Does the factory spray-on insulation really prevent freezing water lines? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #61

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I will have to take a look at each trailer that attends the rally this May to see if they have foam or not.
I will post the results.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
On a SCAMP trailer with only a piece of 5/8” wood for a floor, one could probably conclude it would help tremendously. However, an Escape is an enclosed fiberglass base with at a minimum dead air space between the shell and the interior wood floor which is providing an insulating layer on a stock trailer.
There's a dead air space in the curved sections down each side, and the loft of a 5.0TA has a layer of foam, but between the frame rails the floor is just plywood directly on the fiberglass. Right? Has anyone found anything different?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
I hate to agree with Baglo, I really do. Maybe it's time to retire from this Forum. Perhaps Donna could take a poll to vote me off the island.
Yah, me too, where's the fun in that.

But, yah, I gotta agree with him. My unprotected wheel wells have seen the Alaska Hwy., Baja, and every transcontinental summer detour possible and they are still in almost pristine condition.

The one area of my bottom where I haven't added rigid foam is still pristine.

Just because more vulnerable spay foam gets damaged by road debris it doesn't follow that much more resistant f.g. would be damaged by the same debris.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Must be five o-clock somewhere.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:22 AM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I haven't seen many posts about road damage to non foamed trailers.

You missed my point, by the mere assumption that there are fewer number of trailers without foam would explain why there are not many complaining of damage to their undersides. I have also had to touch up some foam where road debris tore off a piece, what would have been torn off if I did not have the foam, maybe some sensor wires that are exposed?
I guess we were unlucky having some damage to bottom of trailer then . One corner of the grey valve was snapped off and it leaked if you opened the valve. It didn't leak it left closed. That part of the valve had no foam on it. I had to remove foam to change to new valve that was behind the valve to make a good connection . There are other places chucks of foam are missing . I guess some have never gone down a road and have stuff fly up under your vehicle . Has happened on a freeway to us , not necessarily on a dirt road , which we try to avoid .
Still the reason for us to install the foam was for insulation . The ground being cold or hot has a little bit harder time radiating to the floor of the trailer. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:27 AM   #66

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There's a dead air space in the curved sections down each side, and the loft of a 5.0TA has a layer of foam, but between the frame rails the floor is just plywood directly on the fiberglass. Right? Has anyone found anything different?
In 2014 I asked ETI about insulation under the bed, I was told there was insulation between the plywood and the fiberglass although I have no way to prove that is the case or what said insulation amounts to.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #67

Trailer: 2018 21
Here's a picture of one of those Styrofoam faucet covers that I taped to the fresh water tank in Las Cruces NM.
I'm at home in Atlanta and as you can see it's still attached!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190119_090347.jpg  
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #68

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
I suggest that Escape offer a double foam option. $1500 CN.
Don't know how others decided what options to order, but our options were based on reactions to our 1st fiberglass trailer, a Casita SD 17. Not on how much more we could spend.

The Casita had a cold floor at 30°F, we ordered foam underneath for warmth for the Escape. The Escape is much warmer.

The Casita had a waterfall running down the single pane windows in cold weather, we ordered insulated windows in the Escape. Except for the single front pane we do not experience drips.

The Casita walls with carpeting were cold when temps were below 30°F, we ordered extra insulation in the Escape. The person next to the wall in bed is much warmer in the Escape.

The Casita had a 4" lift kit and worked great on our very rutty, rarely graded, 4 mile long dirt access road. We ordered a high lift axle on the Escape for the same clearances necessary for towing to our remote home.

The Casita had a small solar panel that worked great for boondocking, the single battery did not hold enough amps for extended boondocking. We went all in on solar and dual batteries on the Escape. We never experience the need to hookup, this system is always charged.

We felt that our option selection went well, systems we did not like in the Casita were improved in the Escape. We did not order every option, only those that made sense for our camping style.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #69

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not a chance. I'm finding the posts interesting. And glad I was able to make my decision not based on (maybe) damage prevention or (maybe) keeping a trailer warmer/colder or (maybe) it makes a trailer quieter.... but because I think it's ugly.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
Hi Erik - When we bought our 2012 Escape 19 it had no spray-on foam. We camped in Arches and had snow a couple of nights. After freezing up a water line, we learned to open up the interior cabinets at night. But the floor was cold!

When Escape started offering the spray-on foam, we stopped by in BC and had it done. Nice warm floor and much quieter. When we ordered our Escape 21 in 2017, spray-on foam was our second option added to the list (U-shaped dinette was no. 1). We like it and its not ugly unless you like to sleep under the trailer.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik65 View Post
I live at 4,800 feet and frequently camp at 7,000+ feet. There is the potential for freezing overnight temps even in the summer. Does the spray-on factory insulation prevent water lines from freezing in such conditions?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
In 2014 I asked ETI about insulation under the bed, I was told there was insulation between the plywood and the fiberglass although I have no way to prove that is the case or what said insulation amounts to.
This was posted in January 2014 (as the original 5.0TA was being introduced):
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello All,

Just so we are not left out....the new Escape 5.0TA will come standard with 1-1/2" styrofoam in the bed area to help reduce the cold in the bed area.

Tammy and Reace.
I don't know whether that was actually done on early 5.0TAs or not, or is currently being done, although it certainly appears that there was no insulation in the 5.0. Much more recently the lack of anything but plywood and fiberglass under the loft bed was mentioned in an earlier discussion, and the foam panel came up, but I don't recall whether that was an update or confirmation from Reace, or just that I found that old statement that there was a foam panel... and I have not yet found the thread.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #72

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
... We did not order every option, only those that made sense for our camping style.

And in the end, that is really what it comes down to, isn't it. Knowing one's camping style and what makes sense for one's particular needs.

Cheers!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #73

Trailer: 2021 23' escape
Curious how the foam worked? Does it prevent your water lines from freezing? Do you have any water lines exposed under the trailer? And if so how did you cover them? Thanks For your help.
Jeff1958 is offline   Reply With Quote