Cleaning Fresh Water Tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Cleaning Fresh Water Tank

I don't mean to start something up again . I can't find how to start a new thread . It is concerning fresh water tank . After the other day because it is very hot here need to empty my fresh water tank and clean it out . We have the foam underneath . Trying this morning to open water value on tank . It is very hard to move and in a awful place to get to. The values are not too sturdy and will break easy . Have had that happen before on other RV's . Is there some solution to move this value out a little so I can get at it easier to turn on or off ? Also easier to change out if and when it breaks ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I don't mean to start something up again . I can't find how to start a new thread . It is concerning fresh water tank . After the other day because it is very hot here need to empty my fresh water tank and clean it out . We have the foam underneath . Trying this morning to open water value on tank . It is very hard to move and in a awful place to get to. The values are not too sturdy and will break easy . Have had that happen before on other RV's . Is there some solution to move this value out a little so I can get at it easier to turn on or off ? Also easier to change out if and when it breaks ? Pat
Just saw sanitizing your fresh water tanks . Pat
Old 06-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... After the other day because it is very hot here need to empty my fresh water tank and clean it out . We have the foam underneath . Trying this morning to open water value on tank . It is very hard to move and in a awful place to get to. The values are not too sturdy and will break easy .
Is there some solution to move this value out a little so I can get at it easier to turn on or off ? Also easier to change out if and when it breaks ? Pat
If the valve is screwed into a threaded fitting on the tank, then it can be removed and replaced by a hose fitting (pipe thread to hose barb); then a short hose (reinforced vinyl would be appropriate) can run to a separately mounted valve. You can use a better valve, and locate it in a more convenient place, but you would need to build and attach a mounting bracket, and the run from tank to valve needs to slope consistently downhill to drain the tank properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the valve is screwed into a threaded fitting on the tank, then it can be removed and replaced by a hose fitting (pipe thread to hose barb); then a short hose (reinforced vinyl would be appropriate) can run to a separately mounted valve. You can use a better valve, and locate it in a more convenient place, but you would need to build and attach a mounting bracket, and the run from tank to valve needs to slope consistently downhill to drain the tank properly.
Thankyou for responding Brian you are like me and like to help others . It looks like it is screwed on tank . Looks like you could get a wrench on there to remove it . Would I just get the nylon pipe piece ? Is it best to keep the nylon to nylon and not mix metal because if I am not careful can cross thread ? On my camper they had the barb attached to tubing very easy to change out which needed to be done in 12 years . But the water tank was much higher up on camper so I understand to have it run down hill . Also I am on I-pad . Where can I start new thread ? Pat
Old 06-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The question is, is the valve screwed in? Might be worth a call or email to find out.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
It looks like it is screwed on tank . Looks like you could get a wrench on there to remove it . Would I just get the nylon pipe piece ? Is it best to keep the nylon to nylon and not mix metal because if I am not careful can cross thread ?
I agree - I would stay with poly (nylon or otherwise) fittings, although you certainly can use brass.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote