Cell phone booster - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Cell phone booster

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cell-booster.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	44129

I am installing a cell phone booster. I realize it will only boost a weak signal that is present, it will do nothing when no signal is available.

Do you guys use these?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, I use a weboost. You're correct, they can only boost what's available. But if you're enroute somewhere you pick up the signal sooner and hang on to it longer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Attachment 44129

I am installing a cell phone booster. I realize it will only boost a weak signal that is present, it will do nothing when no signal is available.

Do you guys use these?
Yes, and have the same model. Works awesome, especially with the optional OTR antenna.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #4

Okay so I talked to Escape and they will not run the antenna. I think it has to do with piercing the shell. All the antennas for this (all the different varieties) will need the same antenna wire routed to an outside position on the roof.

I think I have the same antenna as you. 12 foot wire with connector.

1. How did you do that?
2. Did you use adhesive on the antenna base?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
Those magnetic mount antennas work best with a "ground plane" a simple circle cut from galvanized duct work sheet metal, bonded to the roof with double side tape. Set your magnetic antenna on the plate.

I mounted ours just at the left rear corner of the AC unit, near the refrigerator vent.
Take the fridge vent cover off and rout the wire down, drill a hole into the upper rear cabinet and run the antenna wire inside the cabinet. Power may be available in that cabinet also.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Before you ask Escape to run the antenna wire, be sure it can be detached from the antenna end. Making a hole big enough to pass the antenna rather than a connector doesn't sound like a good idea...
Old 01-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
Those magnetic mount antennas work best with a "ground plane" a simple circle cut from galvanized duct work sheet metal, bonded to the roof with double side tape. Set your magnetic antenna on the plate.

I mounted ours just at the left rear corner of the AC unit, near the refrigerator vent.
Take the fridge vent cover off and rout the wire down, drill a hole into the upper rear cabinet and run the antenna wire inside the cabinet. Power may be available in that cabinet also.
Does this mean you use the existing vent to get the wire outside the shell?

Does this affect the AC unit? Can I ask Escape to do that?

Once out, does the wire run up the side of the camper? I get the cut metal idea. Clever!

That would mean just a simple mounting and routing exercise. I have the OTC antenna and the wire is hardwired into the antenna. So I have to drill a hole big enough for the wire and the connector to the booster.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Once you take the fridge vent cap off, 4 screws, you have the large chase to drop wires down. They will fall down to the "floor" of the side access area. You can then drill a hole in the corner of the floor and push the wire through into the cavity under the fridge. You can then go off in either direction.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0032_resize.JPG   IMGP0047_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #9

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Talking Cell booster??

WE thought about this w our last camper, and have not done anything about it yet.. Hmmm..may get a system but only use it w outside antenna.. WE camp to get away from irritating calls, but of course do realize there cab be emergencies.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #11

I am trying to hang on to my clients as long as possible. They pay for all sorts of things. I might even take one out camping.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I've carried cell phone boosters of some kind since buying my 17 in 2011, I'd suggest trying without one now. I still carry a booster, but have not used it on this trip (I have both AT&T & Verizon cell modems & phones).

I've found that the extra bars the booster gets me in places that have coverage does not change speed or reliability. It may be that the newer hardware does a better job with weak signals, or they are just doing a better job of covering the rural areas.

Cell coverage seems to have reached the point where you either have it without a booster, or can't get it even with one. No coverage at Cades Cove in The Great Smoky Mountain National Park or at Big Bend National Park in Texas, but the booster didn't help in either. In many areas where I needed the booster during past cross country trips had adequate coverage this year without it. I didn't find any location where adding the booster went from no coverage to usable coverage.

I'm not saying they are obsolete, but they could be an expensive addition that, with a permanent antenna installation that includes a major modification of the trailer, may not be necessary.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #13

Interesting perspective. Thanks for that.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We just completed a loop from Phoenix to Belton Tx to Ft Worth to Tulsa and return to Phoenix. I-10 to 190 going, 35 to I40 returning. We have Sprint and have not had very good coverage in rural TX and NM in the past. This trip we had excellent coverage with only about a 2 hr section of 190 in central TX not getting signal. We have a Verizon hotspot to fill in on the rural highway stretches, but didn’t need it this trip.
This is massive improvement in the last two years in coverage. I was looking at a booster, but after this trip not sure I’d put the expense out for it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I agree with John. I have a pretty expensive setup with the WeBoost 65.

This setup has a 21 foot telescoping pole with a high-gain antenna on top. A coax cable to a standard coax port through the shell leads to the amplifier then a repeater antenna inside. I was able to pick up a 1-bar, 1x signal from a tower over 15 miles away boosting it to 3 bars and 3G data.

So it works ... but as a practical matter, that was the only time I’ve needed it in over 10,000 miles of travel. Hardly a good return on a $700 investment.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I've carried cell phone boosters of some kind since buying my 17 in 2011, I'd suggest trying without one now. I still carry a booster, but have not used it on this trip (I have both AT&T & Verizon cell modems & phones).

I've found that the extra bars the booster gets me in places that have coverage does not change speed or reliability. It may be that the newer hardware does a better job with weak signals, or they are just doing a better job of covering the rural areas.

Cell coverage seems to have reached the point where you either have it without a booster, or can't get it even with one. No coverage at Cades Cove in The Great Smoky Mountain National Park or at Big Bend National Park in Texas, but the booster didn't help in either. In many areas where I needed the booster during past cross country trips had adequate coverage this year without it. I didn't find any location where adding the booster went from no coverage to usable coverage.

I'm not saying they are obsolete, but they could be an expensive addition that, with a permanent antenna installation that includes a major modification of the trailer, may not be necessary.
Thankyou Jon ! Good to know . Have not spent funds and now think won’t . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It depends on where you camp/glamp. If you stay at KOA's or BLM next to an Interstate like Quartzsite that's one thing.Try boondocking at Alabama Hills BLM and w/o a good booster/antenna combo: no go with cell internet or even simple text messaging(with VRZ). So many other places we have been recently where same exists. When you spend $30K for a trailer what's another $500? Shoot-skip the remote controlled Max Fan or LED string lights!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I don't have cell service, then I don't have cell service.

I think previous posts are saying that you probably don't need to spend on a booster because they are of limited use with improved cell service.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:05 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It depends on where you camp/glamp. If you stay at KOA's or BLM next to an Interstate like Quartzsite that's one thing.Try boondocking at Alabama Hills BLM and w/o a good booster/antenna combo: no go with cell internet or even simple text messaging(with VRZ). So many other places we have been recently where same exists. When you spend $30K for a trailer what's another $500? Shoot-skip the remote controlled Max Fan or LED string lights!
Ross another 500 is serious money for us today . Thank goodness we have the trailer as we need it now . We don’t have a remote for Max fan or led string lights either . Linda does have her license and radio’s . Hopefully we will be ok . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:53 AM   #20

So for me the issue is not on the highway. It seems that situation is improving all the time. I am thinking along the lines of when I get to camp, which is often times in mountainous areas with deep folds and limited signal strength (or none at all), this might help me get a signal there when otherwise I would have to drive somewhere else and upload web pages there.

That seems to be a different set of needs. As an example, we still cannot use cell phones at our house and we live on the edge of town. No big deal any more since I can patch the phone into my network. Otherwise I need one of these boosters for home! True!