Determining which Escape is right for you - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #41

Trailer: Looking
I currently own a teardrop trailer but I am thinking that I will eventually upgrade to a 'standee'. I have really enjoyed this thread with all the stories about how people made their decisions. I will be solo with a small dog. I really liked the 5.0 when I saw it last year but I keep going back and forth on keeping it small. I am going to two fiberglass gatherings where I hope to get a chance to step inside each size. I have already decided on the escape based on this forum and all the happy escape owners.

Thanks again.
Jfocallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #42

Trailer: maybe a 19
That's helpful. Thanks!
suzago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #43

Trailer: not yet
We visited Chilliwick last summer. I really thought we'd be comparing the 19 vs the 5.0. In my mind having the bed space totally separate as in the 5.0 would be really cool. Both had beds that were queen-ish sized.

Turns out we ended up liking the 21! Came away a bit confused, as the bed is a bit more narrow than either of the other trailers, but the crawl over factor came to light. Also in the 21 the inside was nice and roomy. Lots of trade-offs.

Now we're in the midst of a kitchen remodel, so we have a bit of a time out. Re-thinking our original thoughts...might need to see the 5.0 TA.

One thing we got sold on was the quality of the Escape trailers and the attentiveness of the folks running the place. The factory visit really brought that out.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Just thought I'd put my two cents in here on the beds. We have the same bed setup in our boat that we'll have in our 19'. After seven years, we have never had a problem rolling out of bed or one of us pulling up our legs to let the other one out. Last year, we were in a friend's boat where they had the bed setup like the 21' ... where you had to "scoot" down to the bottom of the bed to get out. We found the "scooting" much harder to deal with (for us at least) than the rolling. This is why viewing and testing each of the models really is important ... so each person can see what they're comfortable with.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape
15 is the only choice. Bigger than that and you aren't camping. Kids in a tent and inlaws in the tow vehicle.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Any towable is a PITA to hitchup in the rain and if you're hungry and tired, truly. But experience has allowed me to get it done fairly quickly on a bumper pull. I'm not expecting a 5er to be any more time consuming. In fact it should take less time, because of the electric landing gear in the front and I'm going to use a electric drill on the rear.
... and because a fifth-wheel doesn't need safety chains.

Quote:
Besides, who says you even need to completely unhitch (when setting up). Often I don't with my Scamp. Just release the ball and level. I don't pull out from under the ball unless I'm going to be at a site for several days and want the tug for traveling into town.
You won't be able to do that with the fifth-wheel - you will need to pull out to release the trailer to move vertically. Of course, if you pull straight out a short distance, and don't move the truck until you hook up to leave, it should be trivial to line up for hitching (just go straight back). I suppose if you go a really short distance (like one foot) you might be able to leave the electrical cable and breakaway cable connected, as I assume you do with the Scamp.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #47

Trailer: not yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
15 is the only choice. Bigger than that and you aren't camping. Kids in a tent and inlaws in the tow vehicle.

You know, this is one thought we had after we saw all of them. Our original idea, way back, was to get a small camper....how'd we end up drooling over the 21 anyway?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just happens to be a 2010 15' on Escape Industries site.
You could have your trailer for spring, and money left over.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #49

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think you'll appreciate the four-seat dinette in the 19. When we travel with friends with their 19' we always end up in their trailer for cards or dinner. In my 17' we'd have to re-make the bed into a dinette to accommodate four.
The 19' is also wider making it easier by four inches to pass one another in the kitchen area.
But, I'm not trading in my 17'. That would require a new tow vehicle and maintenance for tire replacement, bearings, brakes etc. would double.
I wanted a 17 and not a 19 because it would fit in our garage. It would require less fuel due it being lighter and pushing less air. As you point out it would also cost less in maintenance. Once my wife saw the permanent queen bed it was over. We like our 19. However parking it on our steep driveway (sloped down and to the right) requires
a skill that I may not have forever. Parked in the garage would be so much better. We may have to trade with you some day.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yes. You have to stay on good terms with your neighbours. In NV, trailers have to be in the back yard or inside a building in winter. I have no access to my back yard and no garage, so it sits in the driveway. As long as no neighbour (within 300 metres of my house) complains to bylaws, I'm OK. No problem so far.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... and because a fifth-wheel doesn't need safety chains.

You won't be able to do that with the fifth-wheel - you will need to pull out to release the trailer to move vertically. Of course, if you pull straight out a short distance, and don't move the truck until you hook up to leave, it should be trivial to line up for hitching (just go straight back). I suppose if you go a really short distance (like one foot) you might be able to leave the electrical cable and breakaway cable connected, as I assume you do with the Scamp.
No, on the Scamp I disconnect everything. I just don't move the truck. In fact, it tows so level, even when disconnected it doesn't come off the ball unless I raise the tongue enough to slip the truck away. Then I have to lower the tongue to get back to level.

So, on a 5er, the hitch can't be released and the trailer raised without moving the truck? Interesting...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yes. ... In NV, trailers have to be in the back yard or inside a building in winter...
You fooled me there for a minute. Thought you were equating NV with "Nevada", but it appears you meant "North Vancouver".

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #53

Quote:
So, on a 5er, the hitch can't be released and the trailer raised without moving the truck? Interesting...
Generally, no.

The pin shape is such that it can come out of the hole in the hitch plate, but the latching jaw design may not permit this even when fully opened (depending on hitch model), and it definitely is not the way these hitches are intended to work.

If the latch allows it and you lift the trailer out, it may be difficult to get back in because the hole and pin are not tapered to make this easy (in contrast to putting the bell-shaped coupler on a round ball), and because the hitch plate tilts.

You could always just lift the truck as required for leveling with the trailer jacks... no, kidding. : But seriously, with air springs in the truck you could level with those instead of trailer jacks on quick stops, and not unhook anything at all.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #54

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have used the air bags and on board compressor to level the trailer for a quick over night stop. Or at least to get it close enough. I rarely un hook anything if we are just stopping to
Sleep . If its raining out I have just done it in the morning
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Generally, no.

The pin shape is such that it can come out of the hole in the hitch plate, but the latching jaw design may not permit this even when fully opened (depending on hitch model), and it definitely is not the way these hitches are intended to work.

If the latch allows it and you lift the trailer out, it may be difficult to get back in because the hole and pin are not tapered to make this easy (in contrast to putting the bell-shaped coupler on a round ball), and because the hitch plate tilts.
Groan, I have so much to learn...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #56

Quote:
Groan, I have so much to learn...
On the other hand, if you don't worry about the "why", the "what" is straightforward: trailer level with hitch, back in to hitch, pull forward to unhitch... fundamentally simple.