diesel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
diesel

We owned a 2007 Jeep GC diesel and it towed extremely well. Unfortunately, we got a lemon and it broke down twice, once in the middle of northern BC taking 7 days to repair while on holidays. It was only 2 years old and other things were starting go wrong. I miss the torque of the diesel but can't see myself buying another until the reliability is proven. Too bad Toyota doesn't come out with a small diesel for their their current line of SUV's or small pickup in North America.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
The big 3 won't allow it . If they did they would never sell another truck , ... ever .
Old 08-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Maybe Toyota is concentrating on the world market. Think how many trucks they sell in Syria, Gaza, Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria. Hundreds of low mileage vehicles that need to be replaced after every skirmish.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Maybe Toyota is concentrating on the world market. Think how many trucks they sell in Syria, Gaza, Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria. Hundreds of low mileage vehicles that need to be replaced after every skirmish.
Maybe one like this?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
The big 3 won't allow it . If they did they would never sell another truck , ... ever .
I'm not a Toyota fan, sorry... I just wish Ford would follow the diesel movement as Dodge has done.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I hope that gm has sucsess with the diesel canyon/colarado and will jump in with a 1/2 ton diesel. There are rumors, but only rumors of them playing around with the diesel project that they scrapped a couple of years ago.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
We owned a 2007 Jeep GC diesel and it towed extremely well. Unfortunately, we got a lemon and it broke down twice, once in the middle of northern BC taking 7 days to repair while on holidays. It was only 2 years old and other things were starting go wrong. I miss the torque of the diesel but can't see myself buying another until the reliability is proven. Too bad Toyota doesn't come out with a small diesel for their their current line of SUV's or small pickup in North America.
I'm pretty sure Toyota sells Tacomas overseas with diesels. I've bugged my favorite Toyota salesman for years about when Toyota is going to bring them here. He says he doubts that they ever will as they are going other routes with hybrid and turbo as possibilities and aren't really investing in diesel.

Ok - that is way of topic - sorry

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Toyota Diesel

Regarding Toyota diesels… met these Austrian folks in Ventura, CA last April. They picked it up in Saudia Arabia, drove it back to Europe, shipped it to Canada, drove across Canada and up to Alaska before parking it last year in Vegas. They had just picked it up. We told them we were going to Texas and they told us they were going to Chile! You can see the snorkel, extra tires, solar system and how the back end was modified with a fiberglass shell and pop top. We have been keeping a photographic record of unusual rigs we have run into on our travels. There are a large number of folks shipping their rigs to Canada and the U.S. to travel for extended periods of time. To a rig… they have all been diesels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2597.jpg   IMG_2599.jpg   IMG_2600.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I think this thread has gone sideways
Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I think this thread has gone sideways
Hmmm... Think I can justify my post as these folks were truly traveling with full tanks.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Hmmm... Think I can justify my post as these folks were truly traveling with full tanks.
People have often said I am not travelling with a full tank (or something like that).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I'm pretty sure Toyota sells Tacomas overseas with diesels. I've bugged my favorite Toyota salesman for years about when Toyota is going to bring them here. He says he doubts that they ever will as they are going other routes with hybrid and turbo as possibilities and aren't really investing in diesel.

Ok - that is way of topic - sorry
I'm pretty sure the Tacoma is about the same model/size as the HiLux which is sold in Europe. I can speak for the Netherlands, they only sell diesel HiLux vehicles over here, i'm tend to believe it's the same in Germany, Belgium and more or less overall in Europe. The engine of choice for a HiLux is a diesel.

And they are pretty good, was our first TV choice.

Too bad the sales guy didn't answer any calls, didn't make a proposal so we end up buying a ISUZU, great truck and equally indestructible as the HiLux.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I just wish Ford would follow the diesel movement as Dodge has done.
Well, they sort of have. I held off as long as possible buying my Ford Ranger hoping that they would start selling the new diesel Ford Ranger in NA.

It was especially frustrating to be in NZ last fall and see one I'm thinking I might end up going the Dodge route at some point.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't see how the "Big Three" (GM, Ford, and Chrysler) have any say in what Toyota (or anyone else) sells in any particular market.

Yes, Toyota - like everyone else - sells their small trucks with diesels in almost every market worldwide. As Seef mentioned, in some they sell only diesel (I recently noticed this is true for the Hi Lux in Germany). They certainly could sell diesel trucks here if they chose to do so.

The diesel engine currently used in the Ram 1500 (and Grand Cherokee) is made by VM Motori in Italy, the diesel in the Ram ProMaster van is another (different) engine from the same source, the diesel in the upcoming Ford Transit van is the same one used in the Transit van and Ranger pickup worldwide, and the coming (for 2016 model year) diesel for the GM Colorado/Canyon is the one from the corresponding worldwide version. Any manufacturer can take an appropriate version of their engines from other markets (presumably one meeting the most stringent Euro emissions standards), certify it for the U.S. (and hopefully Canada), and sell it on this side of the oceans.

I noticed that Nissan is making publicity noise about their Frontier Diesel Runner pickup project with a small Cummins diesel engine... even though they have a different diesel in this truck in other countries, so they don't need the Cummins.

It's all about marketing and local economic and commercial issues. It will be interesting to see if, after all the hype, consumers actually buy these diesel vehicles as they become available. Most VW buyers don't choose the diesel in their cars, few Cherokee / Liberty / Grand Cherokee buyers have gone for the diesels that have been available in those vehicles, and I have heard that initial ProMaster sales are almost entirely of the gas engine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well, they sort of have. I held off as long as possible buying my Ford Ranger hoping that they would start selling the new diesel Ford Ranger in NA.
When the new Ranger first came out a couple years ago, with the two diesel and on gas engine offerings, I read an interview with some bigwig at Ford, who said it would not be coming to North America at all, as with the Ranger being upsized a bit, nearing the size of the F-150 which is a bit smaller than it once was, that they would be directly competing with themselves. Something they did not want to do. The F-150, he said, was not offered in most of the countries that the new Ranger was being released in.

When I first saw this truck offered, I too was really keen on the idea, only to have any dreams dashed by the folks at Ford.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I am waiting for the new Colorado, but unfortunately, the diesel engine will not be available until 2015.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #17

It is true Brian that the North American market hasn't traditionally embraced diesel in anything other than bigger trucks. That said it does feel to me like there is begining to be a shift in that, the Dodge 1/2 diesels are selling well. I was told by one of the long tern sales staff that I work with that he has had people at least asking about the diesel in the Caynon/Colarado that isn't even here yet. I also agree that Toyota would not care about anything other than if something is profitable,I can't image it has anthing to do with the big three.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
It is true Brian that the North American market hasn't traditionally embraced diesel in anything other than bigger trucks. .
Except the VW market. TDI seems very popular. At least in BC.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #19

True in some areas, I think it may vary by region a bit though
Old 08-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Audi and Mercedes along with a growing trend of used Japanese 4x4 imports also are big on diesel, at least here in BC.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote