Doggonit : don't do this - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Doggonit : don't do this

Buddy Keath tied Riley, the Brittany, on a long leash, to one of the support arms for the awning.
Riley spotted a squirrel and ran full tilt to the end of the leash before coming to an abrupt halt, his head still attached.
But, this morning, as Keath tried to close the awning to head for home, he discovered that the arm was gently bent, preventing travel in the track. A bit of persuasion with a couple of 2x6 planks straightened the arm enough to close it.
I suggested tying the dog to one of the Weight Distribution Hitch bars next time.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Ouch! Yeah, those arms are not all that tough, especially with side forces.

Jasper is only tied when forced to by campground cops, which is rare, and we usually just use the picnic table, or trailer rim.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 17B
Portable ex pens work a treat. You can get tops for them for the dedicated climbers. Tying can cause more problems than a broken (awning) arm sometimes. Ask one who' been there.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Yeah we swear by x-pens too! We usually just bring one and plop it next to the trailer under the awning, but if we're at a dog event or someplace we have space to spread out we'll link two and form a "yard" for them that's as long as the trailer and that sticks out further than the awning. Our dogs are fine off-leash at big campsites without much road traffic (I'm paranoid) but at smaller campsites or dog events where they're excited, the x-pens are invaluable. If you are going to tie out, I highly recommend harnesses so if they "squirrel!" they don't hurt their neck!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I suggested tying the dog to one of the Weight Distribution Hitch bars next time.
Hitched up? If not, those bars aren't attached to anything. If a bar that size is an effective anchor for your dog... well, my dog is bigger than yours

If the tug is at the site, the hitch (safety chain loop) is a relatively solid anchor point.... especially with our motorhome (I don't want to meet the dog that can move that) but even with the van which pulls our trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the tug is at the site, the hitch (safety chain loop) is a relatively solid anchor point.... especially with our motorhome (I don't want to meet the dog that can move that) but even with the van which pulls our trailer.
I kinda cringed when I read this, Brian. I pictured someone not realizing, and taking off with the tow vehicle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I kinda cringed when I read this, Brian. I pictured someone not realizing, and taking off with the tow vehicle.
It's unlikely anyone would miss my dog attached to their car

Jim, I don't think that this would be an issue for you or me, but some people will drive away without paying any attention to the vehicle (and they might have dogs that lay quietly when they walk by), and they should probably find another anchor point.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We just use a screw in anchor for our dog by he is only 12lbs , if the ground isn't suitable we loop it around the back bumper of the trailer . Attaching to the tow vehicle just frightens me.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
When Escape was building our trailer, We had Reace weld a small loop to the frame by the battery boxes in the back. We attach a rope with snap clips. It works well, and Murphy gets to watch the set-up and take-down process since we attach him to it as soon as we get the trailer positioned. We have also used a carabiner to attach his leash to the rod that holds the lower step.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
We just use a screw in anchor for our dog ...
We used a screw-in anchor in our own yard for a young Rotweiller cross. It was awkward to put in, would sometimes tangle the cable, and bent. We found a stake-type anchor much more effective and trouble-free; however, it takes a hammer to install and a prybar to remove. An example: Top Paw Dome Stake (although ours may not have had the fin; the fin might make it too difficult to pull out).

Perhaps a smaller version would be enough for a small dog and easier to deal with. Perhaps one of the big ones could even be cut off just above the fin.

I would expect a screw-in anchor to be very difficult to use in the gravel pad of most campsites. Although the stake would be better suited to those locations, I still wouldn't put it in without checking with the campsite operator.

I haven't used either type of anchor in a campground.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
A word of caution for those of you installing ground anchors in campgrounds for use as dog tethers. If there are underground utilities/services (electrical, water, irrigation, etc) there is a strong likelihood that your anchor could hit one of those services. If it is electrical, you could be fried. If water, you could get wet and have an unexpected shower.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote