Dinette on 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Dinette on 19

I was trying to setup the dinette bed on our 19 this morning and I noticed a couple things. First of all our cushions need to be crunched up pretty tight to get the bed setup and if you sit on one side or the other they spring up. Maybe the tension will lessen over time. The other thing is that the bench seats in the back of the dinette are about an inch more in depth than in the front towards the door. My wife wanted the table top to have the side with the corners against the wall and because it is not square it can not be reversed. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We opted for the U shaped dinette; however, the cushions definitely are tight on ours as well. In fact, when I first tried making up the dinette into a bed, I was convinced that the cushions didn't fit at all. After looking to see where I could push and adjust the various cushions, I was able to make them fit without popping back out.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The two middle cushions look like a pup-tent when converting to bed. Then you push down on both where they meet and they will likely not pop back up. I prefer that to finding a gap between them over time.
My recollection ( in my 17 ) is that the table top is more secure with the hard corners away from the wall. Otherwise, when you sit on the edge of the bed ( the single in my case ), the seat can tip. Better that the gap created by the rounded corners is surrounded by the wall and the seat bases.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
As the bed maker ( luckily it stays that way ) I sure have wished that the cushions were a little less tight, especially since foam cushions spread with pressure overtime . It will always make that pup tent and can be a bit of a pain until I get that fitted sheet on ..........
Old 04-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The two middle cushions look like a pup-tent when converting to bed. Then you push down on both where they meet and they will likely not pop back up. I prefer that to finding a gap between them over time.
My recollection ( in my 17 ) is that the table top is more secure with the hard corners away from the wall. Otherwise, when you sit on the edge of the bed ( the single in my case ), the seat can tip. Better that the gap created by the rounded corners is surrounded by the wall and the seat bases.
I agree with you on preferring that the cut corners are against the wall. But the table top can't be reversed because it is wider at one end than the other. I feel that the benches should be parallel to the walls and the table top should be the same width front to back. Does that make sense?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
May it be due to the rounded shape? I tried the same thing, but ended up putting a 1x4 across the front that rests on the same rails as the table top, to support the cushions and the "sitting" edge. (This is the large dinette on the 17B that is the bed.) As it stays made up, this has been a very workable solution.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #7

But, if the walls aren't parallel to one another . . .
I don't understand what the problem is with having the rounded corners against the wall. Cushions are on top so you can't see the gap and it is more secure that way.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Glenn, I said that wrong in my first post.. We want the cut corners against the wall for the reason you stated. The table top won't fit between the benches When we reverse it.

That's a good idea Sandra.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #9

I'm somewhat confused, but in any event, since the walls are curved to some extent, narrower toward the front, they would have to build the benches to accommodate the curve and cut the foam and sew the cushions to accommodate the curve. So much simpler and cheaper to cut the table.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I believe the cabinets are parallel to the outside walls, the fronts are not parallel to one another. Hence, the table is narrower in the back, wider in the front. It's not much, just enough that the table cannot be flipped end-for-end.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I think that's an accurate summation! The difference is imperceptible
to the naked eye.