Crossing into Canada with stuff - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Crossing into Canada with stuff

Hello all,
We will be heading to Canada for our Escape 5.0TA orientation which takes place at 9AM on December 13! Since we will have a couple of days camping on the way back, we need all kinds of STUFF to get by. How big of a deal is it going to be to take a pick-up load of miscellaneous stuff into Canada overnight for the orientation and then transport the stuff back out again to put into our trailer when we take delivery on the US side?

Also, Bruce wants to drive a few hours south on I-5 before stopping for the night. If we leave Canada at noon, will we run into awful traffic getting past Seattle? And can anyone recommend a facility at which to camp south of Seattle?

Thanks so much!
Z
Old 11-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
No problem at all as long as you do not have what they do not allow. Our car was completely packed with every kind of thing from the previous trailer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
There are a couple of Washington State parks that we liked . Also i recommend the AllStays ap for finding campgrounds.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
The big items you cannot cross the boarder with are firearms or weapons and most fresh food, meat or produce. Other than that make a list of everything you are bringing over to declare so these items will be cleared when you return, this prevents any chance that the US customs will try to charge you import duty on the items you brought with you.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Keep it simple, Z. Bring all the gear and camping supplies you will need to get home. Wait and shop for food/groceries once back in Washington. Except for guns and contraband, most of the forbidden products are food related and you will confidently answer “No” to any question food related.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
The big items you cannot cross the boarder with are firearms or weapons and most fresh food, meat or produce. Other than that make a list of everything you are bringing over to declare so these items will be cleared when you return, this prevents any chance that the US customs will try to charge you import duty on the items you brought with you.

In the spring when we went up with the rear of the truck loaded with trailer stuff neither side seemed to care what was in the back. The Canadians were very interested in making sure I did not have any guns or ammo and oddly the American side was making sure no drugs like pot were coming across. We had neither with us so it was just wait in line, answer a few questions and off we went.

Edit, mentioning you are going to Escape to see your new trailer or on your way across the border to the U.S.A. to hook up to your new trailer seems to help a lot.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

They went into our trailer and looked into the refrigerator so know what you have.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Most (some) people hit up Bay View WA state park for the first night.

Do you want my list of RV park review sites?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I had an SUV jammed full of stuff and once I told them where I was going they didn't care. Many of the border patrol actually know about Escape as there is a rather regular parade of them across the border. Thus they r familar with people headed N to pick them up.
There is a nice CG not far from Bob's where they hook ur new Escape up to ur vehicle.
I was glad it was close when my bike rack would not clear my spare tire. The guy who towed the trailer put my bike in the back of his truck and we went south about half a mile to the CG.
Decent pull thru spot- very friendly lady host.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
It will be a really long day to drive for several hours after picking up your trailer. I'd recommend stopping at Lynden KOA or Bayview State Park as it may already be afternoon before you finish the orientation and border crossing. Pulling a trailer through Seattle traffic is a project best done well rested.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Here is part of my posting to a thread a year or so ago on a related topic regarding our experience in October 2015:

We had our 8' truck bed (covered by a BAKFLP tonneau cover) and the extended cab back seat loaded to the gills. Going north and then back south at the Sumas crossing two days later with this load neither the Canadian officer (who was well familiar with ETI) nor the American officer was interested in looking in the truck after listening to our story of our trailer importation.

Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Bear spray can be a problem going in to Canada. It has to be a certain strength and in a "regulation" canister. Probably best to leave it at home.

Oh, and the Canadian border guards made me finish my apple and drop the core into a designated trash can. I willingly complied...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Bear spray can be a problem going in to Canada. It has to be a certain strength and in a "regulation" canister. Probably best to leave it at home.

Oh, and the Canadian border guards made me finish my apple and drop the core into a designated trash can. I willingly complied...

--
Alan
As I understood it, bear spray is fine for Canada. It is people self-defense sprays that are not. In fact, we bought bear spray in Jasper at the welcome center. Big thing! Lots bigger than our self-defense sprays.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
No firewood, either direction.

Regarding bear spray-- American bear spray is stronger than Canadian bear spray, so it is not allowed in Canada. The reverse is not true; Canadian bear spray is allowed to cross the border into the U.S.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here is a decent description of the difference between bear spray and pepper spray.

https://cottagelife.com/outdoors/wha...-pepper-spray/
Old 11-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

Regarding bear spray-- American bear spray is stronger than Canadian bear spray, so it is not allowed in Canada. The reverse is not true; Canadian bear spray is allowed to cross the border into the U.S.
Our bears say sorry when they scare you on the trail.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:

Canadian Gov't rules - See link, page 11 (c) Exception pertaining to bear spray.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...9-13-2-eng.pdf
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Quote:

This summer when I made numerous crossings of the border to pick up my Escspe, attend the Rally and then go to Alaska, when I told the Canadian border patrol about my bear spray they never once asked me if it was from the US or Canada. Never asked to see it. They said "it" was not a problem. And I always declared my bear spray and bourbon.
What they REALLY cared about was firearms!
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Our bears say sorry when they scare you on the trail.
And we say sorry in return It's a Canadian thing.

We fairly regularly cross into the US at three different crossings with our trailer. At two of them they have never asked to look in the trailer, at the third they always do, but it's usually so quick I don't think they even open the fridge to check for fruits and vegs. Of course we know better to never have any with us when we cross, at least not into the US, coming into Canada we never have an issue with groceries we might have. When asked just say we have $x worth of groceries but not asked what type.

From all I have heard I think that Sumas is not usually an issue as on both sides they are familiar with Escape.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The bottom line is that the primary reason that border guards might ask about lot's of "stuff" is to determine if you're importing it. So they're not the least bit interested if they're told you're going to your new trailer or whatever.

The comments about guns not being allowed isn't very accurate, some types are. It just requires paperwork before hand. The lying that you don't have any firearms and then getting caught is what does't go over very well.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote