Cell phone booster - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought camping was to get away from it all, to disconnect from the outside world and relax. Perhaps it is a generation gap here in thinking, but I only turn on my cell phone when I plan on making a call, otherwise it stays off.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought camping was to get away from it all, to disconnect from the outside world and relax. Perhaps it is a generation gap here in thinking, but I only turn on my cell phone when I plan on making a call, otherwise it stays off.
There are many reasons people camp, but still need to stay in touch. I was in the Tetons when there was a death in my family. Zero cell service in the campground for me. Worst 24 hours of my life after I connected with one bar and the messages started showing up. An experience I never want to have again and I'll pay whatever it takes to make certain I can connect.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What did we do before cell phones, we relaxed and waited until getting home to retrieve our messages if you had one of those fancy machines. I remember a teenaged friend who said he had to be call or be home by 11 or he slept in the car because his parents did not want their sleep to be disturbed after 11 so they unplugged the phone. Disconnect was an alternative then from our corded phones but we survived.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Keep in mind, servicing my clients with a cell phone allows me to be out here. I am at the end of my consulting business and will focus on book sales mostly going forward. But I am quite tickled that people still think enough of my skills that they want me to be a part of their team.

I got a health scare a few years back and now I want change. This partially allows me to go get it. Times are changing and now I think I can make this work.

That's all.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had full plans on getting a cell booster, and who knows still may, but in the few years since have hardly ever hit a place I camped without service, or the worst case was having to drive 15 minutes to send or check messages. This said, I have kinda backed away from getting a booster.

I used to love that down by the river on our rec land I could get no service as it gave me the freedom from using it. A 2 minute drive, or 5 minute walk got me to good service. In the last couple years it seems they have boosted the signal as we do now get service there and I found myself wasting time on the phone, so I usually either abandon it or turn it off and just check it occasionally. I do this too wherever I camp much of the time.

Driving, I know Lisa might like service to check out social media once in a while, but obviously I could care less, as I don't use my phone when driving. Stretches of highway without signal are very short most places I have travelled.

We too have missed receiving serious messages of family death while camping, but even if we had of got the news quicker nothing for us would have changed.

We all have differing priorities though, and nothing wrong with that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We also have new services on the horizon that will hopefully alleviate remote areas for both homes and camping. Starlink, a mesh satellite internet system, is already running with some military applications and is supposed to be released to consumers in Northeast US/Canada this year and globally in 2021. If you can see the sky you will have internet.
3 years ago we had spotty cell service at the Quartzsite gathering and McDonald’s or the library parking was jammed at night. The last couple years I’ve had good service sitting in the trailer or hiking there. Coverage is rapidly improving.
We do have one remote forest service campground N of Flagstaff we stay at quite a bit that has no cell service. Each time we stay it gets closer. Use to have to drive about a mile to get service, now you can walk about 1/4 mi and hit service. Expect it will have service soon.
I agree with Jim, that it would be nice to be free, but as Donna says, for emergencies both directions it is good to have connections. Also, full-timers or workers need reliable services.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6380.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	44306 Consumer Reps Feb 2020
Old 01-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Cell bost??

LOL we live in a semi-rural area of central TN and down in a small valley between two 800 ft ridges and have near zero cell service..but we have wifi w "comunist-cast cable", so hafta use wifi calling 99% of the time and this works for us...til we drive out of the area of the valley to where a tower can be accessed.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #29

Here is something interesting. I hate phones. I almost never use them except for texting. I almost never get a call unless it is from some company.

I want to use it, do my work, put it away and go play. My problem is I can't stay away from the news. Everything is so crazy today.

Greg, if what you are saying it true, that is pretty exciting.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Attachment 44306 Consumer Reps Feb 2020
That's for wifi, not cellular signal boost. Just set up a mesh wifi in house and works great. New Wifi 6 is out and even if you don't have those devices yet the nodes have better communication with each other as they are wifi 6 and the range is better.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Ross, it's a WIFE extender.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Now that’s funny
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I've purchased the Weboost Drive Sleek and directional antenna from Wilson Electronics based on the recommendation from Jim Barnaby who seems to be knowledgeable on the subject of cellular boosters. I currently have zero experience on the subject and won't get my trailer until late April to even try it out. Jim claims that he's never been without cellular service, even in the most remote locations. For what it may be worth, I've linked his video here.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:08 AM   #34

Hey Mike, I did the same thing as you. I am going to chalk this up to a big experiment but if it pays off I can keep working from the road.

I publish a line of guitar theory books and am a full blown webmaster, so connectivity is a game changer for me. The faster, the better. I actually love the combination of nature and the thinking it exudes and the problem solving of lite web work.

So we should compare notes closer to pick up date or shortly after to see how things are going. Thanks for sharing that video!
Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
So we should compare notes closer to pick up date or shortly after to see how things are going. Thanks for sharing that video!
Sure. We're taking 2 weeks to get home after picking up the trailer. Most of that will be boondocking so I should get a chance to use the booster/antenna . I'll follow up here as to what my experience is like.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #36

BTW, here is his YouTube channel. He has more info there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvb...-3uYFpg/videos
Old 02-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #37

The outside antenna he is using is a directional which means you have to point it. I go to Alabama Hills and have used Wilson amplifiers for 15 years. Their newest 4G with OTR antenna is the latest and it works incredibly well without the hassle of aiming the antenna. The OTR is a game-changer for WeBoost.

These guys in the video are well meaning, yet they are lay people and you can't take for gospel what they are saying- especially that you will always have a signal. This is not a SAT Phone!! If you really want the best amp- this is it:

https://www.signalbooster.com/produc...439d227b&_ss=r

Ask for Randy
Old 02-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
These guys in the video are well meaning, yet they are lay people and you can't take for gospel what they are saying- especially that you will always have a signal. This is not a SAT Phone!! If you really want the best amp- this is it:

It seems like people don't read the entire thread.

I have all three antennas and the booster! The cost is chump change. If I can bill 6 hours I pay for everything in the entire package. After another hour, I can take my wife out for dinner on my clients. My favorite way!

Those guys are talking about giving yourself every chance to find a signal. I am all about that. I hope that second antenna I bought works, but if not, I might be able to do this. That streaming sounds fun and I don't even watch TV. That guy travels the same places I do. He lives in Denver, about 30 minutes away. Besides he uses a fast access point which seems to be superior for file transfer (FTP, a staple of mine).

Maybe in a few years this whole discussion goes away, but right now a little change can amount to thousands of dollars to me, just by hanging around and tapping keys!

I'm into it!
Old 02-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #39

I read it all; the half life of technology used to be 5 years; probably half that by now. I seriously doubt for 99% of the time a directional antenna- that Wilson model has been around a long time- is better than the new OTR antenna which is fairly new. But hey, what do I know after 20 years in the biz?
Old 02-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #40

BTW- buying from Signalbooster.com actually costs less than buying from WeBoost direct AND they will kit the purchase with exactly what you need for your particular installation. Have mentioned Randy before; he worked at Wilson in St. George, UT for years and is now in the oil patch in TX. Super knowledgeable and no B.S.