Do you cook inside your Escape? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I'm wondering what other people do to set up the outside kitchen.
When we stop, we set up the outdoor stove and BBQ as part of the setup (unless it is a quick stopover). If a picnic table is not close by, we set up our aluminum table to put them on. They are real easy to access, both just inside the door under the dinette seats. Both quickly connect to the trailer with hoses. Setup time, 5 minutes tops. If in bear country, I do move just the BBQ and stove into the car at night, or inside the trailer if gone during the day.

We bring along a couple of those rectangular wash basins. They work great to load up one with food stuffs, the other with cooking and eating items, to take outside. We almost always wash up the dishes outside too, and they are great for that. They also make good totes for other small items, and often sit on the floor with a couple loose things while we are in transit.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cooking either inside or out, folks should do what they enjoy most. For me, I go camping for the outdoor experience, and my trailer is just an item of convenience. This approach for me is something that has been engrained in me since being a kid. I camp a lot with family and close friends, and their perspective on cooking, and being in the outdoors, is very similar to mine.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For me, I go camping for the outdoor experience, and my trailer is just an item of convenience.
I just realized that this attitude is likely the reason I have no desire to name my trailer, any more than my bike, tool kit, car, etc.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
We picked up our 2011 Escape-19 in July. No long trips but we do plan on using the kitchen. May have to add a range rather than the existing cook top.

We've travelled extensively in our 1955 Shasta and, as a rule, cook inside. No problem with smells lingering. The cuisine that comes from that kitchen, due to my wife's expertise, is excellent. We've acquired a small propane grill, with one burner, for use when it's too hot inside to cook. It's a new addition so don't yet know how much it will be used. But for us, the inside kitchen is the way to go.

In our 19' we're a little worried about the wall behind the stove/sink. We worry the padded "vinyl" will be hard to clean and prone to damage. Has anyone had problems in this regard? I saw one 19' with an added sheet of laminate covering this wall area. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We got the stove cover on the 17B, and when in the upright position for cooking, it pretty well protects the back wall and the side wall. If you don't have one on your stove you may be able to purchase one and install.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
We picked up our 2011 Escape-19 in July. No long trips but we do plan on using the kitchen. May have to add a range rather than the existing cook top.

We've travelled extensively in our 1955 Shasta and, as a rule, cook inside. No problem with smells lingering. The cuisine that comes from that kitchen, due to my wife's expertise, is excellent. We've acquired a small propane grill, with one burner, for use when it's too hot inside to cook. It's a new addition so don't yet know how much it will be used. But for us, the inside kitchen is the way to go.

In our 19' we're a little worried about the wall behind the stove/sink. We worry the padded "vinyl" will be hard to clean and prone to damage. Has anyone had problems in this regard? I saw one 19' with an added sheet of laminate covering this wall area. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks.
Hi: currinh... We had a S/S surround in our 5.0. Biggest draw back to that was keeping it tarnish free. We have the 3 burner with cover and wing flap in the 5.0TA. Easier to keep clean. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot stuff.jpg (74.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P1030670.jpg (277.5 KB, 24 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
For me, I go camping for the outdoor experience, and my trailer is just an item of convenience.
This, definitely.

We are also there to enjoy the outdoors, but our main enjoyment stems from some different things. As I described our trailer when we bought it, it is "our new home for dirt-biking". Our "sitting about enjoying camp" comes after spending the day in the bush beating up our bodies on two wheels!

Cooking outside is fine, when convenient, but not when we've encountered the wrong trail (too often with copious amounts of mud) on our dirt-bikes, missed lunch, over-exerted ourselves and gotten back to camp physically wrecked 8). OR when we get to camp in the dark, cold, rain, whathaveyou. It happens to us, a lot.

Along the same vein, we've used the shower lots (see above note about mud), and the toilet frequently, including solid deposits . These amenities are some of the reasons why we bought the trailer we did.

We've only had it since April of this year, but the front corners of the trailer already have chips in the gel coat from gravel roads, and the spray foam underneath is starting to erode from those same gravel roads. We bought the trailer to use and are VERY happy with our choice. We intend for re-sale value to be the concern of our estate, so we're *using* our trailer to its fullest.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
I just realized that this attitude is likely the reason I have no desire to name my trailer, any more than my bike, tool kit, car, etc.
Yeah that's true Jim. But, its a dwelling, unlike a car or a bike. As a little Casa (not casita) the naming part's just cool to me. Gives it a character.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Wifey names everything, including her car............

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
santacruzer:

Our 19 has a two burner cook top. With a quick Internet search I didn't find a cover for it. Could build one, but then a backsplash would be about the same amount of work? Anyone know of a cover for this cook top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
We got the stove cover on the 17B, and when in the upright position for cooking, it pretty well protects the back wall and the side wall. If you don't have one on your stove you may be able to purchase one and install.
Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #50
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Look about 1/3 of the way down this page and see if it's something you're interested in. No backsplash, though.

Photo-Gallery

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote