Could Escape "hatch" a propane tank cover? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A can of Krylon is going to take you a lot further. Trust me.
Once you get rid of that blue-white color and match the trailer with the Dover White, you'll not even notice the cover, which BTW is extremely light weight, easy to slip off and on and is designed with built-in ribs that keep it from coming off or rattling around.
What we should be doing is asking the maker of the cover why they don't colour it to match most trailers. Who builds a trailer with a blue-white gel coat?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #22

Trailer: escape 21may 2014
gbaglo, I'll try the paint for sure. Maybe there will be another option to consider someday.
burrab2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Good point Glen - I don't know how you get the tanks out - well I do - there's a lid but it looks awkward. I'll have to ask some of our Bigfoot friends like Chuck how difficult it is. And, yes, it is fiberglass.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Although the Bigfoot box approach is very different from Escape's in one respect - it includes an extension of the frame - the integrated look could still be applicable. Overall, I agree with Baglo: the generic cover - painted for colour-matching if desired - makes more sense.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #25

Trailer: No RV for now.
Here's a box that an Escape owner created. He has a 17B, battery on the back, so the battery is not in the box. He will be at Osoyoos.
Attached Thumbnails
PB_box2.jpeg   PB_box3.jpeg  
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too like the classier look of the Bigfoot cover, though do agree the shape could be nicer. I would prefer that over one of the storage boxes used now.

I too have lots of ideas rolling around in my head for building one too, from aluminum to fiberglass reinforced the plywood. Now, if I could just fine the time.....oh wait, they I should finish my 100 other projects first.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I believe the propane cover currently used is made by Camco. They do sell them in "Colonial White" which would be a closer match. Amazon.ca lists them on their site but calls them "beige". I cross checked with the Camco web site and found the number listed on Amazon matches the Camco colonial white code.
http://www.amazon.ca/Camco-40525-Hea...ane+tank+cover
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #28

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Propane cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrab2002 View Post
Has anyone ever asked Reace to produce a propane cover that would match our trailers. I really do not like the universal plastic covers or the vinyl snap on ones. I would gladly pay extra for a classy looking cover and I'm sure it would go great with the trailers. Heck, if they can whip out a new 5.0 I'm sure a mold for a tank cover would be easy.

Pete

The propane cover color was the first thing I addressed when we took delivery of our Escape a few years back. I posted the color on the forum that I picked as the closest in tone - Krylon Fusion Paint for Plastic - color Dover White 42322. Baglo later reported he would try it although if I recall correctly, he ended up with a few oops drips!

Attached Thumbnails
Propane Cover.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #29

Tis true.
I've gone through several cans of Krylon ( only one on the propane cover ). I've had issues with the can spitting blobs and leaking. Krylon sent me replacements, but didn't explain what the problem was or how to avoid it.
Anyway, the blobs seem to melt away as it dries. I've got no runs.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #30

Gotta add, looking at that picture which shows the ribs very well, those ribs add strength to a very light weight material. They also help secure the cover to the tank.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Tis true.
The can spitting blobs and leaking. Krylon sent me replacements, but didn't explain what the problem was or how to avoid it.

Try placing can in warmed water -- say hot tap water and then cool if excessive -- to make the paint spray finer. Sometimes I leave can in hot sun for a bit( 30-40 minutes) instead.

Be safe. Use common sense when heating can contents so as not to cause rupture.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 17B "Acorn" Towed by 2007 Silverado Duramax
Propane tank cover

Hi Everyone. I am a a new member and future owner of a 17B. Just ordered my trailer and it will be finished in January. I just sold a 21' Bigfoot. I am downsizing to a smaller trailer that can be towed by my SUV. The Bigfoot propane cover was nice. It was made of fiberglass, had a hinged top for accessing the bottles and batteries and it was fairly light. I agree, it would be nice for Escape to fashion a cover even if it was an option. Much classier looking, especially on a high end trailer like an Escape.
jaydjay48 is offline   Reply With Quote