Custom options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensmurf View Post
Jim, as I'm new here, I was curious if there is an existing thread which collects ETI customizations that are not on the build sheet. If not, that would be a very useful tool for prospective owners to understand the entire scope of customization.

I don't think anyone needs to disclose how much certain features cost, since prices would fluctuate, but I'm curious to understand the breadth of options owners have added to their trailers.

I find searching for keywords on forums not very efficient, but a sticky topic would be wonderful.
You wouldn't want 99% of the customizations not on the list so you are not missing much. . These are often particular to that owner and nobody else.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
You wouldn't want 99% of the customizations not on the list so you are not missing much. . These are often particular to that owner and nobody else.
I would not say that, necessarily- that's too much of a blanket statement. Some of the off-list items I've added to our build sheet have been mentioned on this forum by multiple owners/buyers. YOU may not want them, but others have. Such as:

turning the stove top 90 degrees
filler boards if getting the u-shaped dinette
installing Horst probes for the tanks
reinforcing walls
toilet shut-off valve
installing customer provided kitchen sink and faucet
additional door on the platform bed (21' trailer)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I would not say that, necessarily- that's too much of a blanket statement. Some of the off-list items I've added to our build sheet have been mentioned on this forum by multiple owners/buyers. YOU may not want them, but others have. Such as:

turning the stove top 90 degrees
filler boards if getting the u-shaped dinette
installing Horst probes for the tanks
reinforcing walls
toilet shut-off valve
installing customer provided kitchen sink and faucet
additional door on the platform bed (21' trailer)
Totally agree with you! I've often wished there was a master list of 'unofficial' options too If I ever ordered another Escape it would be overwhelming trying to find all of the various 'tweaks' people have done. Other ideas that have come up in the various threads are:
custom shelving in the cupboard
raising the dinette
putting in extra lighting
changing location of outdoor shower
extra outlets, including 12 volt ones and USB ones
leaving out bathroom sink
putting in different window coverings
leaving out the stove overhead fan
specifying warm or cool LED

And the list goes on
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You've got a good start on that list.
Carry on.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #6

I wasn't being totally serious which is why I put the smiley face. Of course, quite a few people have some of those common items. I have mentioned most of what is on your list several times each so that people would know about those --- and I don't go by what I want but to tell them what is available that they might want.

There are, however, hundreds of other changes that people have come up with that only applied to them. That list above is short compared to what we have seen people do over the years. There are plenty of things you never hear about or maybe only once. And with good reason. People come up with all kinds of stuff. It is hardly to Escape's benefit to publicize hundreds of possibilities. They do a lot of changes already.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Even the short list Lorrie provided contains so many variables, dependent on the trailer and specific desires of the buyer as to be impossible to compile, never mind maintain.
"raising the dinette" how much? on which trailers? which dinette ( front or back? ), with which style of table leg or legs?
And then the wardrobe. Which trailer? How many shelves? Split with hanger on one side?
The list goes on and on.
I have no idea how ETI copes.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:17 AM   #8

I don't either. Reace is pretty easy going though, it seems. You point up the problems with much of it--- what exactly on what model, for any change, with so many variations possible.

Another obvious problem with a list is that, once something is on it, everyone can ask for it and expect it to be done. It is then an official item. Now, these things can be turned down if they choose to do so, any or all.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I believe that one of the best things a person can do is to decide what works best for them, and not go by what everyone else wants or does, and see what Escape could do with their desires.

As I have mentioned repeatedly, is that I just can't see how a list of every last customization people have had done by Escape could ever be compiled. Would it be a list of links to each members modifications, which are probably scattered in a few different threads, or should the site team copy all customizations to that thread? I think it would read worse than the most convoluted manual out there.

Basically, we pretty have what some are asking in the sub-forums under "Escape Tech". Folks can sift through that section to find ideas.

And likely the biggest pluses to this forum, is that you have a whole lot of members here more than willing to help new to be owners decide what modifications might work best for them on an individual basis. I think this is the key to getting the modifications that work best for these individuals, and by far the best resource on this forum.

I deal with similar situations with my company, doing custom renovations, in trying to help customers figure out everything they need in their project, and trust me, what is important to one, will not be to another. It is a matter of me throwing out ideas, ones I see that fit the situation and are often based on what others do, as well as the customers doing their own homework, reading magazines, and surfing the internet. I see the same thing in my customers that we see here. There are some that just love the excitement of the process, and others that do stress over having to make so many decisions.

And regardless, nobody will miss the things that are most important to them, and the rest of the mods are just fluff, and almost always have very little importance to the experience of using their Escape trailer. I know that a lot of the mods I will do myself, I do for the sheer fun of the planning and executing, they are not that important to the fun we can have.

Oh, and please excuse my ramblings. My morning brain works faster than my fingers can, and I am a very fast typer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think a good start is attending an Escape Rally where you can see the model trailer you want and see if there are any owner modifications completed. I got several ideas at Osoyoos for BlackJack....