Compressor Refrigerator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Compressor Refrigerator

I couldn't log into to my account so I have a new screen name today, I'm posting an update on my compressor refrigerator. As I mentioned before Escape Industries installed a six cubic foot Dometic compressor refrigerator (DMC-2642) in my new 21. I was at Quartzite for a week and using only my 170 watt solar panel I was able to run the refrigerator with no problems, my dual six volt batteries did not drop below 12.4 volts. The refrigerator is very efficient, it get cold quickly and keeps my ice cream frozen. I also wanted to mention, that I enjoyed Quartzite and meeting some of you there
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02162.jpg  
Old Gringo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks for the update and the extra effort in responding.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo1 View Post
As I mentioned before Escape Industries installed a six cubic foot Dometic compressor refrigerator (DMC-2642) in my new 21. I was at Quartzite for a week and using only my 170 watt solar panel I was able to run the refrigerator with no problems, my dual six volt batteries did not drop below 12.4 volts.
In an earlier post you mentioned two panels for a total of 270W. Is this the stock 170W panel and a 100W portable if you need it? This is great information that you could run the fridge without issue, but Quartzsite also has very good solar exposure. I'm interested in hearing how long you can provide power in more northern latitudes which could also include days with cloud cover and/or a partially shaded site. How did it do on the way down from Chilliwack? What was the longest you stayed at one site with only solar power (no shore power or tow vehicle charging)?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #4

I went eight days using the installed 170 watt solar panel only, I did not use the 100 watt Zamp or my generator and I did this as an experiment to see how long the batteries would hold a charge. I did not turn on the refrigerator until I got to California, the weather was miserable and I only used the furnace.
Old Gringo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #5

Trailer: egg camper 2007
Can you post a link to your fridge?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This is great information that you could run the fridge without issue, but Quartzsite also has very good solar exposure.
Maybe in years past but not this year. The storms that rocked through and the associated cloud cover made solar charging difficult.

If Gary was able to run a compressor fridge during this year's Quartzite, it would probably run anywhere.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Maybe in years past but not this year. The storms that rocked through and the associated cloud cover made solar charging difficult.

If Gary was able to run a compressor fridge during this year's Quartzite, it would probably run anywhere.
Too bad he just sold the trailer. Unless the new buyer joins the forum and identifies that they have the compressor fridge we have no chance of a long term report.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #8

Why Compressor Fridge

If we cook with propane and heat with propane why would someone want to complicate the battery charging capabilities by using DC especially if we are not in a sun belt region? We live in our trailer 4 to 5 months a winter down south, and to keep up with DC demands, we still occasionally resort to using our generator for a few hours on rainy days. We have the 170 roof panel and a "mobile" 80 watt Go Power. Of course. we do watch movies or TV nightly and charge smart phones and run coffee grinders, etc.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote