Crunch time for my build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Crunch time for my build sheet

It’s crunch time for getting my build sheet finalized, it’s due 11/14, and I’d like some opinions.

I ordered the stainless steel sink and stove top but am thinking of going back to the standard white just to make the inside appear lighter. Is there a reason I should stick with the stainless?

I've asked that the sink not be installed in the bathroom, gives an old man more room and being a single traveler I have no problem using the kitchen sink for hand washing. Has anyone else gone this route?

Solar panel, it’s not on the build sheet right now but the wiring is. Dual 6V batteries are on the sheet so I question the need for solar panels too. Much of my camping would be dry camping and I don’t see myself staying in one place for extended periods of time, (a week or more). Maybe going a year without panels would answer my need for them, they can always be installed later.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
I would stick with the stainless. It looks cleaner. If you are going with the two 6 volts, you might as well add the solar panels for boo docking! It's only money!����

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I'd go for functionality and how you use the sink and stove top; the white may provide more light but the stainless provides more reflection especially at night. I chose the stainless because I knew I'd bang it up and have cracks and scratches in no time with the white finish.

I've never seen the point in having a tiny, tiny sink in the bathroom but then I don't even have a bathroom. I have no problem using the kitchen sink for hand washing and teeth brushing.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: OneOleMan... Isn't the shower part of the sink function? No sink no shower!!! BTW Welcome to the Escape family. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You will get lots of people telling you why you need solar. The batteries alone are not sufficient for much. Depends on what you use and how much. You can do the math which I am sure someone will fill you in on or you can find on other threads.

Bath sinks come standard and I always tell people that it is a bad idea to remove anything that is standard. Those things are usually there for very good reasons. And on resale, people notice main items missing.

Almost everyone gets stainless. We have the white. I like the white but the stainless is really sharp-looking and I would get it next time. Many say they get the stainless for more durability.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I chose the stainless because I knew I'd bang it up and have cracks and scratches in no time with the white finish.
Good point of scratching the white finish, that was sort of in the back of my mind and you just confirmed it
2012 4Runner
Old 11-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our 2011 has no scratches that I have noticed in the sink. Will have to look next time. We also do not use heavy or metal cookware for the most part though. That could be the problem with others.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
... Solar panel, it’s not on the build sheet right now but the wiring is. Dual 6V batteries are on the sheet so I question the need for solar panels too. Much of my camping would be dry camping and I don’t see myself staying in one place for extended periods of time, (a week or more). Maybe going a year without panels would answer my need for them, they can always be installed later.
One cheap option: You can find used 120watt brand-name panels on eBay for about $120US. Hook one up to to your 6x2 battery bank without a controller and you should be just fine. Keep one eye on a volt meter and don't charge if the battery appears to be full. Use a blocking diode if the panel doesn't come with one ( a dollar or three).

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The bathroom sink makes a fine grab handle for getting up off the loo. It's also a handy place to store shampoo containers and wet wipes. I store extra TP by jamming the rolls between the down pipe and the shower wall.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: OneOleMan... Isn't the shower part of the sink function? No sink no shower!!! BTW Welcome to the Escape family. Alf
Hi Alf and thanks for the welcome. After I got home I thought the same thing so I've e-mailed ETI to find out. (Good thing I've 10 days left.)
2012 4Runner
Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi Alf and thanks for the welcome. After I got home I thought the same thing so I've e-mailed ETI to find out. (Good thing I've 10 days left.)
Hi: OneOleMan... Someone once wrote on the bathroom wall "THINK"... and someone else wrote underneath "Thoap".
The think makes a mighty fine thoap dish.
The count down continues!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Bath sink deduction will be maybe $30 and to add it later would be over $200 with the needed plumbing. Plastic sink will be stained/beat up/scratched in 4-5 years. One big 12V battery with the solar means no chasing outlets (plug in an aftermarket inverter if you need it for coffee or microwave.) I did go for the surge suppressor, having been in lighting storms in the past and lost my TV and microwave in one.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I don't like stainless steel because it never looks clean unless you spend all of your time tending to the finish. White is very practical, always look great, and does not scratch. My white sink, stove top and hood all look new after more than 35 camping trips over 2 1/2 years.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Vote white sink; we use a tub inside of it and throw out our gray water. Stainless is hard enough to keep clean in the house- don't need it when camping.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
White vs Stainless

Quote:
It’s crunch time for getting my build sheet finalized, it’s due 11/14, and I’d like some opinions.

I ordered the stainless steel sink and stove top but am thinking of going back to the standard white just to make the inside appear lighter. Is there a reason I should stick with the stainless?

I've asked that the sink not be installed in the bathroom, gives an old man more room and being a single traveler I have no problem using the kitchen sink for hand washing. Has anyone else gone this route?

Solar panel, it’s not on the build sheet right now but the wiring is. Dual 6V batteries are on the sheet so I question the need for solar panels too. Much of my camping would be dry camping and I don’t see myself staying in one place for extended periods of time, (a week or more). Maybe going a year without panels would answer my need for them, they can always be installed later.

We have ordered an Escape 21, so I don't know if this applies to your situation. As we looked over the options with Tammy, my wife suggested that she didn't need a stainless steel sink. Tammy said that because we were choosing an oven option apparently our stove top would be black, not white and suggested this might clash more with a white sink than a stainless. The fridge door is also stainless. It wouldn't matter to me, but apparently it matters to women.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I have never ever had a problem keeping a stainless sink clean (now stainless house appliances are a different matter--I wouldn't have one given a choice) nor do I have a problem with the stove in the trailer. Believe me, I'd be the first to complain if there were problems.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'm told stainless is more durable, like Karen we had any problem keeping it clean. Personally I think the SS looks sharper.

As far as the bath sink, if it's the same as the one in the 5.0TA I don't have a problem with it. I continually bump into the walls trying to shower, but not the sink. It is a bit of a hassle to dry around but does make a good holder for the soap and shampoo while showering. I do use it to shave, while standing in the aisle. If it was just me it wouldn't matter one way or the other.

Solar, if you go prewire. Not a simple thing to install your own panel on the roof and add a controller in the trailer. Takes a fair amount of research if you're new to solar like me, but you can end up with a better setup for less or the same money. It amounts to, If you'e not real handy let ETI do it during the build. If you want to tackle it yourself you can wait and see if you need it.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have one of the biggest, shiniest stainless stinks put into an ETI build. Love it! Use this product, it's easy to keep looking stellar: Sheila Shine Inc. Official Site
Attached Thumbnails
Stove-02.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We had a 17B with regular lights and a 12V battery, and with a back up LED coleman lantern and with some "caution" we were able to last for 3-4 days. We now have a 5TA - we did get 2- 6volts this time, all LED lights- you may want to get these, makes a big difference in power draw, and pre wired for solar, we don't boondock often but we are going to wait and see if that works before we go to the panel......I'm pretty sure we will have no problem with 4-5 days, but it depends on how you want to use things.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

I would do the stainless steel sink, myself. I have a SMEV sink/stove combo that has lids that close flush to the counter I like.

I am one that would rather not have the sink. If we have used it twice in 6 years, that would be it.

I recently bought a portable 40W solar panel, that I rarely use, though it does help some. I have camped for four nights in a row at temps near or below freezing, and have still had battery power left, without using any solar. Mind you, we are usually busy doing stuff during the day, and rarely spend time in the trailer. Even evenings usually find us around the campfire. You do not have to keep the batteries topped right up every day, but do have to watch you do not drain them too far either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote