Determining which Escape is right for you - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I've really enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread. We've decided on the 17b (due Oct 2014). We've made two trips to the Escape facilities to kick tires. we were enticed by the 19' and vacillated back and forth between the 17b and 19. Tammy (Escape) mentioned that many of the options we will likely end up putting into the 17b' are included in the 19. The 19' was very attractive but we decided to avoid one footitis and stick to our original vision.

We are preparing for retirement and the two of us want to travel Canada and US without having to motel every night. The 17b just seems to be a smaller easier tow. Especially when our original musings had us trying to be minimalistic (tenting to a small little teardrop). Since we are new to towing the 17b just seems like a more viable option for long distance travel.

While I have had a few second thoughts we are content and want to set up the 17b so we can boondock at smaller locations as well as use the full-service RV sites.

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 15A
Great to hear your story LarryandLiz. It is so easy to get caught up in the gains attained by going up in size while you give up some of the benefits of a smaller trailer. I am sure you will have many great times with your 17B. Your recollection of all the great times you had with a tent no doubt kept you on track with arriving at your decision.

Besides, you can always upgrade in a few years should you decide that you really need the extra space of a 19 without loosing on your original investment because of the way Escape Trailers keep their value.

I am sure you will have the best of times as you venture out camping in the luxury of your new 17B. To me camping means being out enjoying all that nature provides not inside a big RV in a paved parking lot (to borrow on a quote from Joni Mitchell). Enjoy camping while you have the health and desire to get out there in natures paradise.

JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #33

Trailer: maybe a 19
Hi All, I am still in the dreaming stage, but after a tough day at work today, I'm in the mood to move as fast as I can on making that dream come true! I am leaning towards the 19 over the 17, but would love to know about the storage capacity in each. I'm planning on "3/4 timing" with a late fall through Jan layover but the rest of the time on the road. I'll be solo, accompanied by my trusty Beagle mix. Thanks for any and all advice!
suzago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Hi suzago,
Welcome to the forum
I always thought our 17B was palatial when I used it on my own. There's enough storage space to get it really heavy.
We are going to the 21 for the additional indoor space for the two (uh, four) of us in colder weather.
Try to get inside one of each before you decide.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh man, decision and choices. I agree with Paul. See each model and do sit and lay test. I'm going with 4ft-itis. Going from a 16 Scamp to a new Escape 5er... and I'm a single traveler. Just shows, there is no "one-size-fits-all."

Best of luck with your decision!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #36

Thanks for the reply, Paul. Wow - palatial? That puts the 17 in a new light! I'll be doing lots of freelance writing work, so I'll need room for a printer, files, computer, etc. I'm thinking the dinette in the 19 is better for doing "desk" work at, but what do I know... I'm only looking at these trailers on the computer. I'd better see if I can figure out how to look at one in person.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #37

HI Donna, I started out wanting a 5er but I got talked out of it by enough people who said it was a real pain in the rear to hitch and unhitch on your own, in the rain, when you're hungry and tired... How did you ignore all those voices?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Ah, the 19 defiantly has a better desk
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I think you'll appreciate the four-seat dinette in the 19. When we travel with friends with their 19' we always end up in their trailer for cards or dinner. In my 17' we'd have to re-make the bed into a dinette to accommodate four.
The 19' is also wider making it easier by four inches to pass one another in the kitchen area.
But, I'm not trading in my 17'. That would require a new tow vehicle and maintenance for tire replacement, bearings, brakes etc. would double.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzago View Post
HI Donna, I started out wanting a 5er but I got talked out of it by enough people who said it was a real pain in the rear to hitch and unhitch on your own, in the rain, when you're hungry and tired... How did you ignore all those voices?
Any towable is a PITA to hitchup in the rain and if you're hungry and tired, truly. But experience has allowed me to get it done fairly quickly on a bumper pull. I'm not expecting a 5er to be any more time consuming. In fact it should take less time, because of the electric landing gear in the front and I'm going to use a electric drill on the rear. Besides, who says you even need to completely unhitch (when setting up). Often I don't with my Scamp. Just release the ball and level. I don't pull out from under the ball unless I'm going to be at a site for several days and want the tug for traveling into town. Otherwise, I'm out on foot or my bicycle.

It will be well worth any hassle because I'm getting the layout I want. YMMV And don't listen to those "others." Just listen to your own heart/head.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote