diesel - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #111

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Hi guys,

to add some more fuel to the discussion......

Last friday we picked up our new TV, the 2014 ISUZU 2.5L (4 cyl) Diesel Twin Turbo, about 160 HP

We took it out for a ride this weekend and found it burns diesel at about 9-10 KM's per liter, that is about 36-40 Miles per Gallon at 120KmH or 74MpH which is the standard max speed in our country. The truck has about 400Nm of torque.

We did do some towing but did not pay any attention to the fuel consumption then, too busy paying attention to the road, rig etc, you know, sweaty hands and so.

When we hit the road for vacation i will pay attention to that detail and keep you posted.

I'm quite happy, since diesel is cheaper then gasoline over here i'm very happy.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne

Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #112

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Last friday we picked up our new TV, the 2014 ISUZU 2.5L (4 cyl) Diesel Twin Turbo, about 160 HP
... it burns diesel at about 9-10 KM's per liter, that is about 36-40 Miles per Gallon at 120KmH or 74MpH ...
In the units used in Canada, this is 10 to 11 L/100 km (at 120 km/h). I think it's interesting that this is a about the same as our Toyota Sienna van (with a 3.3 L gas engine, 230 hp).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 AM   #113

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Seef, if diesel were cheaper here than gasoline, a diesel vehicle would be much more attractive, even with the higher up front cost. Here in south Texas, diesel is currently about 50¢ higher per gallon than gasoline, and I've seen it as much as a dollar higher in some places. I have yet to hear a satisfactory reason why.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I assume that this is intended to mean the fuel price per volume; the total fuel cost should be less with diesel, but not as much less as it would be if the price per volume were the same. The article mentions 6 pence per litre; that's about 38 cents (US) per US gallon, or 11 cents (Can) per litre... so yes, the analysis seems applicable here in that respect. On the other hand, even if the two fuels were identically priced, there would still be a break-even point, and the higher the fuel price the quicker the payback. With relatively cheaper fuel here, payback will take even longer.

The article says that the break-even point is 10,000 miles per year. I think that the average use in North America is comfortably higher than that - 12,000 miles or 20,000 kilometres per year are typical assumptions. On the other hand, if we're talking about a vehicle used primarily as a trailer tug, use might be lower.

If anyone is trying to put the British models in perspective, the Fiesta is the same car sold here (but the examples use smaller engines), the Sharan is not sold in North America (it's a tall wagon, vaguely like a Dodge Journey), the BMW 5-series is again the same car sold here with different engine options, and the Astra is the current version of the car of the same name sold here by Saturn until a few years ago.
Correct, I meant price per unit (gallon in my case). And yes, I would tend to agree that the British numbers are better than what we could expect in the US, with diesel fuel being so much higher than gas, and the even higher premium charged for diesel vehicles.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #115

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Hey,

Something to consider on the newer diesels as far as cost is the urea-based system injection systems that stuff is pricey.

CYpher
Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #116
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Yes, it is what I throw away every day from my cat litter box!! I just read the diesel supplement manual to the Ram Eco Diesel, there are several additional items one has to be aware of, water in the fuel and special filter, plug in heat for winter cold, having to let the unit run before shutting down, particularly after towing, up to 5 minutes to cool down the the turbo, and the oil changes and so on. I'm now thinking the ecoboost maybe a better option, particularly for 2015 when ford is using aluminum to shave off 700 pounds. The smaller 2.7 is projected to reach 30 mpg unhitched.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #117

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Yeah Jim most of those other items you mention eexcept the fuel filter will still let the vehicle run correctly. As I understand it if you run out of the urea the vehicle will go into limp home mode max speed of 30 mph vehicle dependent of course.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, it is what I throw away every day from my cat litter box!! I just read the diesel supplement manual to the Ram Eco Diesel, there are several additional items one has to be aware of, water in the fuel and special filter, plug in heat for winter cold, having to let the unit run before shutting down, particularly after towing, up to 5 minutes to cool down the the turbo, and the oil changes and so on. I'm now thinking the ecoboost maybe a better option, particularly for 2015 when ford is using aluminum to shave off 700 pounds. The smaller 2.7 is projected to reach 30 mpg unhitched.
Yeah, if the Ecoboost approaches anywhere near the mileage of the diesel, then I think the gas engine is the better choice. If we were towing a 5000lb+ trailer then no.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #119

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
It's a tough one to answer . Our trailers don't need the torque that the bigger trailers do. That's IMHO one of the nice things about these trailers, you don't have to drive a 1 ton dual rear wheeled truck to work everyday just to tow your trailer in the summer.
I know that here in Alberta a synthetic oil change and fuel filter at the dealer will run close to $300.00 . That does buy a lot of gas. Especially if the mileage is
Close.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #120

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, if the Ecoboost approaches anywhere near the mileage of the diesel, then I think the gas engine is the better choice. If we were towing a 5000lb+ trailer then no.
My friend pulls a 24' Lance with his and he says it does fine. Not sure how heavy it is, but it has to be up in the 4000-5000 LB range.

Reace says he tows his Toy Hauler with his and he says it hangs with the diesels.

Supposedly, with the right tow package, the Ecoboost F150 can tow 11,300. Mine is only rated at 8500.

Personally, if I had a 8,000-10,000 lb trailer, I think I'd go Super Duty and diesel.

DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote