Digital thermostat - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #141

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
I'm curious on the benefit of the digital thermostat, is it easier to set a certain temperature? What I did with the standard thermostat is turn it on full blast until the temperature got to where I wanted and then turned down the thermostat slowly until I heard it click off. Then it would cycle on and off and it held that temperature.
The original thermostat on/off switch was always a problem. It was so stiff to operate that there was always the fear you would break off the lever before you got it on or off. And the stiffness also made it a it hard on your fingertips (painful) to do the on/off switch. That and the easier and more accurate setting are the benefits from our point of view. Oh, and it lights up when you operate it...in the 5.0 Classic, it is in the loft at the foot of the bed and there is not much light there unless you climb into the bed and turn on one of the lights near the head of the bed....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #142

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reace modified those on/off switches on a bunch of trailers at the rally a couple years ago. Took him a couple minutes with a pen knife. I wasn't watching closely so I wouldn't want to advise how.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #143

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
What I did with the standard thermostat is turn it on full blast until the temperature got to where I wanted and then turned down the thermostat slowly until I heard it click off. Then it would cycle on and off and it held that temperature.
Basic furnaces (including both original and current models used in Escapes) are just on-off, so it doesn't matter how high you set it - it won't blast at any higher rate of heat output. Since they may not be calibrated accurately, I agree that sometimes it makes sense to just set it high and turn it to the shutoff point that way.

Once the temperature hits the setpoint, the furnace will cycle on and off, regardless of the thermostat type.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #144

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Basic furnaces (including both original and current models used in Escapes) are just on-off, so it doesn't matter how high you set it - it won't blast at any higher rate of heat output. Since they may not be calibrated accurately, I agree that sometimes it makes sense to just set it high and turn it to the shutoff point that way.

Once the temperature hits the setpoint, the furnace will cycle on and off, regardless of the thermostat type.

It seemed to work ok but as someone else mentioned it did get a little warm before shutting off and a little cold before it cycled back on again. From what I've read here the experience has been a more even heat, I'm all for that!

I may have to look for an RV store while I'm in Maine( leaving on Sunday) I could install it during our mid day lunch break.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #145

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm getting one for the camper, any advise as to which one? There seems to be a ton of them.
I see no reason to have it programmable. Other than that ensure it is not for 120V heaters, and is instead a microvolt unit, them choose away. The one I linked to was simple and worked great, plus you could get it fairly cheap in the US.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #146

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I agree there's no need for anything programmable, just on and off and temp set
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #147

Trailer: none
My earlier post link o the thermostat we have didn't work. This is what we installed:
http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-1E78-1.../dp/B00204WWGE

Works great and was easy to install.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote