Chase-ing a dream - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Chase-ing a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't think I would ever live on Vancouver Island, BUT I just love visiting there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post
Ha ha ha! I am 3rd generation Victoria, Glenn is 5th generation SaltSpring Island. I don't think we could ever live on "The Mainland" BUT we just love visiting there!
Well - we are eating our words...

We missed the Escape rally because on our round-about way there we stopped in the beautiful little hamlet of Chase, BC and fell under it's spell. Short story is that we have bought a home there and are packing up our Island home & attitudes and heading for The Mainland.

I never thought I'd leave Victoria, but the life in Chase is beckoning. Glenn has relatives there, not to mention all the motorcycling, fishing and awesome trailer-ing opportunities available (without the $$$ getting off & on the ferries)
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Wow! Congratulations to you. What a marvelous opportunity and so happy that you were able to "chase" your dreams ... and catch them.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Congrats!!

Be carefull and HAVE FUN! with motorcycling, camping, etc. etc!

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Liz and I have dreamt about moving out of the LowerMainland (I'd love to move to a cabin by the Red Deer River in Alberta, but Liz says I'd be doing that alone). Our reality is that our children and grandchildren live within minutes of our present location. So we are "stuck" in the city for the rest of our lives. Which is why we anxiously await the birth of our Escape so we can at least get out of town on a part-time basis.

For folk moving to small town BC and aging, what does proximity to health care/hospitals look like? In big centers we read about small hospital closures, etc.....

Enjoy Chase... Liz and I look forward to exploring small town BC
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

We missed the Escape rally because on our round-about way there we stopped in the beautiful little hamlet of Chase, BC and fell under it's spell. Short story is that we have bought a home there and are packing up our Island home & attitudes and heading for The Mainland.

I never thought I'd leave Victoria, but the life in Chase is beckoning. Glenn has relatives there, not to mention all the motorcycling, fishing and awesome trailer-ing opportunities available (without the $$$ getting off & on the ferries)
Hi: Glenrose... Never say never..as it's a long long time!!! I said our 5.0 Escape Hatch was our last trailer too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
And I say the new to us "Escape Hatch" will be our last despite the fact one forum member has already said he could see a 5.0 TA in my future!

Perhaps the best bet is to not actually see one and in that regard it was good it was a torrential dounpour as we passed not far from Alf's home yesterday afternoon or we may have been tempted to stop and see Escape Hatch II

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
A beautiful area of the province! Good for you folks.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005-17B, 2013 - 5.0, Cabin, 2018-21'
We moved from Victoria to Kamloops last fall and although we do miss the beauty of Victoria we are enjoying all that this area has to offer. We made a visit back to Vic just before the rally and while sitting on the ferry we were reminded of the car alarms going off and all of the other annoying things that go with it. Perhaps we will see you around the interior, happy moving!
islandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
What are house prices like up that way? Compared to vic or van say?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Very nice, that is a beautiful area. I know hordes of people near there, most on the North Arm of the Shuswap in Lee Creek, which is near Scotch Creek. It is a thought in the back of our minds as a possibility for living upon our retirement. Who knows.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Thanks for all your kind words. We are really looking forward to the much quieter pace

As far as house prices: We found that prices in Chase were about half that of similar properties in Victoria, although further up The Island prices tend to be lower as well. We had been casually looking in Qualicum Beach and the Comox Valley where prices are similarly lower to some extent.

There are some developments going on around the lower Island - Sooke, Langford etc where they are trying to keep house prices down. (High density) Part of what that means to those of us who have lived here all our lives is that traffic congestion is getting worse and worse. What we used to call "ferry traffic" once every two hours, or "rush hour", we now experience as non-stop traffic trying to get out of Victoria in any direction at any time...

Still a nice place to visit though!
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We have considered Comox, Qualicum and Langford as a retirement home, but my daughter said if we moved to the Island she wasn't coming over to visit. And, for us to leave the Island with a trailer would be costly.
So, we are just staying put, and I don't have to clean out the attic.
Hospital is 15 minutes away. Bus stop is a five minute walk. And, I know everything that is wrong and needs to be fixed in this 70-year-old house.
Put in a new furnace ( $3,500 ). Had the electrical fixed this past week ( $1,500 ) to satisfy the insurance company, and it's still much less than it would cost to move.
Inertia isn't all that bad at this age.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
We have considered Comox, Qualicum and Langford as a retirement home, but my daughter said if we moved to the Island she wasn't coming over to visit. And, for us to leave the Island with a trailer would be costly.
So, we are just staying put.
Bedroom and, more importantly, bathroom downstairs? The Occupational Therapist asks.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That too.
All the townhouses these days have a flight of stairs up to the living area an another set of stairs up to the bedroom. Small footprint.