Did anyone just get the "Base Priced" model? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Honda TRX 300
Did anyone just get the "Base Priced" model?

I would like to talk about this base model with just minimal options / upgrades from the build sheet. It is wonderful to have
the upgrades however, it seems great to get into a unit at the
base price....and then if you did, would you constantly wish you
had included other stuff?

thanks in advance for your insight
1vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This forum didn't exist when I ordered my trailer. The list of options was shorter and I was unaware of the custom work that ETI would do. I just wanted to get my deposit in so I would get my trailer in time for summer camping.
The only thing I can think of that I might do different is buy surge protection, and I would have gone with a two-burner stove..and a 19' trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Bill of sale.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You bring up a good point that the base model offers a lot, more than enough to head out and enjoy yourself while making great memories.

I really doubt though that anybody does not include at least a few options. Many of them are decided for regional conditions like weather, and others for end use like boondocking.

It would be a rare customer, that despite thinking out their options before ordering, never said that they now wished for one more thing, OR that they realize they ordered something they may never take full advantage of.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This forum didn't exist when I ordered my trailer. The list of options was shorter and I was unaware of the custom work that ETI would do. I just wanted to get my deposit in so I would get my trailer in time for summer camping.
The only thing I can think of that I might do different is buy surge protection, and I would have gone with a two-burner stove..and a 19' trailer.
You had to wait over six weeks from the time you ordered, until you got it. For shame.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Honda TRX 300
Thank you. That is exactly the type of discussion I was wanting to read. The order window for 2017 rapidly approacheth and decisions need to be made.
1vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
xyz

Trailer: nunya
At the campground I'm currently staying at, the plan was to use full hookups the entire time (and for everywhere we stay). However, someone ran over one of the power boxes near our site, so the maintenance people had to shut of the power to all sites for about 4 hours. I simply turned on the inverter, and it was so sunny outside that the batteries lost nearly nothing during that time frame, and the trailer still had 110 AC.

That's definitely one of those scenarios that you might not think of when planning your trips (and filling out your build sheet), but for my wife and me, since we both work remotely, having power is a necessity, and it was awesome to be able to turn on the inverter when campground power disappeared. Just a small example of a rare occurrence that might make you wish you had an extra option, but might not be a big deal to some.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcnomad
Options, options everywhere. Well not on my factory demo trailer. My first plan was to purchase new, so I made three lists -- what options needed to be factory done at build, what I needed, and what I wanted. By the time the demo became available, I was pretty clear on those three lists. As it turned out, this trailer has a light options list, but also hit most of my needed at build list. Yay!! I got the AC (needed) and none of my wants (solar, custom fabric inverter etc etc). And you know what? 30 days in and this lightly loaded trailer is doing A-OK for me and my camping/RVing camping style. Its a big YMMV, but if you have read this far, all I mean is don't be afraid to prune your too large option list down.
Still stand by this. It very much depends on how much/where you use the trailer though. Its a decision on getting the stuff that is best done at build (windows/insulation) and realizing that most options can be added later. Or the next trailer....
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have never regretted ordering an option that I never used but sure have over an option that I didn't order. And most of the time it is to expensive or difficult to add it later. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Our 19 is pretty base. The only option of any consequence was the dual pane windows and that's one option I wouldn't go without.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
years ago, when buying my first computer - one thing I learned (or tried to learn) - was my techy friend who asked me to think about what I wanted to use the computer for - then base what I was buying upon my future use rather then 'bells and whistles'

applying this to buying a trailer can be difficult since you don't know if your trailering horizons will expand as you become more experienced and brave. For example: now that I have started to read about forestry road sites (there are a great many in BC) I wonder if I should have had the trailer clearance raised.

In terms of options and being upset about missing out on the latest and greatest - I remember this story from 'the wealthy barber' book (a Cnd financial advisers book). The author wrote about one of his wealthy friends being all upset that his very expensive and fine new car didn't have a heated steering wheel (this was when the 'heated steering wheel' option was quite new). The moral - get a grip and some perspective on what is important.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Base price model

While we are fortunate to have purchased a very nice used 19 that has a lot of options, I can see what you're driving at. In fact, there were a few things our 19 did not have whichwe thought we'd like, after using it for 2 seasons. So, we took it back to Escape after the rally last year and had them install. We got dual six volt batteries, solar and surge protection. This year we may get a couple more things, kind of a custom, pay as you go mentality. I can't say enough good about the fine folks at Escape and their willingness to accommodate. Your plan makes sense on most options, you'll need to make sure to plan ahead if the trailer needs prepped during the initial build. Like beefed up for AC.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The list of options was shorter...
Apparently the standard feature list was shorter, too... the MaxxFan is standard equipment now. Also, the shower package option makes a 17A into a 17B, so that isn't really an optional add-on (it's a model change). The weight-distributing hitch doesn't need to come from Escape. The result is that this trailer has even fewer options than it appears at first glance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The only thing missing on a basic setup that would keep me from buying one is air conditioning.

Solar, the twin 6's, and dual pane windows are the next most important mods/options for us. Everything else is fluff, but good fluff.