Cubbies - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Cubbies

Sandy & I have been setting on our hands here in Texas watching for pictures of 2012 Escape 5.0's. Attempting to learn what will be new, what can be offered, how to make payment, and recently how to get home without permanent tags. We were wondering what "cubbies in the 5.0" were and might look like. Tammy was kind enough to send us a couple of pictures we are sharing with you. I believe they are for quick, handy, temporary storage of anything while sleeping. My thought was eyeglasses, a flashlight, and a firearm.
Attached Images

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Cubbies

If you plan to enter Canada to pick up your trailer, don't bring your firearm, even if you have a convenient "cubbie" to store it in.

We don't "cotton to that sorta thing up here".

Couple 70-year-old guys in a motor home failed to declare their firearms when crossing the border ( they would have been confiscated ) and ended up with no time in prison, but as I recall, about $15,000 in fines. And, they had to return to Beautiful British Columbia for their trial.

baglo

Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

Here's another story:

U.S. citizen should be grateful he has poor health--it kept him out of a potential three year "visit" to a Canadian prison after he tried to enter the country with a cache of undeclared weapons.

Collie Roe, a 66 year-old self-described firearms instructor from Arizona, thought he'd take a shortcut from Michigan to a New York gun show by cutting across Canada. At the border he declared he was carrying four weapons to a gun show. Customs officials must have smelled a rat, because they searched Roe's RV and towed vehicle. In reality, Roe was toting a total of 16 firearms, a loaded handgun in his pocket, and several more--including 9 mm and .45 caliber handguns--all loaded--in the immediate vicinity of his driver seat.

According to the Times Herald of Port Huron, Roe could have spent the mandatory three-year sentence in jail for his convictions on weapons possession, illegal importation, and customs evasions charges. In light of his poor health, a Canadian court rolled his convictions into what in the US is considered a misdemeanor status. Nevertheless, Roe spent three months in jail, had to pay $5,000 to get his RV and toad released, and his weapons will soon be scrap metal.

baglo
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

Here's another story that has some info the regs.

As in, you could bring in a long gun with proper paper work, but only with a reason ( like hunting grizzlies ).
Your revolver won't get across the border.

Guns seized at Aldergrove border

Eleven illegal weapons were seized at B.C. border crossings last week, including five in Aldergrove.

By Neal Hall, Postmedia Network July 20, 2011

Canadian border officers in B.C. seized 75 firearms so far this year, included 10 loaded handguns.

The seized weapons were mainly from U.S. travelers who failed to declare them, according to the Canada Border Services Agency.

It is illegal to bring undeclared firearms into Canada.

A total of 461 firearms were seized last year at border crossings across Canada, with 141 of those seized at B.C. crossings.

The CBSA provided a list today of the most recent seizures last week:

July 11: An officer at the Aldergrove border crossing seized five loaded handguns and a loaded shotgun from two U.S. men who were heading to Alaska.

The travellers, Hugh Wayne Barr and Danny Ray Cross, did not declare any firearms during the primary examination, but the weapons were discovered in the vehicle during a secondary examination.

Both men were arrested and charged by CBSA’s Criminal Investigations Division with various offences, including smuggling under the Customs Act and firearms offences under the Criminal Code.

The judge ordered both men to be released on $50,000 bail.

July 12: CBSA officers at the Osoyoos crossing discovered and seized a loaded 9-mm handgun from Max C. Montgomery, a U.S. resident. Officers also discovered two magazines capable of containing more than 10 cartridges.

Montgomery has been charged by CBSA’s Criminal Investigations Division with various offences, including smuggling under the Customs Act and firearms offences under the Criminal Code. He was released on $10,000 bail.

July 13: Two travellers arrived at the Pacific Highway crossing in Surrey in a motorhome, intending to tour B.C. for two months. The vehicle and occupants were referred for an examination where an undeclared loaded .22-calibre revolver and ammunition were discovered. The firearm was seized and both travellers were arrested for smuggling and later returned to the US.

July 14: Officers at the Abbotsford-Huntington crossing seized an undeclared, loaded .380-calibre handgun from a U.S. resident, Jack Vinson, who had not declared any firearms. The firearm was found in the vehicle and Vinson was immediately arrested and charged with three offences under the Customs Act and Criminal Code. He is currently in CB custody.

July 17: Officers at the Douglas crossing in Surrey seized two smuggled handguns and arrested Nathan John Keese of the U.S., who allegedly attempted to bring a loaded 9-mm semi-automatic pistol and a .50 Cal semi-automatic pistol into Canada. He was charged with weapons offences under the Customs Act and Criminal Code.

The CBSA warns U.S. travellers to be aware that visitors to Canada must declare all firearms in writing.

This can be done by filling out Non-Resident Firearm Declaration form and paying a $25 fee. Once confirmed by a border services officer, it has the same effect as a temporary license and registration and is valid for up to 60 days. All necessary forms can be found at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Anyone who does not declare their firearms upon arrival can face prosecution, and the firearms and the vehicle used to carry them may be seized.

Visitors may temporarily import non-restricted firearms, such as common hunting rifles and shotguns, if they complete the non-resident firearm declaration and if they a valid purpose (hunting, target shooting, for protection from wild animals in remote areas where firearms are allowed).

For information on importing a firearm, visit: http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/visitin_e.asp.

U.S. visitors to Canada should also ensure they comply with Canadian regulations concerning the safe transportation of firearms.

As well, many weapons are considered prohibited and therefore not allowed in Canada.

Travellers who have fully declared prohibited weapons or firearms, but don’t have the required licence or permit to import them into Canada, will not have their goods seized, and have the option to have CBSA hold the weapons until the required permits and licences are obtained, abandoning the goods to the Crown or appealing the prohibited classification.

baglo
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #5

This new post was not posted for the discussion of the right to bear arms. I am familiar with the laws concerning the entry of Canada from the US. This is about a new feature built by Escape Industries for 2012 for future buyers. Save your gun stories for another time and another post.

David
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #6

I didn't bring up packing firearms in my "cubbie". I believe you posted that.

I simply posted information that may warn others who are not aware of Canada's gun laws.

I suppose I could delete myself

baglo
Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Looks like a handy new feature to me David...thanks for posting. I just lay my "stuff" in the space between the bed and trailer wall...this will make things MUCH easier to find!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

They look like a good idea, thanks for posting the photos. I put up a couple magazine racks, one at the bed, the other at the dinette, but I could see this as good for the glasses, flashlights, etc. I want to be able to sleep at night, so there will be no firearm for me

David, you gotta know if you bring up gun toting, you will definitely get a response. Just as I would never mention how I use my Escape for drug running.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #9

Our dog Sammy is the firearm.. although if he hears and gunshots - he's outta there!!

But the cubbies are an excellent addition..makes me want to do something for our set-up.. BTW - first real trip is in a week or so.. can't wait!

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

I added several "pockets" in our Escape - this one holds the TV remote controllers.
I have a few larger ones attached to the cabinet panels - very handy for small
items like glasses, maps, gloves and flash lights.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Where do you get these "pockets"? Being oak colored, they look just like the paneling. Are they glued (taped) on? Looks nice.

First trip is this long weekend....Pocahontas State Park near Richmond. Gonna have some fun with the grandkids!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Dan, someone on here (sorry, I forget who) linked to THIS magazine rack. I bought and installed two. I was going to build something, and have a small shelf under, but for the price, these just could not be beat.

I also picked up one of THESE small shelves to hold remote, glasses and the like.

I really like the idea of building a cubbie like the one David posted a picture of, that hangs from the underside of the upper cabinets.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: HokieEscape...Enjoy the Grands @ Pocahontas St. Pk. We are expecting #2 Grand in Oct.
Our first trip is to Townsend Tenn. for a rally Apr 20-21. Gotta be home for work on the 24th. Might breeze thru Nashville on the way down.
I don't know if those "Cubbies" are enough to make me trade up Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: daveandsandyclink... We have the right to "bare arms". It's usually a spade fight at 20 paces in the garden. LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #15

And, I'm staying out of this cause I have no ammunition.

baglo
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #16

I posted the link to the magazine racks previously - the pockets I ordered at the same time from Camping World.
The pockets come with a self adhesive strip on the back but I thought that would give over time so instead, we fastened ours by drilling a small pilot hole in the edge then made a template to transfer the exact hole spacing onto the cabinet panels. We were then able to screw them from the inside of the cabinet out, using a washer on the inside to give the screw more surface stability.

The other small shelf with rails posted by Jim is similar to one that can be purchased at Ikea - I believe it's unfinished birch so the colouring works and if you pick through them, you can even make a grain match!
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #17

How do I put the Genie back in the bottle? I regret using the the word firearm. I am no gun nut. As a member of my local police force, my second love is serving my community and supporting law enforcement. I sometimes see the worst in people who are irresponsible or commit crimes against the innocent or defenseless. I respect the laws and customs of Canada as well as the US. And I am sure the good Lord, Canadian law enforcement, and my own common sense will protect us from any harm as we travel up to take delivery of our Escape. Despite what you have may have heard, most of us living in Texas do not carry pearl handled six shooters on horse back robbing trains and stagecoaches. I must admit our state pride and culture can sometimes be overbearing and threatening to others. Texas CHL license holders are tested on the range as well as in the classroom. It is a big responsibilty to accept. Most of the law enforcement I am around do not have a problem with CHL. They only want to know who is carring if stopped so they can secure their own personnal safety as well as the citizen involved. I hope somebody has our back in a situation involving a "rabid dog" that is shooting the restaurant up. I promise to never incite discussion on this subject again.

Instead I am here to learn and share information on what I am spending $30,000 Canadian dollars on and traveling 2400 miles one way to take delivery of. From what I have learned and seen so far, I have no doubt that Escape Industries will build us a great trailer. Their price reduction says volumes about their integrity and business. I seek to learn from those before me on how to make the month of July enjoyable and hassle free. I value my fiberglass family and consider time together as well spent.

FYI... I declined the cubbies and mud flaps on my 5.0 build.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #18

You don't need to put the genie back in the bottle.
I responded because I didn't want you or anybody else to have problems at the border.
I should have posted it under a new topic instead of hijacking the cubbie post.

And, Jeff and I discussed what we would do about inappropriate posts a long time ago. We agreed that if such posts were made that we would create a section called "inappropriate posts" and move the posts there.

That section still doesn't exist.

baglo

Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #19

We purchased the 2011 5.0 that Reace and Tammy were using for a display model. It came with the cubbies and they are very useful. If they weren't there I'd have had to come up with something to keep my glasses safe.

LBaranyai, did you make those pockets or were they a product you found somewhere?

Dave
Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #20

The "pockets" are available through Camping World.

www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/oak-remote-holder/32499

www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/oak-organizer/25761

www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/solid-wood-racks/4919

... By the way, the larger "pocket" can be mounted horizontally under the cabinets to make a "cubby" style shelf.
Attached Images