diesel - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #131
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I often wondered if one uses their transmission to downshift to help slow down long hills, does the increase engine rpms indicate additional gas is also being used?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #132

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
According to my Scanguage & my RAV4, no. Going down a steep hill in 4th or 3rd both show 9999 MPG. Don't know about other vehicles.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #133

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I often wondered if one uses their transmission to downshift to help slow down long hills, does the increase engine rpms indicate additional gas is also being used?
If you have a carburetor (meaning you drive a very old or custom vehicle), or if your fuel injection system does not shut off fuel flow during engine braking (a feature called Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off or DFCO), you will use more fuel due to the higher engine speed... but not a lot. Remember that the throttle is fully closed, so as little air (and therefore fuel) as possible is passing through the engine for each engine revolution.

My Toyota van uses zero fuel in this situation (it has DFCO). Although I never towed with my Ford Focus, I noticed that it kept injecting fuel while engine braking, instead of shutting it off entirely; this made me less enthusiastic about engine braking, but I still used it as appropriate to avoid overheating brakes on long descents. My current Mazda3 also keeps injecting fuel (which surprises me), and I do use engine braking in rare circumstances.

A diesel should inject no fuel when not applying any power, because it doesn't need to keep a constant air/fuel ratio. Unless there is some unfortunate minimum fuel delivery feature, a diesel will consume no fuel during engine braking when the driver's foot is entirely off of the accelerator, regardless of how high the engine speed goes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
According to my Scanguage & my RAV4, no. Going down a steep hill in 4th or 3rd both show 9999 MPG. Don't know about other vehicles.
Like my Sienna (perhaps no surprise there) the fuel flow is cut off entirely if the wheels are driving the engine. I like the litres per 100 kilometres mode of the display: in this case, it shows zero.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #135

Trailer: 5.0TA Nov '14
For those that may be thinking that the Dodge Ram 1500 EcoDiesel may be for them... I just had a B&W Turnoverball hitch put into mine last friday and will put B&W's Campanion in the bed to pull the 5.0TA...I think a lot of the installers say it can't be done because it's a very complicated space to put in a hitch and the fellow who did mine did have one tough job...it took him almost 4 hours to finish. I do have air suspension and it's really one great truck. I'll be picking up a 5.0 TA in late November.
jhardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #136

I noticed today that Trailer Life magazine's August/September issue has a test of the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Non-towing fuel economy was 22 mpg (US), and while that wasn't really impressive to start with, it dropped to 12.6 mpg with a trailer not much bigger (but much boxier) than an Escape 21'. They did like driving with the diesel.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #137

Trailer: 5.0TA Nov '14
I've only used one tank of diesel and driven 640 or so miles and the on board computer indicated 27.3 mpg average but the Gas Cubby app said 25.2mpg at fill up. All non-towing and relatively flat driving.

jhardie is offline   Reply With Quote