan B, but am wondering where cat owners are putting the litter box. The girls are inside cats so will be spending the time inside. I plan on using the 4 person dinette as a permanent bed. Hopefully there is a solution to my dilemma.
My cats won't be traveling with us in our trailer, but if we were to take them along on a regular basis, I would consider utilizing one of the lower cabinet spaces with an entrance for the cats. Of course, it would mean giving up valuable cabinet space, but then you wouldn't have to worry about mess and odor. In my opinion, it would be a worthy trade off. You should ask ETI if they've done something similar in the past.
Attached Thumbnails
92c07b116533e33df6e1238599450936--hidden-litter-boxes-kitty-litter-boxes.jpg  
Rapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapha View Post
My cats won't be traveling with us in our trailer, but if we were to take them along on a regular basis, I would consider utilizing one of the lower cabinet spaces with an entrance for the cats. Of course, it would mean giving up valuable cabinet space, but then you wouldn't have to worry about mess and odor. In my opinion, it would be a worthy trade off. You should ask ETI if they've done something similar in the past.
They have done so. An opening was cut I think in both the dinette cabinet and under the bed. Different owners. Can't remember the specifics.

When I had Lucy in the trailer with me, I put a small litter box on the floor of the bathroom. I have plastic "tile" flooring in there and when she peed outside the box (it was a small box and she was crippled, so she peed outside her larger home box a lot, so it wasn't unexpected that she did the same in the much smaller box) I just washed it down with the showerhead.

While this photo doesn't show the cat box in there, you can see the flooring. I used 4 tiles and cut 'em to fit.

Rugged Grip-Loc Tiles - Outdoor Patio Interlocking tile
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04971.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
They have done so. An opening was cut I think in both the dinette cabinet and under the bed. Different owners. Can't remember the specifics.

When I had Lucy in the trailer with me, I put a small litter box on the floor of the bathroom. I have plastic "tile" flooring in there and when she peed outside the box (it was a small box and she was crippled, so she peed outside her larger home box a lot, so it wasn't unexpected that she did the same in the much smaller box) I just washed it down with the showerhead.

While this photo doesn't show the cat box in there, you can see the flooring. I used 4 tiles and cut 'em to fit.

Ha, that's something I hadn't thought of. It's so nice to meet some other cat people on this forum.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Ha, that's something I hadn't thought of. It's so nice to meet some other cat people on this forum.
Yeah, I put adult pee pads around the cat box in the house and that worked just fine. Hey, she stood in the box, so as far as she was concerned she was just fine.

Yep, there's some of us cat owners here. Some even travel with their kitties. I tried my current kitty Spike in there the other night, while at home. He did okay. We'll try it some more before actually camping with him. Lucy died the end of February.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Yeah, I put adult pee pads around the cat box in the house and that worked just fine. Hey, she stood in the box, so as far as she was concerned she was just fine.

Yep, there's some of us cat owners here. Some even travel with their kitties. I tried my current kitty Spike in there the other night, while at home. He did okay. We'll try it some more before actually camping with him. Lucy died the end of February.
Oh, I'm so sorry about your Lucy. We've done a lot of cat rescues, fostering and adoptions over the years, and we've lost quite a few little ones during that time. It never gets any easier. I'm impressed that you're able to take them camping with you. I had to laugh at your comment about the litter box. I've got a couple of males that think that as long as they've got two feet in the box, they're good to go no matter which way their rear end is pointing. Good luck with Spike! I'm going to have to see if any of mine want to try an RV trip.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 17
How to folks go about keeping cats from scratching up the Vinyl walls? Thanks.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
That's a good question. I don't have my trailer yet, so I have no idea what that material is like. I do know that my cats only scratch materials with texture, like certain upholstery. If the vinyl walls are smooth, it may not be an issue. It sure would be a deal breaker if they could scratch the walls.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cats and the stock vinyl coating do not mix, the vinyl will tear from cat claws. Perhaps a covering on the exposed areas.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
It sure would be a deal breaker if they could scratch the walls.
Well they could, question is if they would. Depends on the cat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks, If an entrance can be made under the dinette, that might work.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
My girls use a cardboard 'scratch pad'.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat M View Post
My girls use a cardboard 'scratch pad'.
As does Spike.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
It sure would be a deal breaker if they could scratch the walls.
For the cats or for the trailer ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I travel with 2 cats. I use the "Clevercat" top loading litter box and there are no misses. My cats are declawed(front) so no scratching. They are indoor cats and show no curiosity to what's outdoors other than sometimes what's outside the back window in the 19.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #16

Trailer: 17
What about when they don't decide to scratch. But get up from laying down, reach up high and stretch those front legs?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
What about when they don't decide to scratch. But get up from laying down, reach up high and stretch those front legs?
No problems so far with them scratching anything in the trailer.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
For the cats or for the trailer ?
LOL, for letting my cats in the RV.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
What about under the permanent bed? Wall off an appropriate sized space, if you need the rest of the room for storage.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote