Charcoal BBQ/Grill - does anyone have a favorite? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yeah, but as I remember you make bonfires that can be seen from space
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It doesn't look like it. The regulator provided with the propane Volcano grills is painted red, indicating that it puts out (and the grill burner needs) propane at much higher pressure than the low-pressure supply from the Escape quick-connect supply.
I'm wondering if the quick connect can power a propane fire, why not a bbq like a volcano? Is that what the red means? I might try it anyway as I've had my volcano a few years and want to try it out perhaps, as we've just ordered a 5.0 TA due for completion on feb 1. I don't really want to give up my volcano. I have only used the propane adapter when I knew there was going to be a fire ban, but hooked it directly to a tank. I have always use charcoal or wood in it as I that is my preferred bbq method.
It can even function as a firepit if you wanted to.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I'm wondering if the quick connect can power a propane fire, why not a bbq like a volcano? Is that what the red means?
A pretty large burner can run on the very low pressure (11"WC, 0.4 PSI, or 3 kPa) if all components are large enough, including the passages through the valves and orifices. Once the designer of an appliance - such as the Volcano - has decided to operate on a higher pressure, they size everything for that pressure and it's unlikely to work on a much lower pressure. They could have built the Volcano for low pressure, but since they didn't (size openings for low pressure) you can't (run it on low pressure).

The red colour of the regulator indicates a higher pressure than 11 "WC - as a warning to not use it in place of the correct regulator for a low-pressure appliance - but not a specific pressure. I've seen red regulators at as low as 2 PSI (14 kPa) and as high as 60 PSI (414 kPa).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I'm wondering if the quick connect can power a propane fire, why not a bbq like a volcano?
Brian is exactly correct. The red regulator drops the tank pressure to 10 psi (this is high pressure in the propane world) and the Volcano Grill orifice tube and burner are designed for gas at this pressure. The trailer's quick connect outputs gas at 0.4 psi (low pressure). If you hook this up to your Volcano, you can light the grill but will get only enough flame for an extremely low simmer. My solution so far has been to carry an extra propane bottle in the back of the truck to use with our Volcano grill. There's no inherent reason why the Volcano can't work on low pressure gas; it's just that the orifice and burner have to be designed for that purpose. Volcano have told me that they are working on a low pressure burner system for the grill. We'll see, but I for one will jump on it if they do offer a backward compatible set-up for low pressure.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Wow thanks very informative. Makes much sense. I'll be looking for that low pressure model as well. I love the compact portable nature of the volcano.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
bdornbush,
How did you guys do with the horrific fires? I sure hope you are all safe AND without damage!

Tom
Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #47

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You southerners are soft.

Good one Jim (B), since Jim (cpa) lives in Pennsylvania! I think both of you are northerners.
What do you call those of us who live in the southern US? Southies maybe?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
bdornbush,
How did you guys do with the horrific fires? I sure hope you are all safe AND without damage!

Tom
Thanks for asking. We were a county north at a church mission trip and camping there in our Escape 19 when the fires started. There were 14 fires at one point. We came home a few days after they started. Our house was still in the mandatory evacuation area but we learned that the fire stopped about a quarter mile from our house. We camped in the trailer at our church for a few days and moved to the house when the mandatory evacuation changed to advisory. We first got electric and then yesterday, got natural gas, so we are fully back in the house. So many stories of people we know who lost their houses or were one house away from the fire, or one house too close to the fire. It will be years for recovery. Our church mission trips will be right here for a while.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Thanks for asking. We were a county north at a church mission trip and camping there in our Escape 19 when the fires started. There were 14 fires at one point. We came home a few days after they started. Our house was still in the mandatory evacuation area but we learned that the fire stopped about a quarter mile from our house. We camped in the trailer at our church for a few days and moved to the house when the mandatory evacuation changed to advisory. We first got electric and then yesterday, got natural gas, so we are fully back in the house. So many stories of people we know who lost their houses or were one house away from the fire, or one house too close to the fire. It will be years for recovery. Our church mission trips will be right here for a while.
Just saw this Bill . Glad you and yours are safe and that you had your Escape trailer . Very scarey and sad . Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Good one Jim (B), since Jim (cpa) lives in Pennsylvania! I think both of you are northerners.
What do you call those of us who live in the southern US? Southies maybe?
As far as Texas, "foreigners"! Texas is a whole other country! (They even say so in their tourist literature.)
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Baby Weber. I have the outside quick connect so had to do simple modification (remove regulator from Weber). Works great. Somehow grilling when camping is so much better?
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote