comfortable seating in 5.0ta - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 Lance 845
comfortable seating in 5.0ta

Still thinking about a 5.ota, my main concern is comfortable seating. What have yall done about this? I know most of you don't spend much time inside but do to health issues seating is a high priority for us. I've seen some use a padded chair from the marine store, how exactly do you use those? Looking forward to your ides.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Still thinking about a 5.ota, my main concern is comfortable seating. What have yall done about this?
Others here, have made modifications that increase seating comfort, for them. Look for the ones who have made their dinettes into lounges. They’re reportedly quite comfy. It’s the rear seat that a few folks try to improve, because it is short.

Be sure to visit someone in your area who owns one. They will be happy to have you tour their Escape. The same or similar dinette is in the Escape 21 also, so you have more at your convenience to explore, when you look for local owners.

...and it isn’t too hard to find them through the forum search engine.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
We converted our dinette into a full lounge. Had two extra cushions cut and made the long back cushion 4 inches thick instead of two. This combined with blankets,throw cushions etc. and two wall extensions made for a really comfortable space. Not for everyone but works for us. TV can be moved between two wall mounts in the lounge and the upper bed area.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #4

I'll look up lounge in the search box, thanks gramps. Mark, do you mean the bottom cushions are thicker? And some pics would be great. We did see a 5.0ta a while back,loved it, just waiting for the right time. Oh yeah, I saw the thread about the marine chair right after I posted this! ?! sorry
Old 12-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Some folks use a Bed Rest Pillow or Reading Back Rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed Rest Pillow.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Cushion thicknesses are same as factory. Just had two more cut to fill in the lounge area ie. where the table sits. We did however increase the cushion thickness on the back wall of the dinette from 2 to 4 inches.
Did this so we could rest our arms on it. With a 2 inch cushion your arm just slips off.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #7

Thanks I see what you mean now, "lounge " was the word I needed to search for, turned up some great posts
Old 12-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We plan to replace the foam in the two seat cushions, I don't find it supportive enough and my sit bones can get a bit sore. This leaves softer cushions in the backrest for making up as a bed, which can be placed at shoulders and hips.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A lounge like this??
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We plan to replace the foam in the two seat cushions, I don't find it supportive enough and my sit bones can get a bit sore. This leaves softer cushions in the backrest for making up as a bed, which can be placed at shoulders and hips.
Jim, after sitting a while I sink through the original cushion. Bought replacement High Density foam for just my side and found it too hard. Went back to the original and put piece of 1" HD under the original and it is just right, yes, just like baby bear would have used.

Plan is to replace mine yet again with 2" of medium density (like the original) on top of 2" HD, you can spray glue them together. Just haven't stopped at the upholstery supply shop yet. We actually have one local.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A lounge like this??
That’s my first trial. Bringing several 1 x 4s to Chilliwack. They’re not putting the table sockets in the floor, so I’ll have to use the lounge mode, during the day. That’s going to be my bed area too; if I want to get some sleep.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #12

Just remember each 1x4 is a little different measurement, at least mine were, so cut each one vs cutting both the same.....
Old 12-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just remember each 1x4 is a little different measurement, at least mine were, so cut each one vs cutting both the same.....
Are you referring the width between the benches,where the tabletop drops into; that it is not the same width (34.5”) from front to back? Also, that it differs from trailer-to-trailer. If so, then I’ll not be able to accurately precut the board(s) until I find out what mine will measure.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
Are you referring the width between the benches,where the tabletop drops into; that it is not the same width (34.5”) from front to back? Also, that it differs from trailer-to-trailer. If so, then I’ll not be able to accurately precut the board(s) until I find out what mine will measure.
Yes, take a hand saw or ask Escape to cut them for you. If you cut a 8' piece in half and take the 2 4' pieces you should be fine until your final cut measurement. Remember each trailer interior is hand made so each one can be 1-2" off.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #15

Trailer: not yet
Jim, what exactly am I seeing in your photo "a lounge like this"? This is the U-shape lounge option? In a standard configuration or has this been modified? And I am curious if you tend to sit in the corner at an angle or facing which direction, and where do your legs and feet go?
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #16

This is a stock "U" dinette in a classic 21 model. I removed the stock table and have 2 flip up tables on each side. I added 2 pieces of 1x4 cut to support the 2 corner cushions that form the bridge across and over the table ant hills. I then placed some my cushions in the corners. This allows a twin bed sleeper as well as sitting in the rear comfortable or eating at the 2 flip up tables.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
This is the U-shape lounge option?
It’s modified, with the ability to return everything back to stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
And I am curious if you tend to sit in the corner at an angle or facing which direction, and where do your legs and feet go?
Yes to all. Sit straight with feet to the floor, lay one or both legs to the left or right bench. Turn your legs or the pillow chair to face either direction. Both ways if you still have enough dexterity to do the splits.

So what’s going on here?
As you probably know, the side benches are 25” wide, and the rear bench is only 18” narrow, resulting in a 7” tush-tolerance discrepancy. That’s a major reason of the discomfort discussions. It has been rectified by several methods; of which, two are usually mentioned. Permanent and temporary.

The permanent method, about $350-$500, requires having ETI move the rear board forward, the amount desired. Wiring and internals have to be moved along with the front board. Then the table has to be custom made to fit. New non-standard cushions also have to be cut to fit the new, wider rear seat size, and sent to the upholstery department for custom sized fabric.

The temporary method (Jim’s) will allow the rear bench to be widened also, and the cushions are free of charge; they’re from the corners. Jim says 2-1x4s are used, which is 7 inches, resulting in 25” total width for the seat. If the boards are lifted up and stored, the standard 34.5”x30” table still fits, allowing all bits to be set to normal (for the bed or dining).

The comfort level of either of these two mods will be enhanced, because you have more room for the tush. Prop your feet up on any cushion, or buy a footstool of some sort. It is up to the individual. Sit on it any way you wish.

Further mods may be useful also. You’ve probably seen the single pedestal mods that swing and raise up and down.

Mentioned earlier on this thread was purchasing cushions that are made with foam density and thickness changes.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #18

Here’s a thread on Lagun mount methodology.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...hts-12137.html

And...
Here’s one for the Springfield mount...
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...tal-11984.html

Searching for “table mounts,” returns this page. Maybe
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/se...archid=1932946
Old 12-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Best Fix Dinette Seating

The West Marine Go-Anywhere Low-Back seats arrived and are great!
I see where some have removed the bottom cushion when using the High-Back chair with arms, yet this one is likely thinner and works good with the bottom cushion intact. I substituted the back cushion with one of our filler board cushions making the height lower to recline it without pushing the whole chair 4" closer to the table. Am thinking of just leaving the back cushions out along with the little corner cushion. Like it being armless as our flip up tables work great for one side and they lie flat for easy travel.
Attached Thumbnails
West1.jpg   West2.jpg   West3.jpg  
Old 12-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #20

Trailer: not yet
Thanks to all for the great info, this place is amazing! I'm pretty sure that we would go for the U-dinette (in a 5.0 TA) with extended rear bench for lounging, and probably no mounted table at all as I want the foot and leg space.
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote