Do you cook inside your Escape? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Storage for pots is my big issue. Keeping heavy or bulky things down low I find, is wise. The spot directly under the sink/stove is also too valuable for pots. I keep my big $5 wok stored sideways, in the bottom cabinet below the stove, along with any canned goods, soups, etc. My 9 inch fry pan and 2 qt sauce pan must go in the wee cabinet that's below the fridge. It's a cheapo fry pan- came without a lid but sits there snug and flat so I like it. My problem is I cannot find a glass (prefer glass) lid for this fry pan. Even scoured the Good Will stores in search of a used discarded lid. I refuse to spend for a lidded fry pan. Plenty of 10 inchers out there, but that wee cabinet is too small for them.
Wahoo.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We use the cabinet under the stove/sink to store all our cooking gear, plus a few other things. It works great for that. I put a stainless pull-out drawer in right after I ought the trailer to house the pots and pans, and not that we have a Magma nesting set, we still have a ton of room. Dishes/cups/etc all go in the cabinet above the sink.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Storage for pots is my big issue. Keeping heavy or bulky things down low I find, is wise. The spot directly under the sink/stove is also too valuable for pots. I keep my big $5 wok stored sideways, in the bottom cabinet below the stove, along with any canned goods, soups, etc. My 9 inch fry pan and 2 qt sauce pan must go in the wee cabinet that's below the fridge. It's a cheapo fry pan- came without a lid but sits there snug and flat so I like it. My problem is I cannot find a glass (prefer glass) lid for this fry pan. Even scoured the Good Will stores in search of a used discarded lid. I refuse to spend for a lidded fry pan. Plenty of 10 inchers out there, but that wee cabinet is too small for them.
Wahoo.
We use a "wheeled bin" under the bed for pots. I took the front wheels off but left the rear wheels on. When you pick it up from the front, it rolls on the back wheels. We place a thermos in the slot just inside the doors to keep the bin from rolling out. For cookware, we use a set of triple wall stainless pots that we had. They cook with low heat and minimal odor escaping into the camper.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Wahoo.
Hi: MyronL... We use a set of Ikea pots w/ glass lids. They sell a lid $8. separately but it's for an 11" fry pan!!! Alf Welcome to IKEA.com - IKEA
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #65

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
My problem is I cannot find a glass (prefer glass) lid for this fry pan.
Maybe try this...

Calphalon® Contemporary 9-Inch Glass Lid - BedBathandBeyond.com
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #66

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Have you considered the new silicone ones?

Charles VIANCIN The Lilypad Lid Medium-Small, Medium & Large Silicone Suction Lid & Food Cover (Set of 3) at Amazon.com

Supposedly they can withstand heat to 500 degrees F. They are flexible and lightweight. I just got some but haven't tried them yet. My daughter got me one for use in my Escape. Apparently they are multifunctional.

They have other floral and plant motifs as well.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #67

Great suggestions, fellow cooks. I just measured the inside depth of the cabinet and to my surprise it's 10 inches deep. Must re-evaluate. If can close that door on a 10-inch fry pan, for $12-$16 bucks I get a lid anda pan I can store flat. Didn't think that possible.
Uh-oh. What if the handle on a 10-inch fry pan is too long? HMM.

Can also build in a shelf in there for more pots.
Attached Thumbnails
pots.jpg  
Old 08-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #68
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
..and now that we have a Magma nesting set, we still have a ton of room...
Two questions: The Magma set I found is an induction set, which works just fine with LP, but does it discolor badly? Also, do you know if it will fit in the lower cabinet on a 17B?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Not sure which Magma set you are referring to, but we have a 10 pc. Magma Stainless Steel set. It isn't discolored at all, and it fits well into the bottom compartment of our 17b.

The set is probably overkill -- we could do with at least one less pot. But on the other hand, we have been very pleased with quality of the cookware.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #70

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
In our 17B I have always stored all my pots and other coking stuff under the stove/furnace. Garbage can goes in there when empty and traveling
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Great suggestions, fellow cooks. I just measured the inside depth of the cabinet and to my surprise it's 10 inches deep. Must re-evaluate. If can close that door on a 10-inch fry pan, for $12-$16 bucks I get a lid anda pan I can store flat. Didn't think that possible.
Uh-oh. What if the handle on a 10-inch fry pan is too long? HMM.

Can also build in a shelf in there for more pots.
What cabinet is that in the photo? It looks like one just off the floor, not one we have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Two questions: The Magma set I found is an induction set, which works just fine with LP, but does it discolor badly? Also, do you know if it will fit in the lower cabinet on a 17B?
There is a minor discolouring to the lid, but not the pots at all. No idea on the 17, but I will go with what Leon says. He is right that we seem to have one pot more than we need for cooking, but we have learned to used them for other things, like mixing and serving, eliminating other bowls.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #72

Jim yes, that cabinet is the one below my 4.3 fridge, just off the floor. I got down there to inspect and guess what, I see the side walls in there do not rise to a ceiling. You can see over the side and back wall panels. This means if I add a rack-type shelf 3 inches down from the top of the front opening a 10 inch fry pan can sit in there and extend longer than the 16 inches of wall width. The handle will fit over the side wall.

I'm on it!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #73

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
rbryan4:

We just purchased, what I think, is a 7 piece nesting set of Magma pots. They are very nice and very heavy, not for backpacking. I can only hope that with sufficient use they'll develop a nice patina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Myron:

You could alternately cut the handle on the pan shorter, and put an inch or two of rigid foam up there as refrigerator insulation.

Quote:
Jim yes, that cabinet is the one below my 4.3 fridge, just off the floor. I got down there to inspect and guess what, I see the side walls in there do not rise to a ceiling. You can see over the side and back wall panels. This means if I add a rack-type shelf 3 inches down from the top of the front opening a 10 inch fry pan can sit in there and extend longer than the 16 inches of wall width. The handle will fit over the side wall.

I'm on it!
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #74

I considered that. Not to worry. Job is done. Now must find a cheapo 10 inch frying pan whose handle will extend over the right interior wall like this one does.

And let the frying begin.
Attached Thumbnails
potrack1.jpg