Choosing the correct Escape - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I don't think anyone is looking down on or criticizing anyones choice of trailer or brand of trailer for that matter. Actually the first trailer we got interested in was a 13' Scamp and the reason for getting interested in fiberglass trailers was the fact that they are less prone to leak and as we will be going over some rougher roads, I feel that it will stand up to wear and tear better. As Reace said, buying a travel trailer is not a spur of the moment decision and I am sure most of us have done their research for quite some time. I think we have been looking for 3 years and have one more to wait. So everyone chose what is going to work the best for them and their situation and no one is knocking anyone. If a 13 ft. stick built is right for you, that is the correct choice. In the 4330 mile trip we took we saw 1 Scamp, 1 Casita, 1 Escape, and more stick builts than we could count. And so many of the trailers were those huge ,tall, fifth wheelers that I assume you take to one location and park for a while. Anyway, Cathy immediately fell in love with the 21 though I would rather pull something smaller so it was compromise. I also thought that I wouldn't like the bed in front but I did. The main difference is things look so different seeing, comparing, and being inside the trailers rather than just looking at pictures. We knew it was an Escape, it was just which one. And Tammy stepped aside and let us hash it out. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm just glad there's still a lid for every pot. Or is it pot for every lid?
In Washington State I heard there's a lid of pot for those that want!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Pot? This thread has now officially gone off the cliff...
Old 09-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
With regards to the trailer size, I also have never considered bigger as better. I was very impressed with the 15B and could see that as an option for me if I was ever a single traveller. We picked a 19' because it seemed to best fit our needs at this current time. When the 21' came out, I was actually really surprised to see how much demand there was for it. I personally don't see the 21' as ever being an option for me, however, like Jim B, the 5.0TA could someday have a spot in my future.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I always thought upsizing was a better term than upgrading.
Absolutely!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #46

what if you're going from a large sticky to an Escape?
Old 09-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
what if you're going from a large sticky to an Escape?
I think that would be downsizing and upgrading at the same time, reinforcing the point that bigger is not necessarily better.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #48

I think your right!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We are moving from a 17 to a 21. That decision was largely driven by a cold, wet spring and some minor medical issues that combined to keep the two of us in the trailer more than we have ever been. We decided the 17 bed was too small for us to lounge around reading books and listening to the radio. With the 21 we get a bigger bed, and a bigger dinette.

But there are some downsides too, largely around giving up our beloved sienna for a highlander. For a bicyclist, the sienna ( or a similar van) is about the ideal vehicle. Easy to carry 2 or 3 bikes or a tandem. And I am sure the gas mileage will be worse with the 21. And we had to buy tow mirrors.

Really, I am a bit envious of those who fit comfortably in a 15 or a 17. If I were single, or a bit younger, I would be happy as the proverbial clam in our 17. So I can't imagine looking askance at some one with a smaller escape.

Actually, I admire anyone who is getting out: hiking, running, paddling, cycling, horse back riding, camping in anything from a bivy sack to a class a motor home, it's all good.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The main reason we would upsize is simply to have the change. Climbing over in bed would be gone but so would part of the bed. Don't suppose any 21' has the bed at the back either.

Has anyone same-graded? Another 17' after a 17'? Another 19' after a 19'?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
The main reason we would upsize is simply to have the change. Climbing over in bed would be gone but so would part of the bed. Don't suppose any 21' has the bed at the back either.

Has anyone same-graded? Another 17' after a 17'? Another 19' after a 19'?
Considering that the oldest Escapes on the road are barely a decade old, I can't see why anyone would have traded it in for one of the same size. These things last.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #52

I can see trading between the two floor plans of the 17' (or of the 15'), if someone changed their mind about wanting a bathroom in the trailer.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #53

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I bought a 17b because I am single and for me and my dog it seemed big enough. I am looking to travel simply just hitch up and go - when ever I get the chance. Some day when I am retired I may want to travel more and want a bigger trailer or maybe the 17 will be perfect. But with the strong re sale value I can trade it in for a bigger trailer if I want. I looked at other trailers too but kept coming back to the Escape what ever size I ultimately end up with it will be an Escape.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #54

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Trading for the same size, you get all of the upgrades ETI has added over several years and all of the options and custom work you want that you did not get the first time. People new to trailering might not have known what they would use or want. All new parts and appliances, of course, as well, would be nice. Also in the event of a total loss, insurance would cover replacement with a new trailer of the year of loss, not just value of the old one.

Of course, most people want bigger for the bigger family or needed more space in the first one.

We never know if we might walk into a 21' and just have to have it. Or would get one as DD says because we can.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #55
Site Team

"Because we can."

Sounds like a perfectly acceptable reason to me.