Cold weather camping - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 19'
That idea sounds good, and I think others have commented they do similar. Still makes me wonder about the fresh water drain valve. It is similarly exposed, but I am in the camp of not wanting to add RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The fresh water drain is not exposed, the foam is cut out to allow the valve to operate, that is all you see of the drain. I always drain all the sewerage at my last cg and the fresh tank before the first freeze. I then winterize all the drain lines with antifreeze all my black tank liquids will then be flushed with antifreeze. All the lines up to the valves are foam protected so with antifreeze in the tank there should not be any issues.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
So I suppose someone could use spray foam around the valve and that would work for a while into colder weather but, of course, you could spray the whole fresh tank, couldn't you? I would wonder why anyone could not do that and extend their season?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #44

Exactly why I choose ETI to add that option to my trailers.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I mean without someone spraying the entire trailer underneath which I cannot imagine most people doing themselves, only spraying the fresh water tank (yourself) would extend your season.

The rest of it is to keep the rest of the trailer, floor and all, warmer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #46

Actually one can carry water for drinking consumption and just flush with antifreeze and forget about the fresh tank.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:14 AM   #47

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
That is what I was thinking semi winterizing the trailer so I can still camp during the less cold days of the winter.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
...Re-read ice-breaker's post and further wondered if it was merely the pull handle that froze. I don't know where the actual openings in the bottom of the black/grey tanks are located - close to the pull handle or covered by spray foam?
The problem manifested itself when we were unable to move the pull handle on the black tank (the grey tank valve was still unfrozen). I actually pulled hard enough on the black tank pull handle to break off one of the two pull tabs on the handle, so it was frozen pretty good. However, I have no way of knowing whether the frozen zone extended back from the valve or not, and if so, how far.

In hindsight, I could probably have been better prepared for this by having a hair dryer along or even bringing RV antifreeze to add to the grey and black tanks. However, this was the "pick-up" trip for our 19' and we were a little new to using a camper, especially in cold weather. I know the folks at Escape were trying to be helpful by handing over the trailer to us with the water tank having water in it, especially since April does not bring a lot of danger of freezing weather in Chilliwack; however, if I was picking up another trailer in winter I would ask that they winterize (drain the tanks and waterlines, and add antifreeze to the grey and black tanks) the trailer before I pick it up, so that there would be no freezing risks on the trip home.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Anyone know of an online source enabling us to locate dump stations open in the winter?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Anyone know of an online source enabling us to locate dump stations open in the winter?
Many of the campground apps for your phone list these. I imagine Apple has the same ones.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=rv%20dump
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Don't know of any that differentiate between open in summer vs winter, but you could try this one: RV Dump Stations or this one: http://www.sanidumps.com/maps/help.php or even this one: http://www.rvdumps.com/

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #52

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We are picking up our 21 in mid November and I asked to have it winterized when we pick it up. hopefully can avoid using any of the plumbing on the way home but we will bring some antifreeze with us just in case. I like Jims system of flushing with antifreeze if needed and not using the fresh water part of the system at all. I suspect if there was a strong mixture of antifreeze in the waste tanks at moderate temps nothing should freeze.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Allstays lists dump stations (along with low overpasses, some truck stops, and a bunch of other things). But I don't think it has open dates. On the other hand, I found a dump station at a Holiday gas station on the north side of town, and they were open for dumping when there was several inches of snow on the ground. If the path to the dump is clear, would there be any reason to close it?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Download Sanidumps.com app from iTunes. ( Free )
It lists dumps near your phone, or you can search. Gives you the address and details such as how to approach the dump.
According to the app, the only free site near you is Pete's RV Center in Southington, CT.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Don't know of any that differentiate between open in summer vs winter, but you could try this one: RV Dump Stations or this one: Sanidumps: Regional RV Dump Station Map or even this one: RV Dump Stations | Locate RV Dump Stations in America
Thanks for the suggestions. RV dumps defalts to sanidumps. The third one has limited data. I will use sanidumps unless I can find another site that allows me to search on months of operation.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
... I found a dump station at a Holiday gas station on the north side of town, and they were open for dumping when there was several inches of snow on the ground. If the path to the dump is clear, would there be any reason to close it?
Yes - in freezing temperatures it is difficult to maintain a supply of water for users to flush their hoses, or for staff to flush the dump area... and any flushing of the area around the dump port would potentially make a skating rink.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #57

This post suggest concern using the fridge below 20F as the refrigerant becomes viscous and clogs up the compressor.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Winter RV camping

Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #58

They refer to using a gas refer and partially blocking the outside air intake. I use mine on 120v and do not block the outside. Dometic does make a cold air kit which blocks the lower vent with a cover on the outside but does not sell it in the US?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So picking the trailer up in a few days, and going camping all week at FUP campgrounds.

Long range forecast for Hope BC has steadily gotten colder (overnight -7C/20F? with days heating up to 13C/50F expected) since I started planning this. The place I am booked into has closed their bathrooms for the season.

OK to use all tanks? Put a good shot of anti freeze down gray/black to coat the valves before first use? No foam underneath, but extra insulation and electric space heater.

edit: Doug seems ok with this range. Whew.:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8....html#post8016
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #60

You may have some issues with your fresh tank at 20 degrees, keeping the trailer at 60 degrees or warmer at all times may help keep the fresh water from freezing, the grey and black should be fine. Perhaps keep the trailer winterized and use antifreeze in the toilet and bottled water for consumption. If you do use the water heater leave it on to prevent freezing.Good luck