Cold weather camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Cold weather camping

There are a few members of this forum who use their Escape trailers all winter. The various options which render these trailers more or less winter capable are what drew us to the brand in the first place, and are rare in the industry. My hope is that folks will share tips, strategies and stories here as we move into colder weather.

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #2

"Drag Chains"

You are required to have these chains for your trailer in Washington, California, and perhaps several other states. The complex details are here. Chain Up Information

I totally got into the weeds when I began research into this topic as I assumed "drag chains" somehow dragged on the ground. Well it so happens you can buy "chains" which drag on the ground for other wheeled equipment but not for trailers. It took a phone call to a Washington State tire dealer to explain to me that drag chains are simply tire chains for the trailer wheels. We now have three sets of these. Peerless Chain Auto Trac Light Truck Snow Chains – 0232405-Tire Chains-Winter-GEAR - Sport Chalet

We found them in sizes to fit both trailer and Rav4 and were able to install in about one minute, at least on bare ground and 60 degrees. Hope the ratchet holds up.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
It depends on if you can get hookups. I use a heated water supply hose and with the Escape furnace or back up electric heat it is very comfortable. I have the extra insulation, thermal package and spray foam. Also the hyper vent pad under the bed. Keep you blinds open to allow any condensation to dry off the window frames. Some petroleum jelly on the rubber around the door should keep it from freezing shut. Also carry a can of lock de-icer.
If no water hookups then winterize the unit via a pump bypass set up and leave the anti=freeze bottle hooked up. That way you can use the toilet if there are none available.
Other than that enjoy the solitude.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #4

We are going to dry camp for the first winter as we have enough to do learning all the other systems plus driving the thing. Next winter I'll want to experiment with using the fresh water system in cold weather. I wonder if just keeping the tanks at 40 degrees via the heat tapes will be enough to keep the entire trailer above freezing while we are away for a few days. I hate to have to drain the system every time we want to leave the unit for a long weekend.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Team

I do not believe the tank heaters come on until 32 and off at 40, check with ETI. But with solar and your furnace on low it should be fine.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Do the heating tapes cover all 3 tanks or just the black and grey tanks ?
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Just the fresh and grey as the black tank in most models is inside. You can get the fresh installed inside on the 19', under the bed as an option.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
At minus 2 deg C in Jasper and minus 8 deg C at Lake Louise and snow 2 weeks ago we turned the tank heaters on, topped up the propane tanks and kept the furnace on low, made sure the outside shower was drained, and checked front box to ensure nothing there could freeze. If you have access to power at the site I suggest carrying a small space heater. Had two locks freeze and used a lighter to heat it up. Had the cover for the black/grey tanks snap a small plastic clasp. A little more condensation at cold temps particularly the front window and found keeping the trailer warm with good air circulation helped.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 19ft
How did you drain the outside shower?
donehrlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Just drained the hose by unscrewing it.

gharper is offline   Reply With Quote