Discontinued Small Frameless Thermal Windows - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #41

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Confused on the window change. I like the windows in my Casita, easy to operate and maintenance free. Can u get those type of windows in Escape? thanks
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:03 AM   #42

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Confused on the window change. I like the windows in my Casita, easy to operate and maintenance free. Can u get those type of windows in Escape? thanks

I think they’re all easy to operate and maintenance free, so you have to be more specific about your Casita windows. Actually, the framed sliders we had in our 1G Escape did have a bit more maintenance than our frameless awning windows in our 2G Escape: the sliders ooze butyl in hot weather. It looks gross, is a bit messy, and the only thing you can do with it is cut it off with a plastic picnic knife. Also, the framed sliders are much more prone to condensation as the frame is a direct conductor from the cold outside. Much more likely to sweat and drip, so more maintenance there in keeping that under control. Maybe you have the easy to operate and maintenance free frameless awnings in your Casita? But I don’t think Casita offers those, do they?
Old 02-14-2019, 05:32 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Maybe you have the easy to operate and maintenance free frameless awnings in your Casita? But I don’t think Casita offers those, do they?
No, they don't. Nor do they offer dual-pane windows of any kind.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
After being at the Quartsite rally where the weather was pretty chilly , and heater running pretty constant . We have dual pane sliders except for front window . We had extra reflex in windows , overhead fan running on low , kitchen window cracked a little . Surprisingly there was no condensation at all . None . Took shower every day and cooked , stove too and oven . Heater set to 67 when sleeping and up to 71 when up . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
After being at the Quartsite rally where the weather was pretty chilly , and heater running pretty constant . We have dual pane sliders except for front window . We had extra reflex in windows , overhead fan running on low , kitchen window cracked a little . Surprisingly there was no condensation at all . None . Took shower every day and cooked , stove too and oven . Heater set to 67 when sleeping and up to 71 when up . Pat

Not surprising as it’s the combo of temp differential and humidity that leads to the dreaded condensation, and I’d imagine the relative humidity was pretty low in Quartzite, no?
Old 02-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Low humidity is one of the reasons we like going to AZ in the winter.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Low humidity is one of the reasons we like going to AZ in the winter.

Yeah, it’s a constant battle in the Pacific Northwet [emoji38]
Old 02-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Not surprising as it’s the combo of temp differential and humidity that leads to the dreaded condensation, and I’d imagine the relative humidity was pretty low in Quartzite, no?
I would imagine not with taking showers and cooking
That would create humidity No Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #49

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
At home i've put some plastic to cover them. The plastic is more a kind of wall paper that you applied with windex and it is removable. You can have mirror type, frost type and many more.

Window condensation is greatly reduce in those window.

With the change recently made by Escape about the small window I plan to put sone in those windows. It will probably be the mirror type, the one that you see throw from inside.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Yeah, it’s a constant battle in the Pacific Northwet [emoji38]
Adds a whole new meaning to "wet head"
Old 02-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
I received the letter also, I'm a bit confused. My 21's completion date is 2/13, that's in two days. I'm guessing that all trailers that are upcoming, they bulk shipped out the letter.
Same here. I got the email and my camper is complete and ready to pick up on February 21. I have not called them yet. They were closed for Family Day today, so I’ll try tomorrow and see what I can find out.
AwakenArtemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #52

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I would imagine not with taking showers and cooking
That would create humidity No Pat

And don't forget all that hot air in there.

Oh, and the doggies panting away for treats.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Not Surprised

I had 3 of these small windows fail on my 17B. At that time, I told ETI that they were problematic and to expect a lot more failures. Now if any of my replacements fail, which are still under warranty, my replacement options are limited. My recommendation, if your build sheet still calls for one of these windows, change them out.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
I had 3 of these small windows fail on my 17B. At that time, I told ETI that they were problematic and to expect a lot more failures. Now if any of my replacements fail, which are still under warranty, my replacement options are limited. My recommendation, if your build sheet still calls for one of these windows, change them out.

It’s no longer an issue for those who have them on their build sheets as the window manufacturer abruptly stopped making them and cut off supplies to ETI. No more small dual pane sliders, whether you want them or not; whether you had them on your build sheet or not. Only single panes now.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #55

Trailer: 2012 E19
In this case, single pane windows = half the pane of doubles.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
It’s no longer an issue for those who have them on their build sheets as the window manufacturer abruptly stopped making them and cut off supplies to ETI. No more small dual pane sliders, whether you want them or not; whether you had them on your build sheet or not. Only single panes now.
Would be interesting to know whether they stopped making them or simply refused to sell them anymore to ETI. Is it possible that concerns about flexing fiberglass could be problematic are true? Do any other all-moulded fiberglass trailers use them?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Would be interesting to know whether they stopped making them or simply refused to sell them anymore to ETI. Is it possible that concerns about flexing fiberglass could be problematic are true? Do any other all-moulded fiberglass trailers use them?

No idea about any of this. What makes you think molded fiberglass is any more likely to flex than other construction methods?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
No idea about any of this. What makes you think molded fiberglass is any more likely to flex than other construction methods?
Well, the fact that it's thinner, and I can make it flex by simply pushing on it?

I don't think of that as a bad thing mind you. I like the fact that my trailer can flex a bit as it's bouncing down the road, vs a rigid stick built that will inevitably develop leaks and structural problems over time.

Now, whether that flexing has anything to do with window problems, I doubt it, but I really don't know.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I believe that the failure rate for this specific window size was quite high at ETI. My RV sat new and unused for 10 months and 3 windows failed so I don't think that flexing has any part in it. Though Reace was not able to confirm, I expect there are not many manufactures apart from ETI that spec this specific window. So small volume sales + high failure rate = discontinued product.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
IMHO, there are several reasons for the failure rate. The change in the glass company ownership and perhaps a change in manufacturing. I recall once time there were 2 different plants making these windows. The fact that glue or adhesive is being applied to a painted surface is an indicator of lack of quality control. The separation of the panes, again seem to have occurred more with one plant source than the other. Finally there is some operator error in use. So now we have single pane windows, let's see what happens with them. As an after thought, why is the failure rate so high with the smaller windows versus the larger rear or side windows? Same manufacturing process as the smaller windows seems to indicate another variable involved.?