Controlling the Brake Controller - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I totally agree with Donna, the more information given, the better. I MUCH prefer that people fill out their user info, including location, trailer, tow vehicle, and first name (or whatever they like to be called). It does help a lot in how and what your response may be. The more information we are armed with, the more helpful we can be.

It feels weird conversing with an seemingly unknown entity.
Sure but the break controller isn't tow or trailer specific and don't most break controllers operate somewhat similar. It seems so after reading Brian B-P 's response.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Sure but the break controller isn't tow or trailer specific and don't most break controllers operate somewhat similar. It seems so after reading Brian B-P 's response.
My response has nothing to do with brake controllers specifically. I was just pointing out a general courtesy that could be beneficial in any instance.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My response has nothing to do with brake controllers specifically. I was just pointing out a general courtesy that could be beneficial in any instance.
Hi-jacking the thread were ya
Old 09-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
I updated the profile, thank you for the suggestion.
I'm driving a Chevy Tahoe with a Tekonsha P3 controler pulling an Escape 19.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
I updated the profile, thank you for the suggestion.
I'm driving a Chevy Tahoe with a Tekonsha P3 controler pulling an Escape 19.
THANKS GARY, I see you now. I think those that have a Tekonsha P3 should have first dibs on answering your question.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
My brakes first engage around the 1.7 setting and I have my controller set at 2.1 which gives a solid feel to my stop. As others have said, you need to go to an empty lot and practice stopping with the various settings, too high and your trailer will skid, too low and your tow vehicle may skid, just right where both engage together to stop you without skidding.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #17

what type/name break controller are you referring to cpaharley2008?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If someone asked "I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow... what route should I take?", it would of course not be possible to answer without asking where they want to go.
This is more like "I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow... how do I read a map?" We can teach someone how to read a map without knowing where they are going or even which map they are using.

The only way to provide a nice tidy answer immediately is to tell him what specific setting to use. Since every trailer is different (mostly in weight) and there is some variation in controllers, there is no way to get that right... only maybe close enough.

Also, the question wasn't "what number do I use on the controller setting", it was "How do I set up and control my brake controller", followed by a start to the discussion of the method for determining the correct gain setting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree of course that the specific controller will determine the details of setup and operation - although any common proportional controller works in fundamentally the same way - so knowing that it is a Tekonsha P3 does help. The setup instructions for this controller are in the "install instructions" which are linked to the product page of the Tekonsha site, in the section "Adjusting the Power to the Trailer Brakes". They are fundamentally the same as for previous generations of this controller (the Prodigy series), and for most controllers, although the Prodigys also have "boost" settings to confuse things a bit.

It also helps somewhat to know that the trailer is an Escape 19'. Since all trailers of this model have the same brakes (although they vary in condition), and they generally have the same size tires (which affect brake behaviour), the right setting will be roughly similar. For instance, if other 19' owners find that "6" works well, it would be unlikely that "2" would be right for this trailer. The right setting does depend on the trailer weight, so there is no single answer for all Escape 19's.

The tug doesn't really matter to the right setting, or at all to the setting method, but it is somewhat helpful to note that it will be a little harder to tell when the setting is right with the Tahoe than with a lighter tug, for instance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
what type/name break controller are you referring to cpaharley2008?
Mine is a Hayes Energize III model, 6 years old. Gee time to think about a new one...