Determining which Escape is right for you - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Determining which Escape is right for you

To some, this will seem like a lengthy statement of the obvious, but our experience might be instructive for a few prospective Escape buyers, especially those who live a long distance from Chilliwack.

Four years ago, my wife and I had viewed a 17-foot and a 19-foot Escape, and finally ordered a 19er by phone last September for completion in May. We were aware of the recent introduction of the Escape 21, but from the factory website specificatons and the talk on this forum we assumed it wouldn't offer us much advantage over the 19er. As so often happens with assumptions supported by insufficient data, we were wrong.

Fortunately, we happened to be near Chilliwack two weeks ago and decided to visit the factory to finalize our 19er build list. While my wife and Kim from Escape were chatting in the model 19er on the lot, I casually peeked into the 21er parked next to it.

I saw right away that the few potential limitations of the 19er (for our needs, at least) had been solved in the design and dimensions of the 21er. I nonchalantly asked my wife to have a look inside the 21 and she immediately came to the same conclusion. (Others who have been married for a few decades will realize what a rare and pleasant occurrence such synchronicity can be).

After a reassuring talk with Reace about the relative ease of towing a 19er vs. a 21er with our TV, we changed our order.

The total cost increase for a trailer that will meet our needs better was $1115 CAD, tax included. The only negative about changing models is that we don't get the 21er until September.

We offer three conclusions:
1. The Escape 19 and 21 are both excellent designs, and buyers can't go far wrong by choosing either;
2. The flexibility, patience, and customer-driven service ethic of the Escape owners and staff are remarkable, and much appreciated;
3. Prospective Escape buyers, especially those new to camping, as we are, will accelerate and bring certainty to their decision-making by viewing various models in person, either at the factory or an Escape rally, or by using this forum and the Escape staff to find owners living near them who are willing to show their trailers.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice write-up and totally agree with your thoughts. Especially item three. What astounds me, is folks that are not wanting to give up a crawl over bed (19') for the 21' because of the bed size. The difference in width between a queen and a double bed is the width of a dollar bill... between a queen and a king is huge! The older I get, the more often I get out of bed at night, not less. I believe undisturbed sleep is very important.

Best of luck creating a NEW build sheet! 8)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21
True story about seeing Escapes in person! Before we ordered our 21, we saw a 19 in person--and today we willl travel about 2 1/2 hours to see a 21 in person! Woo hoo! We have been planning and planning, so it will be so great to see a 21 today!

Congrats on your change to a 21--the planning and anticipation is great fun!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
Heavy sigh.... It was enough to consider the 19' over the 17'. I have yet to see any in person. My short wheel base TV leads me to think 21' is too long. This forum is great, but right now it's killing me! Somebody please erasure me as to how great my 19' will be!
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
Heavy sigh.... It was enough to consider the 19' over the 17'. I have yet to see any in person. My short wheel base TV leads me to think 21' is too long. This forum is great, but right now it's killing me! Somebody please erasure me as to how great my 19' will be!
It will be perfect! Yes it will and you'll make just as many great memories as anyone else with any other size of Escape. You go girl!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I sent you a p/m, having had both models I may be able to alleviate some of your concerns, give me a holler….
Old 02-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Don't let buyers remorse creep in. You will love your 19! The 21 wasn't even born yet when we ordered our 19 last year but I think we still would have gone with the 19. If anything we still think the 15 would have worked for us. We like having the bed on the other end away from the door. I can get up early, make coffee and let the dogs out without disturbing my wife as much. We also find that the table near the door is a nice staging area for cooking outside which we do most of the time.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The difference in width between a queen and a double bed is the width of a dollar bill...
I believe it's the length of a dollars bill not the width. After 35 years sleeping in the same bed together that can be a lot but who's measuring.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Bigger is not necessarily better, as it all depends on camping style, personal preferences, what type of tow vehicle you have (or want to have), etc. We tow with a Tacoma and could easily tow one of the larger Escapes, but find that our 17 meets our needs perfectly right now. Might we want a larger one sometime in the future.. who knows? There are lots of us who love our 17's, lots of others who love their 15's, and many who love their no longer made 13's.

But regardless of size, one of the many benefits of an Escape is the way they hold their value, so that if things ever do change it is relatively easy to sell one to move to another....right Jim?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post

I believe it's the length of a dollars bill not the width. After 35 years sleeping in the same bed together that can be a lot but who's measuring.
It's only six inches, my hand is bigger....
Old 02-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Sorry, FishBioGirl, if my post got you rethinking your decision to get a 19er. That certainly wasn't the intent.

Although some specific needs drove our decision to switch to a 21er, we know we could also be happy with a 19er. We are not towing with a pickup truck, either, and there could be moments on the road when we wish we had a smaller, lighter 19er behind us.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Everyone has a personal list of wishes and needs for the way they wish to RV camp, and no two are exactly the same.

For me, the trailer I have is secondary to where I wish to go, and what I wish to do. But of course, I do want to choose the best for me when I do purchase, but will still have fun regardless of what this choice is.

Heck, the 19 was not even in production yet when I put down my deposit, but really like what it had to offer. To me it was a luxury way to go, and I still believe so, and we are very happy with it. Would we ever buy something else into the future? We most certainly would consider it, especially upon retirement.

While I think the 21 is a well planned trailer, for us it just doesn't fit our style as good as the 19. Our trailer is primarily a place to sleep, secondly is a great place to store things, and thirdly a place to hang out, as we much prefer to be outdoors. This is why I love having the bed away from the entry. Yes, you have to step over your partner to get out if you are at the back, but we have no problem with doing that. If I was buying now, and choosing between the 19 and 21, I would buy the 19 again.

Now, the idea of the new 5.0TA, with the bed separated from the living area, does draw my eye a lot. The only negative at all I can see with it, is having to give up my SUV, and the storage it provides inside it.

But, our 19 has served us well for 5 years now, and will most likely do so for at least another 5, and who knows, maybe even well beyond.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #13

Trailer: none
Quote:
You can come see my 19' any weekend.

Then you can see Jim's 21 on another weekend.

We got you covered!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #14

Thank you for the reassurance! The process of creating a build sheet is exciting and stressful at the same time! Organizing ideas on Pinterest now if anyone wants to add their 2 cents!
Escape Trailer
Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Thank you for the reassurance! The process of creating a build sheet is exciting and stressful at the same time! Organizing ideas on Pinterest now if anyone wants to add their 2 cents!
Escape Trailer
this is really a neat idea
Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
It will be wonderful! My spouse and I saw the 21 at the Oregon Gathering last summer and I had been convinced we would want the 21 over the 19. I had even talked with ETI about the 21 and got a preliminary quote. However, after looking at the 21 we both (independently) concluded the 21 was too big for us. At this point in our lives (I'm still working) and for the type of camping we do (lots of long weekends and longer trips in the summer and on my winter break) the 19 is perfect! Now, once I retire and we can take off for months at a time we might change our minds, but I'm not even convinced of that.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #17

Great idea to plan your trailer build list and extras with Pinterest, FishBioGirl!

May we follow your board? We will also start our own, which anyone is welcome to follow. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #18

Brent & Cheryl -

Please follow my board! Feel free to add things/ideas that have worked well for you too!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The campfire in a can is a great idea. We have another brand but it was really nice to use on our fall trip through the Canadian Rockies last year. We were often busy during the day so being able to sit in the evening for awhile or have a short fire early in the morning was very nice. We also use it when we are home on our patio.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #20

Trailer: None
I also have a Pinterest board which is full of pins for RVs: RV Ideas. Many useful for Escapes.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote