Do you think you need a/c? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Do you think you need a/c?

Im looking for a 17B and there have been a few with no AC. Are the campers so well insulated that heat may not be an issue depending on where you are and in what temp? Thoughts?
redhead23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We bought it and have only used it twice. But we were very glad to have it those times. There are lots of variables - where you camp, what time of year, boondock or have electric hookups,etc.

For us it was the fact that it would be more expensive to install it later and probably makes resale value at least slightly higher.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead23 View Post
Im looking for a 17B and there have been a few with no AC. Are the campers so well insulated that heat may not be an issue depending on where you are and in what temp? Thoughts?
Need for A/C depends on several factors.

Firstly, where do you plan on camping and during which seasons? If your camping is mainly in areas where temperatures do not get too high, you may never have the opportunity to use A/C. If you are camping mainly in the desert in the summer, then A/C is a must.

Secondly, are you going to be camping at campgrounds where you will have access to electrical services, or will you be boondocking with a generator? If neither of these, then it does not make any sense having A/C, since you will not have power to run it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It really depends on where & when you camp. I have AC on my 17B (with the extra insulation package), and have only used it a few times per trip. The Maxx Fan does a great job of moving air through the trailer, however when the air is over 95°F, particularly if the humidity is high, the AC is great to have.

Another place it is useful is when it is hot out & you are camping in dusty conditions where you don't want to open the windows.

Since I haven't spent a great deal of time in the South during the summer, I would have no problem living without one. If that was my primary camping area, I'd want one.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As others have said, it depends on where you intend to camp. Being mostly in Canada, heat is much more of a primary concern. As well, I am rarely hooked up to the grid, so couldn't use it anyway. Another reason I opted out, and instead only plan to install it into the future if I really need it, is why lay out the cash for something to depreciate in value if not needed. If and when I do install one, it will be a nice newer model.

I have camped a few times in very hot weather, stuff where I would likely run it a bit before bedtime, but having the window open over our heads, and the Maxx Fan slowly pulling air in through that window, and across our faces, seems to work just fine for use. We rarely would be in our trailer during the heat of the day anyway.

If I was primarily camping in campgrounds, and in places with extreme heat, I would definitely opt for A/C.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

After one trip in summer, at temps over 100 degrees, I had A/C installed in my Scamp. It is better to have it and not use it, than not to have it and be miserable, even for 1 trip.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by walloe View Post
After one trip in summer, at temps over 100 degrees, I had A/C installed in my Scamp. It is better to have it and not use it, than not to have it and be miserable, even for 1 trip.
What she said.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I concur. Originally I thought that since I had primarily camped in coastal areas, I would never use it. I thought long and hard whether to go for the extra expense. My first trip out, with my son and granddaughters, the temperature climbed to 106 degrees F! It also adds to resale value IMHO.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
...! It also adds to resale value IMHO.
A used fiberglass camper having an A/C unit may bring in a greater resale price than the same used fiberglass unit without the A/C. However, it is unlikely that the difference in re-sale price would ever make up for the initial cost of adding the A/C. That being said, a used camper advertised for sale with the A/C may potentially sell faster than the same used camper without the A/C.

Personally, I would go for the A/C when purchasing a new camper trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 10-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Also, what you do when you camp is important. If you spend a lot of time indoors during the heat of the day you probably need it. We are basically only in our 5.0 for sleeping and by then (in most cases in the pacific Northwest) the Maxx Fan cools the trailer off enough. In 40 years of camping we have only had a few uncomfortable nights. Once in Wenatchee that I recall. The other thing and we are finding this out, is that it appears to be virtually impossible to sell a used Escape 5.0 without air conditioning.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Having sold a 19 without air we found our audience was limited. Potential buyers in the warmer climates were not interested even though it was a/c ready. On our 21 we ordered a/c, I doubt we will ever use it, but it will help when time to sell.

We did test it out, so I guess we have used it.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I’d say get A/C even if you don’t think you’ll ever use it. Living in the PNW my house, like many, does not have A/C, seldom need it. But there have been those few summer nights each year when being able to move into an air conditioned camper was a blessing.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
PS. this is not a classified thread. Those of us that are buying or selling don't want our ads buried down at the bottom of the page by non classified discussions.

Thank you moderators - Glenn and Donna
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
We did decide to get AC and there are days we're glad we did. We've only used it in Southern California, Utah, and Arizona. Never had to use it in the NW ... the fan works great.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I believe most of the Escapes sold in the past were to folks that lived in the pacific northwest where there is less need for AC.
Wanting to travel the country at the best time of year to see those parts, I want to keep my options open, hence I have AC. Used it a few times this year. It's more a matter of when the outside air is uncomfortable, the Maxx-fan does a good job bringing in the air, when the outside air is cool..
Old 10-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I didn't get the A/C or solar. But Ten Forward is ready for both when the time comes. I had to draw the line somewhere. I won't be camping outside N. Cal, Oregon or Washington for several years yet and mostly on the west side of the states. A/C only comes with a short warranty and I didn't want something on the roof that expensive to just sit there and age out. Look what happened with solar last year. Almost than twice the watts, in the same footprint for the same price as used six months before! By time I'm ready for solar I may get a 400 watt panel in the same footprint... and cheap ;-)

Besides Ten Forward is going to be an estate problem for my daughter. Selling is the last thing on my mind. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...Besides Ten Forward is going to be an estate problem for my daughter. Selling is the last thing on my mind. YMMV
But if I make my Escape too attractive by adding all of the options (including A/C), I may have to keep a closer eye on my heirs to make sure they do not "hurry me along".

Old 10-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I live in Florida and try to go north to escape oppressive heat in the summer. In the winter if I camp, I have never needed anything more than a ceramic heater to stay adequately warm. However, my 2 Aliners, my Scamp, and now my 5.0TA have been ordered with a propane furnace. Never had to use one but you never know. Same with A/C.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
No a/c for me. We rarely camp where power is available and I'm the world's lightest sleeper.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
My advice: If you think you might need air conditioning -- then you need air conditioning
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote