Charcoal BBQ/Grill - does anyone have a favorite? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Apples and Oranges Myron. It's all works out the same. Since I already had the hose setup, I did not want the quick connect; money better spent elsewhere.The QC may work better with a lantern, or whatever.

titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My quick connect comes out after the 20 pound tank ETI regulator. I did this mod myself. My hose needs some way to mate with the grill regulator that normally connects to the Coleman bottles. So you're saying this is not possible?
That's a nice job, but if it's coming out after the regulator, you still have a low pressure connection. And I don't believe they make a quick-connect, low pressure adapter that would hook to the regulator on your stove, two different systems.

2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
My quick connect comes out after the 20 pound tank ETI regulator.
... where it needs to be, because this style of connector is used for propane regulated to a low pressure.

Quote:
My hose needs some way to mate with the grill regulator that normally connects to the Coleman bottles. So you're saying this is not possible?
Right - because the grill's regulator is to be connected to propane at the high pressure found in (any size of) cylinder/tank.

The connection to the low-pressure supply hose is not possible unless you get rid of that regulator on the grill (which takes high-pressure propane) and connect to the other side of it (where the propane is expected to be at low pressure).

This is exactly the high-pressure stove issue which has been discussed a number of times in this forum. There is no way to just assemble bits of connector hardware to fix it - you need to not go through the grill's regulator if you want to use your low-pressure supply.

The obvious fix is to put a tee at a propane tank to provide a screw-on high-pressure propane connection (just like the top of a one-pound disposable propane cylinder, and the mate to what's on the grill). It's not quick-connect, but it's still fast and easy to connect, with no tools required. Unfortunately, you are then only connected to one tank, so you always use that tank regardless of which one is full (unless you put tees on both tanks). I'm sure all RV places sell these tees, and the hoses (with the male and female of the same style of connector on each end) are readily available in various lengths.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Right, I get it. Guess I should have layed out the extra hundred++ bucks for a Weber.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Weber also requires high-pressure.
If you got a Dickinson, you can get a low pressure adapter for it ( $$ ).
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/bbqs.php
Cheaper at Steveston Marine
http://www.stevestonmarine.com/index...arch=Dickinson
Attached Images
File Type: png Low pressure reg.png (29.4 KB, 133 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks for all the great input. Kevin has used a Weber at home for the last 25 years or so and why mess with a routine that works right? Sounds like the Smokey Joe or Go Anywhere will be perfect for us. Thanks again
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Only issue might be fire bans. Locally here you could use a propane grill, but not charcoal. Then they raised the level and banned both. Would depend where you are and local conditions, but you might have to go without supper from time to time.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
One other grill to consider is the Volcano Grill. It can use either propane (high pressure) or charcoal. In addition, you can fit a 12 inch dutch oven in the grill, and they sell a fireproof cloth cover that turns it into a pretty good oven. The grill collapses into a reasonably small package.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
That's what happens with this forum. As soon as I think I've made a decision, someone raises another point or provides another option. The Volcano solves the potential fire ban issue and looks like a super multi function option. Question... If I get the quick connect option, will it work with the trailer propane? I still might stick with the tried & true Weber, but would like to explore this option.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
The Volcano solves the potential fire ban issue and looks like a super multi function option. Question... If I get the quick connect option, will it work with the trailer propane?
It doesn't look like it. The regulator provided with the propane Volcano grills is painted red, indicating that it puts out (and the grill burner needs) propane at much higher pressure than the low-pressure supply from the Escape quick-connect supply.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote