Covers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2015, 12:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Covers

I covered my 17 ft Casita with a Calmark cover and found it costly but effective. Was wondering what others thought about covering my 19' Escape?
Thanks
Bobo
Bend
TV 2008 Toyota Sequoia
2016 19' Escape
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Here's a thread on the topic:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...over-3534.html
Old 06-21-2015, 02:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
I covered my 17 ft Casita with a Calmark cover and found it costly but effective. Was wondering what others thought about covering my 19' Escape?
Thanks
Bobo
Bend
TV 2008 Toyota Sequoia
2016 19' Escape
We have one for our 19 . Just put it on a couple days ago after a wash and wax because she is going to sit for a couple months . We have to worry about sun .over the years for other rv's have just about had them all . This cover fits the best and we feel it was worth it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've used them for the last 9 years, worked well till this past winter.

By mistake I bought the cheap ADCO cover (they changed the styles). Very windy cold winter, while the cover held up fairly well, when removing it this spring I found the trailer was dirty, which is a first. Combination of the dirt and the wind ground in the dirt. Washing did not take it all off, left kind a light brown haze at all the corners. I buffed all the corners to remove it. I'm taking it that it actually wore down the Gelcoat a bit and buffing restored the original sheen.

While I blame a cheap cover that allowed fine dirt to get through, I don't think I'm going to use one again, even a better one. I'm undecided on putting up an RV sized carport, they are pretty ugly.

On the plus side for Escape, the dirt may well have worn holes in the rubber roof of my old trailer, just light scratching to a fiberglass trailer.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A good wax job is my choice.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've used them for the last 9 years, worked well till this past winter.

By mistake I bought the cheap ADCO cover (they changed the styles). Very windy cold winter, while the cover held up fairly well, when removing it this spring I found the trailer was dirty, which is a first. Combination of the dirt and the wind ground in the dirt. Washing did not take it all off, left kind a light brown haze at all the corners. I buffed all the corners to remove it. I'm taking it that it actually wore down the Gelcoat a bit and buffing restored the original sheen.

While I blame a cheap cover that allowed fine dirt to get through, I don't think I'm going to use one again, even a better one. I'm undecided on putting up an RV sized carport, they are pretty ugly.

On the plus side for Escape, the dirt may well have worn holes in the rubber roof of my old trailer, just light scratching to a fiberglass trailer.
Hi Bob . I am not a sales person for CalMark. As said previously have used all kinds of covers . Because I can't put up a shelter where I live went with this CalMark cover . I have had my cover for about a year and half . This material is softer and because it is custom made for your trailer fits very nice . It keeps the dirt off and have not found any abrasion from dirt etc. I did however find the same problem you speak of on the previous covers Adco was one, on my other RV's .I was hesitant at first ,cost and worrying about causing more problems then just not covering . But so far I am happy . I also got them to make a separate cover for my box in front because that is a constant wash and wax due to it 's design . Water and dirt sit on it . Hope this helps but please do what makes you feel comfortable . Pat
Old 06-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
.... I ... went with this CalMark cover . .. . Pat
Pat,
Did you happen to take your 19 to Calmark, since they're in Oxnard?

When I get our 17 home, that's what I was planning to do: take it to their shop, so they could verify my measurements, and see exactly where things like A/C and Solar stick out or stick up.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks Pat, while I believe a good cover like the Calmark would not have the same problem, a carport wouldn't either. I'll probably not do anything this season as we'll be out on the road for most of the rest of the year through March, will decide next spring. With the cost of the CalMark, a carport is not all that much more.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
...With the cost of the CalMark, a carport is not all that much more.
A well built carport adds to the asset of your home. When you go to sell, being able to say "Covered RV/boat storage" is a plus.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Pat,

When I get our 17 home, that's what I was planning to do: take it to their shop, so they could verify my measurements, and see exactly where things like A/C and Solar stick out or stick up.
Hi Don . Almost there ! Actually they came to the house . They had some kind of new measuring device . They wanted to keep my 19 on file for future use for other customers . talk to them maybe they would do the same for you or that sounds like a good idea to go there . I am getting excited for you too now . Pat
Old 06-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A well built carport adds to the asset of your home. When you go to sell, being able to say "Covered RV/boat storage" is a plus.
Donna I wish I could have the shelter but where I live it is not allowed . Believe me have looked at all these solutions . Really wish could be in garage . That won 't work for me because of my driveway layout . I have a old car in there now and it doesn't deteriorate . I have thought of a mover maybe to get it up driveway and a turn into garage . I also have to have somewhere to put woodworking equipment . So a lot of things in the way . Pat
Old 06-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Pat,

Don I forgot when cover was completed I went to Oxnard and picked up mine . I saved
50 .00 for shipping . Nice chunk of change . Pat
Old 06-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Don I forgot when cover was completed I went to Oxnard and picked up mine . I saved
50 .00 for shipping . Nice chunk of change . Pat
Oh; thanks, that's good to know.
I will be contacting them this summer, about whether to bring the trailer to them or not.

13 weeks from now we will be in Whatcom County, Washington, getting ready to make the jump over to Chilliwack the following morning. It's hard to sit still when I think about it.

I spent this afternoon planning our initial trip home. Depending on the weather, we'll spend 2½ weeks cruising the Cascade and Sierra Nevada Mountains (wherever there are railroads).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh; thanks, that's good to know.
I will be contacting them this summer, about whether to bring the trailer to them or not.

13 weeks from now we will be in Whatcom County, Washington, getting ready to make the jump over to Chilliwack the following morning. It's hard to sit still when I think about it.

I spent this afternoon planning our initial trip home. Depending on the weather, we'll spend 2½ weeks cruising the Cascade and Sierra Nevada Mountains (wherever there are railroads).
Alright ! Hope for pictures? Pat