Clothes Storage Tips - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Clothes Storage Tips

We are looking at where and how to store clothing? we have been looking at eagle creek mesh bags. We have to think about clothing for 2 adults and 2 kids.
Anyone have some ideas on containers/storage systems that would work for 19'.
Thanks!
Cindy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Re: Clothes Storage Tips

Before we had our 19, we thought we would ultimately buy some bins or containers to keep order in the cabinets. Found out it isn't necessary. We are just placing our clothing in the cabinets in piles (underwear, pants, shirts...), and it has worked great without getting disturbed during travel. If you are thinking about the need to separate Child A's stuff from Child B's stuff to avoid confusion of ownership, that might a different story. Still, I think there's enough storage that clothes for a family of 4 will fit well, and can be arranged for easily finding each person's items. --Liz
Old 05-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

Liz, it is great to know there is enough space in those O/H cabinets. Do you know the dimensions of those cabinets? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Cindy, if you were to use the overheads above the bed, you will definitely be able to pack clothes for the 4 of you in there, with some stuff hung in the closet, and still have some space left over. Each bin will hold a full duffel bag worth of clothes to give you an idea of size. With just the two of us, we each get a bin on either side, and it more than holds enough for us, leaving the bins along the back for towels, and other trailer supplies. Our two front bins are usually only about half full.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #5

Thanks Jim! It is helpful to know the space is sufficient and doesn't require a bunch of organizers.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #6

Cindy, I measured the cabinets at the queen bed end, since that's where we store our clothes. If you want other cabinet measurements, let me know. We have the insulation package, which is also inside the cabinets, BTW.

The three cabinet door openings above the queen bed are all the same size-- 6 3/4" high by 23 1/2" wide. I'm giving you this measurement in case you have bins or boxes that need to go through those openings. (We don't.) The door hinges are great -- they hold the doors up so you will not be fighting gravity at all when you access your storage.

The left and right side cabinets are each 12" deep inside by about 49 3/8" long by 9 3/8" high.

The back cabinet is also 12" deep, by about 48 3/4" long by 11" high.

The inside of the cabinets curve to match the curvature of the Escape roof, so the depth and height measurements change with the curvature.

--Liz
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Liz, they must have changed the doors, because I have two smaller doors on the back above the bed, it sounds like yours is one big one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Liz, they must have changed the doors, because I have two smaller doors on the back above the bed, it sounds like yours is one big one.
Yes, we have just one door on the back end cabinet. Your post made me curious so I looked at the pictures of the 19 on the Escape website, and your version of the doors is shown there. My blog shows pics of the single-door version we have. --Liz
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Hi, Cindy!
We have a bunch of those smaller Eagle Creek mesh bags with odds and ends in the upper cabinets. We had seen that some people put clothing in bins under the bed and we have done that. We bought some inexpensive bins at Walmart. You could do that if you need more clothing space. Our towels are in the middle overhead.

We have smaller bins at the dinette end above and below. The bench end door is a must-have option as far as I am concerned. We can access tools, tape or other items inside the bench door from outside while in the doorway. We have a partition inside that bench that prevents bins from moving forward in transit.

We even bought a tiny bin today for the front box to hold gloves, hitch grease, hitch ball cover and other small items as they tend to get scattered around in the box.

It is definitely fun to get set up.
Attached Thumbnails
P1050433.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #10

When we were awaiting our 19, I wished for more detailed photos of its storage than were available on the Escape website, especially since we hadn't seen a 19 in person. So I have just finished adding a bunch of pictures of the 19's storage on my blog. Call me obsessive. Maybe the pictures will be helpful to somebody out there.

--Liz Kibitka.blogspot.com
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #11

Liz, Thanks for taking the measurements! I looked at your pix too! very thorough and helpful. I did not realize the new version comes with two overhead doors vs the single door. I wonder why they changed that?
We do like the idea of that door opening below the dinette bench.

Cindy
Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy L
Liz, Thanks for taking the measurements! I looked at your pix too! very thorough and helpful. I did not realize the new version comes with two overhead doors vs the single door. I wonder why they changed that?
We do like the idea of that door opening below the dinette bench.
The old version came with two doors into the storage at the very back. The new version (our version) comes with one door there. I forgot to photograph it for the storage photos, but it shows in "Escape 19 Interior Photos, Part 3" and "Escape Interior Photos, Part 4" on my blog. --Liz
Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Liz, great pictures on your blog http://www.kibitka.blogspot.com/. Thanks for sharing.

BTW: that "Shallow cabinet under the refrigerator" is often called... the wine cellar
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
BTW: that "Shallow cabinet under the refrigerator" is often called... the wine cellar
Good one, Donna D. And now for the burning question uppermost in the minds of Escape Forum readers--is that picture really you? I will be so disappointed if it's not! --Liz
Old 06-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Site Team

ooooh you're going to be disappointed. That's my avatar and I've used it for about 10 years now on the molded forums.

I have been thinking about buying a Carmen Miranda fruity hat and white winged glasses to wear to gatherings. That might slow down the comments of "you don't look anything like your picture."
Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

I was afraid I had insulted you way back when I made a comment to the effect that it was not a real photo (and then thought maybe it was). All you need is a similar one taken by yourself to use (if making the big bucks.)
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
ooooh you're going to be disappointed. That's my avatar and I've used it for about 10 years now on the molded forums.

I have been thinking about buying a Carmen Miranda fruity hat and white winged glasses to wear to gatherings. That might slow down the comments of "you don't look anything like your picture."
Donna, regardless, I just have to say that your avatar makes us smile every time we see it! Love it!

--Liz
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
Site Team

Oh, I'm not offended... how can I possibly be. I picked out the goofy avatar! It's my way of being incognito