Dimensions needed for P/S dinette wall - 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Dimensions needed for P/S dinette wall - 5.0

When I get my Escape 5.0 one of the first things I'll be doing is effectively replacing the passenger side U-dinette seating with an extension of the kitchen to accomodate my Breville oven. I'll do this by having a couple of portable units sitting on top of the seat deck. One would be a wide but "slim" drawer for the oven to sit on and contain accessories. The second one would be a double door cabinet likely for my Instant Pot and accessories (or maybe for a ham radio station).

I'm not going to see if the Breville would fit where the propane oven would be because at 21" wide plus air circulation space I'm pretty sure it is too wide as well as possibly too tall to fit in the standard space. Besides, I don't want it as low as that would make it.

For planning and possibly having the two sections made before camper delivery I need a couple dimensions not provided in the document at the ETI site.

A - distance between the "wall" at the end of the kitchen and the window over the seat.

B - distance from the seat base to the window.

C - for clarification purposes, the height of the seat base. The info provided in the ETI drawing says the seating is 19" high. I assume this includes the cushion but it isn't clear.

In the attached drawing I have exaggerated the height of the Breville to demonstrate further why the first 2 measurements are critical - I want the oven to block as little of the window as possible. The measurements will let me know how high that drawer unit can be.
Attached Thumbnails
_20180811_181115.JPG  
Old 08-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
A 3 1/2”
b 22”
c 16”
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Chotch, is your trailer new body style? measurements may vary a little between the 2 sytles.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Chotch, is your trailer new body style? measurements may vary a little between the 2 sytles.
Yup.
Think the OP should draw himself a scale drawing before building any actual cabinet.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I took the time to read the Breville Ovens owner’s manual this morning
I will stop now and go no further
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
please, enlighten us Steve......
Old 08-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
A 3 1/2”
b 22”
c 16”
The window is that close to the divider, not centered over the seat?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I took the time to read the Breville Ovens owner’s manual this morning
I will stop now and go no further
This appears to be negative. Could you elaborate?

It is a power hog and needs space on each side for ventilation. I anticipate having only about half the specified space and using something on both sides for heat protection. If nothing else, I have 2 of them. One much smaller than the 21" wide I specified but I'm doing my planning with the big one in mind. Check out the 650 (17") & the 900 (21").
Old 08-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
The window is that close to the divider, not centered over the seat?
That’s affirmative.
Window is 30” x 20” if you want to draw yourself a scale sketch. These # are to the frame, not the glass.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #10

🤔 Distance from divider to back wall is about 48”. There is a pretty good radious on the back so that’s probably why window is more forward.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
This appears to be negative. Could you elaborate?

It is a power hog and needs space on each side for ventilation. I anticipate having only about half the specified space and using something on both sides for heat protection. If nothing else, I have 2 of them. One much smaller than the 21" wide I specified but I'm doing my planning with the big one in mind. Check out the 650 (17") & the 900 (21").
Have to say this peaked my curiosity, especially since my wife is interested in this oven, for home use. It does draw a lot of power, and just wondering if you have a smaller version why wouldn’t that be the 1 to take camping?
Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Have to say this peaked my curiosity, especially since my wife is interested in this oven, for home use.
I can highly recommend the 650 as a super countertop oven, tho a tad small for some purposes, but not many if an approx 8x8 pan is sufficient. I much prefer it over the bigger micro/convection in my big 5th wheel.

Quote:
... just wondering if you have a smaller version why wouldn’t that be the 1 to take camping?
Actually, the smaller 650 is what I do use in the Aframe and would put in the Escape. But, I spend a majority of my time in the smaller camper (36 weeks this year) and want to allow for the possibility for having the 900 for its additional capabilities (air fry & slow cook especially but also possibly dehydrate when staying for a while somewhere with power).

I've tried my Instant pot as a slow cooker - after 8 hours on high the potatoes were not done and the bottom was slightly scorched so that function is out as a multi-purpose device. I also have an air fryer in the big 5th wheel and would love the capability in the little one but it is bulky. A combo machine actually saves space even tho it needs special accomodations.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
That’s affirmative.
Window is 30” x 20” if you want to draw yourself a scale sketch. These # are to the frame, not the glass.
I am a detail person so a scale drawing will be done but even tho the window isn't where I thought (I needed to be more observant when I toured Mark's 5.0) the measurements are very compatible to what I want to do. The oven is 12.5" tall so with 22" between seat base & window frame there is room for a decent height drawer to be under the oven without blocking any of the window. I don't have to consider a lift mechanism while loosing the drawer.

The tricky part will be the cupboard unit at the rear wall to work around the wall curvature and the remaining seating. My sample shows a 2-door unit & that could easily change to door & drawer or something else like storage for remotes, notebook computer, tablets, etc. (sliding doors?).
Old 08-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #14

🤔 Did you think about complicating your battery maintenance? You would have to remove your cabinet to open rear bench for access to them. Your drawer and oven would also limit access to the outside hatch only for the side bench area. Just saying.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:01 AM   #15

Quote:
🤔 Did you think about complicating your battery maintenance? You would have to remove your cabinet to open rear bench for access to them. Your drawer and oven would also limit access to the outside hatch only for the side bench area. Just saying.
Good points.

Using sealed AGM batteries reduces battery maintenance. I expect to have to modify the lids, such as cutting & rehinging so that the full length doesn't need cleared to at least partially access the space. Putting doors in the face of the P/S bench could be done if access to that space becomes common.

This is an improved design over what I have done in the Aframe so I can continue to use the Breville oven as my most common cooking device.

Having to remove one, or even both, of the units for occasional access is certainly better than what is needed to do with the Aframe for every move since everything rides on the floor or bed.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have you thought about mounting an axle and hitch on that Breville?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Have you thought about mounting an axle and hitch on that Breville?
Maybe rent the site next door to plug it into.