Disappointing start with our new Escape - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I guess I'll deal with that at the time, but well in advance, as I want to know the deal. I really would like to camp near the plant for a few days.

Thanks.
Hi: frank_a... In that area of Canada you're only min. from the US.
In our 5.0TA I added a 3' loop of that same reinforced potable water hose between the pex and the 12V pump. Reduced the vibrato of the pump. Easy fix. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had plates but did not put them on until I returned back to the Best Western, next to ETI to load up, before putting them on the trailer (they were from my old Escape which had been sold and still were valid) Once I returned home the plates remained on the trailer and I just transferred them on registration.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
If you have your plates put them on and.... just turn around and drive back into Canada.
Or if you don't have plates, just turn around and drive back into Canada. I don't believe anyone on this forum has ever reported any problems with having a new trailer and no plates...anywhere.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Or if you don't have plates, just turn around and drive back into Canada. I don't believe anyone on this forum has ever reported any problems with having a new trailer and no plates...anywhere.
Just gas up first.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #65

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Actually, I have three trailers at home with plates, and that's figuring we would sell our Parkliner, which of course has a plate. Two utility trailers (big one and small one), and boat trailer. I would imagine I could bring a current trailer plate, but if anybody checked it, they would want to know where the boat is...

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #66

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
...at which point you look behind you and say, shocked voice, omg, where's the boat!!!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Actually, I have three trailers at home with plates, and that's figuring we would sell our Parkliner, which of course has a plate. Two utility trailers (big one and small one), and boat trailer. I would imagine I could bring a current trailer plate, but if anybody checked it, they would want to know where the boat is...

Frank
I think the penalty for using another trailer plate is likely greater than for not having one.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Playing it straight

Quote:

Frank
Hi Frank,
While I love running a lightweight con on about anybody, I NEVER mess with vehicle registrations and funny business with license plates. I have several trailers myself but keep
everything straight and licensed properly. I’d much rather rely on my ability to convince an authoritative figure than get caught pulling the old license plate switcheroo.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #69

Trailer: 17
Frank,
Post number one will clear up your confusion
"Bruce absolutely had to get back to work by Friday..."

Quote:
I guess what i don't understand after reading through each of the posts in this thread is why a U.S. citizen can't stay in Canada a few days camping nearby Chilliwack after picking up a new trailer?

Bad deal, no way around it. Best of luck to you folks!

Frank
Keep us posted Zahuta
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Frank,
Post number one will clear up your confusion
"Bruce absolutely had to get back to work by Friday..."
Keep us posted Zahuta
I'm not confused. It was that post and then all the others that made me wonder why I (NOT Bruce) couldn't stay near Chilliwack a few days after getting the trailer.

When and if I pull the trigger on an Escape, I will be retired, and will not have time constraints pulling me back to the states.

Frank
Old 12-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #71

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
I'm not confused. It was that post and then all the others that made me wonder why I (NOT Bruce) couldn't stay near Chilliwack a few days after getting the trailer.

When and if I pull the trigger on an Escape, I will be retired, and will not have time constraints pulling me back to the states.

Frank
I didn't wait until retirement. we got ours 2 years before I quit working, and am very glad we did. We've had a series of adventures, and met people, that we would have missed.
The other, Bigger reason, is you don't know what tomorrow brings. This last Sept. we traveled about 1400 miles to visit longtime friends. Joining us was a high school friend whom I hadn't seen in 50 years, since high school. I got an email this AM, that he passed away Friday. Sadness, but glad we got to see him.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #72

The timing is not right for me now, working or not. I can only do this after retirement for a number of reasons. It's just the way it is. It's almost better to say it has to wait till 2019, and forget about the retirement thing! Granted, I wish we could do it now. The planets have to align...

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I didn't wait until retirement. we got ours 2 years before I quit working, and am very glad we did. We've had a series of adventures, and met people, that we would have missed.
The other, Bigger reason, is you don't know what tomorrow brings. This last Sept. we traveled about 1400 miles to visit longtime friends. Joining us was a high school friend whom I hadn't seen in 50 years, since high school. I got an email this AM, that he passed away Friday. Sadness, but glad we got to see him.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #73

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post

some our more comfortable not breaking the law .

If plates our not needed why would you ever pay sales tax and registration on these trailers. Just drive around with out them.

laws in Washington
RCW 46.16A.030: Registration and display of plates required—Penalties—Expired registration, impoundment.

charges for the wrong plate
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.685
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #74

I am very sorry I even brought this up. I WILL obey all licensing laws. Or will try to.

The whole point is I want to camp near Chilliwack a few days after picking up the trailer.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
some our more comfortable not breaking the law .

If plates our not needed why would you ever pay sales tax and registration on these trailers. Just drive around with out them.

laws in Washington
RCW 46.16A.030: Registration and display of plates required—Penalties—Expired registration, impoundment.

charges for the wrong plate
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.685
Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #75

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I am very sorry I even brought this up. I WILL obey all licensing laws. Or will try to.

The whole point is I want to camp near Chilliwack a few days after picking up the trailer.

Frank
You won't have a problem. Just keep your paperwork with you.
We were lucky that our state did everything before we went up but I was prepared to spend a month slowly driving back plateless if I had to. I went way back looking and never saw anyone saying that they had an issue bringing the trailer back without plates on it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #76

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:

Frank
frank I not saying you have to obey the laws, But i just feel because some have done it with no problem that they feel that everyone will get away with it. I am only posted the link because i feel some think its legal to drive around with out plates. Each person has to do what there comfortable with. I would like to enjoy my trip witch i could not do knowing the risk . Others can
I am still trying to find a legal way to do this.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We were fortunate to have lots of time. We immediately re-entered Canada and camped near Escape. We had only something minor (a window needed a hammer knock to go into place) but we were glad to be able to go back to Escape. Somewhere else I've gone into detail about the customs inspector who was confused about why we were coming back so quickly and we had a half hour wait so they could check us out. It would be a real bummer to have something big like a leak that caused a flood and be too far away to get it fixed at Escape. In our case, if we couldn't take our time we would have had the trailer delivered.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #78

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
In the State where my trailer is registered and licensed there is a defined period of time in which you are required to register the trailer and pay the sales tax and registration fees. If you go outside the specified time period you have committed tax evasion and then you have to pay a fine in addition to the customary fees.
From what I was told at the DMV you cannot aimlessly drive around forever , at some point the grace period runs out and you have to pay the piper.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #79

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In the State where my trailer is registered and licensed there is a defined period of time in which you are required to register the trailer and pay the sales tax and registration fees. If you go outside the specified time period you have committed tax evasion and then you have to pay a fine in addition to the customary fees.
From what I was told at the DMV you cannot aimlessly drive around forever , at some point the grace period runs out and you have to pay the piper.
In our case in California it was 20 days from possession. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #80

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We were fortunate to have lots of time. We immediately re-entered Canada and camped near Escape. We had only something minor (a window needed a hammer knock to go into place) but we were glad to be able to go back to Escape. Somewhere else I've gone into detail about the customs inspector who was confused about why we were coming back so quickly and we had a half hour wait so they could check us out. It would be a real bummer to have something big like a leak that caused a flood and be too far away to get it fixed at Escape. In our case, if we couldn't take our time we would have had the trailer delivered.
We had to go back the next morning. Our microwave was DOA and the neighbor's propane tanks were empty. So we loaded up their tanks and our microwave in the truck and headed across the border. The inspector asked why we were entering Canada so I told him we had a bad microwave and 2 propane tanks that were supposed to be filled. To which he said " You came all the way from Florida for that? " We told him no were were staying in Lynden . So we chatted about the guns I did not have in the vehicle and were reminded again that if they searched and found any what could happen. And again I replied any guns I own are 3500 miles away.
And we were free to go.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote