Charcoal BBQ/Grill - does anyone have a favorite? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Apples and Oranges Myron. It's all works out the same. Since I already had the hose setup, I did not want the quick connect; money better spent elsewhere.The QC may work better with a lantern, or whatever.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My quick connect comes out after the 20 pound tank ETI regulator. I did this mod myself. My hose needs some way to mate with the grill regulator that normally connects to the Coleman bottles. So you're saying this is not possible?
That's a nice job, but if it's coming out after the regulator, you still have a low pressure connection. And I don't believe they make a quick-connect, low pressure adapter that would hook to the regulator on your stove, two different systems.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
My quick connect comes out after the 20 pound tank ETI regulator.
... where it needs to be, because this style of connector is used for propane regulated to a low pressure.

Quote:
My hose needs some way to mate with the grill regulator that normally connects to the Coleman bottles. So you're saying this is not possible?
Right - because the grill's regulator is to be connected to propane at the high pressure found in (any size of) cylinder/tank.

The connection to the low-pressure supply hose is not possible unless you get rid of that regulator on the grill (which takes high-pressure propane) and connect to the other side of it (where the propane is expected to be at low pressure).

This is exactly the high-pressure stove issue which has been discussed a number of times in this forum. There is no way to just assemble bits of connector hardware to fix it - you need to not go through the grill's regulator if you want to use your low-pressure supply.

The obvious fix is to put a tee at a propane tank to provide a screw-on high-pressure propane connection (just like the top of a one-pound disposable propane cylinder, and the mate to what's on the grill). It's not quick-connect, but it's still fast and easy to connect, with no tools required. Unfortunately, you are then only connected to one tank, so you always use that tank regardless of which one is full (unless you put tees on both tanks). I'm sure all RV places sell these tees, and the hoses (with the male and female of the same style of connector on each end) are readily available in various lengths.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Right, I get it. Guess I should have layed out the extra hundred++ bucks for a Weber.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Weber also requires high-pressure.
If you got a Dickinson, you can get a low pressure adapter for it ( $$ ).
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/bbqs.php
Cheaper at Steveston Marine
http://www.stevestonmarine.com/index...arch=Dickinson
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks for all the great input. Kevin has used a Weber at home for the last 25 years or so and why mess with a routine that works right? Sounds like the Smokey Joe or Go Anywhere will be perfect for us. Thanks again
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #27

Only issue might be fire bans. Locally here you could use a propane grill, but not charcoal. Then they raised the level and banned both. Would depend where you are and local conditions, but you might have to go without supper from time to time.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One other grill to consider is the Volcano Grill. It can use either propane (high pressure) or charcoal. In addition, you can fit a 12 inch dutch oven in the grill, and they sell a fireproof cloth cover that turns it into a pretty good oven. The grill collapses into a reasonably small package.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #29

That's what happens with this forum. As soon as I think I've made a decision, someone raises another point or provides another option. The Volcano solves the potential fire ban issue and looks like a super multi function option. Question... If I get the quick connect option, will it work with the trailer propane? I still might stick with the tried & true Weber, but would like to explore this option.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
The Volcano solves the potential fire ban issue and looks like a super multi function option. Question... If I get the quick connect option, will it work with the trailer propane?
It doesn't look like it. The regulator provided with the propane Volcano grills is painted red, indicating that it puts out (and the grill burner needs) propane at much higher pressure than the low-pressure supply from the Escape quick-connect supply.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #31

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I went to a Camp Chef system. It is a bit heavier, propane, but very versatile with the various components. I can use it with a dutch oven, it has a griddle which I am learning to appreciate more and more, and I picked up a grill box solving my bbq needs. I've found that I am now using it in the back yard, at larger gatherings in a park, etc. as well as camping. Stir fry, fajitas, omelettes, grilled steaks, shrimp, etc. all good! Each burner kicks out 30,000 BTU, should be able to take my old coleman stove and melt it down for recycling.....
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It doesn't look like it. The regulator provided with the propane Volcano grills is painted red, indicating that it puts out (and the grill burner needs) propane at much higher pressure than the low-pressure supply from the Escape quick-connect supply.
Thanks Brian. I will probably stick with the Weber then. I know Kevin will prefer a salad or leftover night to grilling on gas . Of course I can always do something stovetop too.

Speaking of stoves, I heard elsewhere and will probably get the Camp Chef Ranger for an outside stove. Although I'm not sure I understand yet why we need a stove outside too?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thanks Brian. I will probably stick with the Weber then. I know Kevin will prefer a salad or leftover night to grilling on gas . Of course I can always do something stovetop too.

Speaking of stoves, I heard elsewhere and will probably get the Camp Chef Ranger for an outside stove. Although I'm not sure I understand yet why we need a stove outside too?
I can hear the gasps, the disbelief, at that last question. That is some people's camping life --- cooking outside. Without that, they have --- not much! . That is basically what they think of as camping. Again, it is your choice and what you are doing with your trailer. You may sightsee so much as many do, so that you sit around the campsite but little. You may or may not ever cook outside on a camp stove or grill or have a fire and roast food over it. If you are a newbie to camping, then maybe there is no telling yet whether you need such items.

If you have children, then you may not care about a fire and roasting marshmallows, but the children will so that is likely what you will be doing. A stove is something else. Some do almost all of their cooking outside while others do most or all inside.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jill, Cooking outside is just a personal choice, inside, outside, whatever works for you. We cook outside unless the weather or bugs chase us inside. Like to think it keeps the moisture out of the trailer, and we just plain prefer it, at least in non parking lot like campgrounds.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #35

I use a propane grill and two butane one-burner stoves outside on the picnic table. That's where most of the cooking and washing up is done. Could be keeping bacon and English muffins warm on the grill and pan-frying potatoes and making eggs over easy on the stoves.
I have a stainless steel food serving pan that I use as I sink. Fill it with water and put it on a butane burner to heat the water ( I have a 5-gal. water container at the table for dishes ).
Attached Thumbnails
Butane stove.jpg   W pork back ribs.jpg  
Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I can hear the gasps, the disbelief, at that last statement. That is some people's camping life --- cooking outside. Without that, they have --- not much! .
That was Kevin's reaction too - Of course we still want to cook outside if we can, even though we have the option to do so inside as well. I'm beginning to learn that camping with a trailer is all about cooking and eating (and drinking!) almost as much as it is about enjoying being close to nature.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #37

We pretty much use our 3-burner stove inside to heat a pot of water for coffee in the morning. Sometimes it's used to heat canned corn or beans if the weather is inclement.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find that cooking outside is done mainly in the warmer, drier months and inside during the colder or rainy times. It is nice to have the option.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We always cook inside except for using the Weber Q grill (on a quick connect). I am fine with cooking inside and try to not carry any more weight and gadgets than needed. With the Escape, the stove hood fan does well for us to move moisture and smoke outside. We only set off the smoke detector once when we forgot to turn on the stove hood fan. Some use the Maxxfan instead but we find the stove hood fan much more convenient than we thought it would be.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find that cooking outside is done mainly in the warmer, drier months and inside during the colder or rainy times. It is nice to have the option.
You southerners are soft.

We cook outside from Easter to Thanksgiving (our trailer camping season), though wind and driving rain, the stuff that comes under the awning sideways, will see us cook inside. I don't mind when the temps are down near freezing at all, just don't like getting wet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote