Considering a change from a Casita to a Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Casita Spirit DeLuxe
Considering a change from a Casita to a Escape 19

We have been the proud owners of a 17' Casita SD for the past five years. We have spent over 200 nights in it. We now have two grandchildren, ages 7 and 9. The casita does not provide options for accomodating two kids this age and size. We are considering going to an Escape 19. Please share your views about us making this type change. Should we look for a used or go new? Will we see much of a difference in towing? Will we be happy with the 19 once the kids get too old to go with us? Any comments would be appreciated.
Jimboweeks
Texas
jimboweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We have a 17B, so I can't be of any help with size discussions. Used Escapes seems to be sold very quickly and tend to keep their value well. There are so many options available a lot will depend on how flexible you want to be with a used one that may or may not have an options package that you might want.

Whatever you do, you'll be happy with the quality of Escapes. Good luck!!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have a 2013 17 ft Casita and are also considering the purchase of a larger Escape trailer..
We have 10 grandchildren and one on the way ..We too would like to take the grandchildren on camping trips with us but our 17 ft is a little small for me ,my wife,the dog ,plus a couple of grand kids. We realize that the window in which kids want to spend time with their grandparents is extremely finite but we are not worried about when this time frame ends.
Looking at the price of used Escapes ,they seem to hold their value extremely well and in some cases the cost difference between a new and used Escape is not that significant
New allows you to get the options you want and need ,which is not allways the case with used
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I love my Escape! But, my very smart mother once told me to never buy a home with guests in mind... that's why they invented motels.

Applying that anology, you'll find kids are resilient. Sleeping on the floor, in a tent, etc. may be doable at some point.

In the meantime, if you're interested, I have captured a link on the CasitaForum that a member shows and tells how to convert a Casita SD to side bunkbeds. It supposedly is put up or taken down within a couple of minutes. When not used, you'd have full use of your Casita SD as usual.

Not trying to dissuade you from an Escape purchase, just wanting to provide another idea.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I understand Donna's position. The times we've spent money to accommodate hypothetical others, we've often been disappointed (e.g. making sure we had a guest room in the house we built, which seldom got used).

On the other hand, I believe some things are worth large risks. Maybe this upgrade will cost you $15K (that's just a guess)... But if it makes the difference to whether or not you get more time with your grand kids, its $15K well spent. Just accept that it is a risk, and even you spend the money you might not see the kids any more frequently.

As to the 19 itself -- my wife and I love it for just the two of us. We could get by with a smaller trailer, but the space in the 19 gives us a couple of things we quite like: a larger bed, and a larger dinette in particular.

If you do look used, keep in mind that the bunk option in the 19 must be built-in. It's not something that can be added after the fact. So if you want to go used, and you want the bunk, you've got an even tighter market than the already-small used Escape market.

I can't speak to differences with your Casita, but we find the 19 tows beautifully.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think you can accommodate the kids in your Casita. I would say the move to an Escape 19 would be for other reasons - like a bigger main bed, tandem axles for smooth and easy towing, more interior space and storage, and the ability to truly customize your build. Also, the quality of the Escape speaks for itself.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We went to and toured both the Casita and ETI plants. We were pretty sure it would be a Casita and ordered the tow vehicle for it. Then we spotted the Escape 19 and after seeing the 19 by the 21 we ordered the 21. It came down to extra room plus we felt the Escape was built better. I think one of these days Casita may offer a bigger trailer. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Don't forget to look at the 21 and if your tow vehicle is a truck look at the 5.0TA also. No point in moving up 2 feet at a time.
As for other peoples opinion remember its yourselves that must be happy and justify your purchase. That said we're all sure you will love what ever Escape you purchase.

Cheers Doug
Old 11-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Yes two footitis costs several thousand dollars each time
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Our move from Casita 17 LD to Escape 21 was primarily the dedicated no-crawl over bed. 2 dogs sleep under the dinette at the rear which also provides a bed for 2 grandkids........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #11

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
casita 17 or ?

We used a Casita 17 for several years, a 19 escape for almost 3 years and a 21 escape now for just over a year and lots of miles and nights. We could not go back to either the 19 or the Casita.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
One point that I have not seen come up yet is trailer width. All Casitas are the same classic small-trailer width (80 inches or 2 metres) as the single-axle Escapes (13', 15', 17' original 5.0); the Escape 19' is 4 inches (or 10 cm) wider. The extra width is part of what makes the interior space more liveable; it is also a contributor to some more air drag, more difficulty seeing around the trailer, and a bit more difficulty getting into tight spots (although a Escape 19' is still much narrower than most travel trailers).

The Escape 21' is another 4 inches (or 10 cm) wider than the Escape 19'.

My current trailer (not an Escape yet) is about the width of an Escape 19'; I would prefer narrower, but for enough space I should actually have wider. Life: a series of compromises.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I jumped in with a 21 from the get go primarily because of all the two footitis posts that crop up.

I liked the layout too.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We used a Casita 17 for several years, a 19 escape for almost 3 years and a 21 escape now for just over a year and lots of miles and nights. We could not go back to either the 19 or the Casita.
Jack
It is extremely comforting to read a post like this especially when we ended up ordering the 21 after very serious consideration to both the Casita and the Escape 19. Without actually camping in them, you just aren't sure. And it took a trip to Chilliwack to make up our minds between the 19 and 21. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
It is extremely comforting to read a post like this especially when we ended up ordering the 21 after very serious consideration to both the Casita and the Escape 19. Without actually camping in them, you just aren't sure. And it took a trip to Chilliwack to make up our minds between the 19 and 21. Loren
We had a 17LD Casita (for the king bed lengthwise in the Casita) but the added width of the 21 and the permanent no-crawl over bed made the difference for us vs a 19. Although the 21 bed is only 54 inches wide compared to a true queen bed, we flopped on one at a rally and decided it would work fine instead of a full width queen - and it has. Also had ETI put us in direct contact with their mattress vendor and ordered the firmest one they could make as we found the ETI version a bit too soft. I can still use the Tacoma mirrors without extensions with the 21 width fine while driving, although I did add a rear view camera for backing into my storage building that I also find useful when on the road and at camp sites.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I jumped in with a 21 from the get go primarily because of all the two footitis posts that crop up.

I liked the layout too.
We got the two footitis out of our system by going with the 19. We just didn't care for the layout of the 21. How convenient then that ETI makes a model for every taste!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Jack
On the 19', is that the oft-mentioned bed climb-over or some other things? Someone just told me they are getting another 19' because of bed size and location. It is very particular to each buyer but there may be other considerations that have not been mentioned.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I like the permanent bed in the back of the 19'. The climb over bothers my wife a bit more than myself, as she is the one having to climb over. Of course, I tend to make more night time trips than she does and also rise first in the mornings, so the sleeping positions do make sense for us. I could not ever see moving up to the 21' but the 5TA does have a real appeal to me. Maybe in a couple years when I am ready to switch my daily driver to a truck, it could be time to upsize the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our first Escape was a 17B and loved it. Wanted something larger though as we were going to be out longer post retirement. Checked out a 19 and thought it was just a slightly larger version of the 17. The 21 definitely has more elbow room where you don't have to say "excuse me" going by in the aisle. For anyone with a full-size truck the 5.0 TA may make good sense.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Jimboweeks,
We had a Casita for 8 years and had a great time with it. Now that we are retired and able to camp for longer times we wanted something a little bigger and with possibly enough room for the grandkids. I think you would like the 19 or the 21. The bunk option in the 19 is nice but the climb over bed and smaller bathroom led us to the 21. You should look at both models - call Escape and they can tell you where to find some models to look at, or go to a rally. Once you've decided you could look for used but they are hard to find. New is great too.
Good luck, its all good!
Kathie
PS The grandkids had a great time camping with us this summer - here they are with the dinette turned into a big bed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1011.JPG  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote