Disappointing start with our new Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Disappointing start with our new Escape

Last Tuesday we got our hitch installed at Trademasters in Chilliwack (fabulous folks), stopped at the Garrison Park dog park (great place!) to let our terriers blow off some steam, and then headed to Escape for our 11 AM orientation.

Although we arrived early, our orientation was delayed at least 40 minutes which was disconcerting since we really, really wanted to arrive at our campground before dark. We were surprised to learn we could not check the water system before taking possession of our beautiful new Escape 5.0TA but were told it was winterized and everything had been thoroughly tested.

Some issue held up the trailer from leaving ETI so we waited as the sun got lower in the sky. The border crossing went smoothly.

Setting up camp for the first time with our trailer was not easy or pleasant in the dark and cold but we were happy enough until the flooding started. At this point I should state Bruce is a civil engineer and infrastructure is his thing in a big way. He was filling the water tank properly with his super duper pressure regulator in place when water started advancing across our gorgeous new floor. It took a while to find the hole in the bottom side of the waterline feeding the pump and it took every towel we had to mop things up. Then it was off to find an open store where we could obtain gallons of water for food prep, clean-up, and toilet flushing. Lots of Crystal Geyser water down the tubes.

The next day, while sending emails and leaving messages informing ETI of our troubles, we headed to Camping World to see if they could help us (they could if we were willing to wait a day). Going back to ETI was out of the question because Bruce absolutely had to get back to work by Friday. So we bought more Crystal Geyser.

About mid-day we received a call from Reese who wanted to send us parts to fix the water line and have us send him the hose with the hole so he could see what happened. Okay. We still have not received the parts and our trailer is in the driveway with a heater plugged in because we cannot winterize the water system with a holey input hose.

We were soooo looking forward to our first nights with our new "mobile mini condo" and I am still feeling the disappointment but...our 5.0TA is a thing of beauty. See our pics!
Attached Thumbnails
trailer 1.jpg   trailer 2.jpg  
Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Question, why do you need a pressure regulator to fill the water tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

To make sure the water pressure from your source is not too high. Sometimes water pressures can be excessive. ETI recommends using a pressure regulator.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
That is for the city water connection, not the tank.

drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
Question, why do you need a pressure regulator to fill the water tank?

Hi: drjenk... You don't... but once we installed one on our potable water hose we just leave it there!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, if the unit was winterized then you have to de-winterize it by flushing the lines. Were you filling the fresh tank or hooked up to the cg water when the lek occurred?
Old 12-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
What a huge disappointment for you. Hope that this becomes an easy fix and that this problem no longer happens. Your trailer does look beautiful!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Sorry to hear of your problem and can fully understand your frustration and disappointment. The issue you are experiencing is why both the domestic water system and drain / waste systems in buildings are pressure tested before the walls are insulated and covered .
The problem can be remedied , your time and effort is an unfortunate loss.

Good Luck & Happy Holidays
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
We too had some teething problems with our new 21’ but have had a good experience with Escape Trailers getting them fixed. I hope your experience ends up to be a positive one, my suggestion is try to keep in touch with Escape until your problems are resolved.
Happy travels, you have a beautiful trailer.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
That is a very sad story--I am sorry your first experience was such a distressing one. I hope that everything goes smoothly from here on out, and that in time, this episode will become a "remember that crazy time".
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Beautiful trailer! Is your flooring Mannington Newport Driftwood?
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have to ask. Were you running the pump while connected to city water? Not supposed to do that.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
That's really disappointing with a new rig. I'm assuming Bruce was not "filling the water tank" but had instead connected the city water line and the leak was on the hose connecting the city water fill spout to the water lines?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
Beautiful trailer! Is your flooring Mannington Newport Driftwood?
It is!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Have to ask. Were you running the pump while connected to city water? Not supposed to do that.
No, not running the pump.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's really disappointing with a new rig. I'm assuming Bruce was not "filling the water tank" but had instead connected the city water line and the leak was on the hose connecting the city water fill spout to the water lines?
That is correct.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good looking trailer. Sorry you had a frustrating experience, hopefully it will be isolated and you’ll have years enjoying the new rig.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
Last Tuesday we got our hitch installed at Trademasters in Chilliwack (fabulous folks), stopped at the Garrison Park dog park (great place!) to let our terriers blow off some steam, and then headed to Escape for our 11 AM orientation.

Although we arrived early, our orientation was delayed at least 40 minutes which was disconcerting since we really, really wanted to arrive at our campground before dark. We were surprised to learn we could not check the water system before taking possession of our beautiful new Escape 5.0TA but were told it was winterized and everything had been thoroughly tested.

Some issue held up the trailer from leaving ETI so we waited as the sun got lower in the sky. The border crossing went smoothly.

Setting up camp for the first time with our trailer was not easy or pleasant in the dark and cold but we were happy enough until the flooding started. At this point I should state Bruce is a civil engineer and infrastructure is his thing in a big way. He was filling the water tank properly with his super duper pressure regulator in place when water started advancing across our gorgeous new floor. It took a while to find the hole in the bottom side of the waterline feeding the pump and it took every towel we had to mop things up. Then it was off to find an open store where we could obtain gallons of water for food prep, clean-up, and toilet flushing. Lots of Crystal Geyser water down the tubes.

The next day, while sending emails and leaving messages informing ETI of our troubles, we headed to Camping World to see if they could help us (they could if we were willing to wait a day). Going back to ETI was out of the question because Bruce absolutely had to get back to work by Friday. So we bought more Crystal Geyser.

About mid-day we received a call from Reese who wanted to send us parts to fix the water line and have us send him the hose with the hole so he could see what happened. Okay. We still have not received the parts and our trailer is in the driveway with a heater plugged in because we cannot winterize the water system with a holey input hose.

We were soooo looking forward to our first nights with our new "mobile mini condo" and I am still feeling the disappointment but...our 5.0TA is a thing of beauty. See our pics!
well It is unfortunate this left the factory this way. Am i missing something with the warranty? The way i understand it you just take to a RV dealer and have it fixed and ETI would make arrangements with them to get parts and pay bill. I don't understand why you be fixing anything yourself unless you prefer to do it that way.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Sorry to hear about the trouble and hope it is remedied soon. Hope the rest of your trip went well!

I like your sink choice, guess that isn't a stock choice?
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #20

Since I did not do a very good description of the leak situation, here is a pic where Bruce has his fingers at the location of the hole in the hose. This is a view from above the dinette bench.
Attached Thumbnails
leak.jpg