Dogs and screen door - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
It is a natural instinct for your dog to protect you when someone approaches your door . Pat
From what though? If I was there and my dog did anything nasty towards someone approaching the door, I would be correcting it right away, but I have only seen eagerness to greet that person. Though never did have one do that.

They still would not go through the door without permission. Something me, and many folks I know, prefer in canine behaviour. Now if I was that well behaved.

Now, a protective bark at an unknown noise I will forgive. 'tis a good defensive thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
From what though? If I was there and my dog did anything nasty, I would be correcting it right away, but I have only seen eagerness to great that person. Though never did have one do that.

They still would not go through the door without permission. Something me, and many folks I know, prefer in canine behaviour. Now if I was that well behaved.

Now, a protective bark at an unknown noise I will forgive. 'tis a good defensive thing.
We have 3 even though 30 lbs all together like a pack . The only problem was Murphy our one male wanted to go through the screen door ,which self healed . Thank Goodness ! The trailer was brand new at the time .We have had the door opened , no gate ,and they are told to stay and they do . Just didn’t want screen damaged next time in case . And we know he is very protecting of us and his territory. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Hi , I use this gate. Opens in or out is adjustable .and the screen door closes in front of it.
Shazam.
https://www.lowes.ca/product/child-s...ty-gate-191736
Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdog View Post
Hi , I use this gate. Opens in or out is adjustable .and the screen door closes in front of it.
Shazam.
That should work ! Ours is also in front of door too. What kind of dog or dogs do you have ? Pat
Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #45

Quote:
We have 3 even though 30 lbs all together like a pack . The only problem was Murphy our one male wanted to go through the screen door ,which self healed . Thank Goodness ! The trailer was brand new at the time .We have had the door opened , no gate ,and they are told to stay and they do . Just didn’t want screen damaged next time in case . And we know he is very protecting of us and his territory. Pat
From what I have seen it is the smaller dogs that play the protectionist role most. Big dogs want visitors so they can get attention.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #46

Quote:
From what I have seen it is the smaller dogs that play the protectionist role most. Big dogs want visitors so they can get attention.
We have both had large dogs before too . That could be true about the little guys . They love especially kids . When their are out for a walk , they do want to be friendly too . Pat
Old 09-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #47

Quote:
We have both had large dogs before too . That could be true about the little guys . They love especially kids . When their are out for a walk , they do want to be friendly too . Pat
Yes, I have been out for walks with my dogs many, many a time, and almost all dogs of every size are wonderful to meet and greet.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Yes, I have been out for walks with my dogs many, many a time, and almost all dogs of every size are wonderful to meet and greet.
Animals are the best Pat
Old 09-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #49

Trailer: ?
Our dog of over 15 years, has been well trained.
She will not exit the car or trailer until I tell her she can via a hand signal. No exceptions. Not even to chase a cat.
She is also very protective of my wife. If a person or dog gets closer than she thinks they should, she stands up and gives them the ‘hard stare’ that dogs use to threaten other animals. People and dogs recognize the look and back away. Those that don’t will next see some teeth. That’s the most extreme her warning has ever required. When children are around, she stays by my side or goes inside. Sometimes I wish she was friendlier, but when my wife is alone, I’m glad she’s not.
When we’re boondocking, she sleeps outside at night. Always has. Just her preference. She hikes off-leash but always keeps me in sight.

Old girl is struggling with congestive heart failure. Likely not going to see 16 next January.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #50

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Old girl is struggling with congestive heart failure. Likely not going to see 16 next January.
Our best friends never live long enough.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #51

Quote:
That should work ! Ours is also in front of door too. What kind of dog or dogs do you have ? Pat
Hi Pat, She is a 11 month old Cocker Spaniel . Got her at 8 weeks.
She is a handful and we love her to pieces . Loves camping.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Shazam.
Do you have a photo of that installed? Look like a good solution. My dogs have been through the retractable screen too many times and I now have the replacement I need to install. They just get too excited when they see or hear a critter.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Hi Pat, She is a 11 month old Cocker Spaniel . Got her at 8 weeks.
She is a handful and we love her to pieces . Loves camping.
Bet she is a cutie too! Pat
Old 09-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #54

Yes I do, I'll download them tomorrow and post some.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:11 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When we’re boondocking, she sleeps outside at night. Always has. Just her preference. She hikes off-leash but always keeps me in sight. why not let her final days be more comfortable and let her sleep inside with you guys, I know my 2 are more comfortable when they can see us at night. Plus it is also more protective from animals than outside and tethered.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #56

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
My dog Rowdy has made friends, people and k9, from Canada to Florida. I guarantee a lot more people remember him than me!
Attached Thumbnails
8128EE86-8914-4C01-B054-1093C2A19CF7a.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #57

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When we’re boondocking, she sleeps outside at night. Always has. Just her preference. She hikes off-leash but always keeps me in sight. why not let her final days be more comfortable and let her sleep inside with you guys, I know my 2 are more comfortable when they can see us at night. Plus it is also more protective from animals than outside and tethered.
Gopher has always slept outside; just her choice. At night she gets an invitation to join us but invariably says “If you guys want to sleep in a box have at it. Not me, thank you.” At home, if the forecast temp is less than 15*F, I do make her come in. This picture is from last year.

In Forest Service or BLM campgrounds we always comply with the leash rules so she is on a long rope secured to the bumper. When disbursed camping, which is our preference, she’s not constrained by a piece of rope or chain wrapped around her neck. When we arrive at our camping spot, she gets out of the camper where she rides when in transit, and doesn't get back in until we are pulling out. Again, her choice. We never stay in commercial campgrounds so their rules are not an issue.

Predators? Certainly an issue in the CO mountains, and in our favorite UT spots. Bears, coyotes, mountain lions, snakes, etc. We don’t live in a risk free world and wouldn’t if given the option. No issues over the years.

Given her failing health, we have decided we won’t be taking her camping any more. Home and her backyard is where she is the most comfortable plus no risk of being eaten by a bear .

I’m curious, Jim, how do you know if your dogs are more comfortable when they can see you? Have they ever been given a choice? I’m guessing, it’s you who is more comfortable seeing the dogs. Yes?
Attached Thumbnails
A7964858-2830-4DBD-A720-A3E1EEAAD179.jpg  
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #58

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our dog, when let off leash, goes into a hunting mode. He runs and in tall grass he jumps above the grass and whips his head around to see where I am at. After he works an area he comes back to check in with me and see which way he needs to go next. Dogs may be insecure or over confident, some are pretty independent others like company all the time. Dominance is not based on size. Every dog has a personality of his or her own. I keep our dog on a leash about all of the time we are camping. Once in a while I’ll run him in a designated dog area or in a public hunting area if there’s no one else around. He sleeps in the camper, usually on his own little bed on the floor on his Vera Bradley blanket. If he gets cold in the night you have a 42 lb animal in bed with you and he wants his share. I like camping with a dog. I tie him off to the holes in a trailer wheel or the picnic table. , no chance of bending them.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
9D4F56EC-E24F-4AA2-B38C-87885D2222B2.jpg  
Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Gopher has always slept outside; just her choice. At night she gets an invitation to join us but invariably says “If you guys want to sleep in a box have at it. Not me, thank you.” At home, if the forecast temp is less than 15*F, I do make her come in. This picture is from last year.

In Forest Service or BLM campgrounds we always comply with the leash rules so she is on a long rope secured to the bumper. When disbursed camping, which is our preference, she’s not constrained by a piece of rope or chain wrapped around her neck. When we arrive at our camping spot, she gets out of the camper where she rides when in transit, and doesn't get back in until we are pulling out. Again, her choice. We never stay in commercial campgrounds so their rules are not an issue....

Predators? Certainly an issue in the CO mountains, and in our favorite UT spots. Bears, coyotes, mountain lions, snakes, etc. We don’t live in a risk free world and wouldn’t if given the option. No issues over the years.

Given her failing health, we have decided we won’t be taking her camping any more. Home and her backyard is where she is the most comfortable plus no risk of being eaten by a bear .

I’m curious, Jim, how do you know if your dogs are more comfortable when they can see you? Have they ever been given a choice? I’m guessing, it’s you who is more comfortable seeing the dogs. Yes?
My significant other tells me the minute I leave he goes to the door and stays there until I return. When I go outside in the yard and leave him inside he howls until I let him out. Then he lies down and as long as he can see me out and about he seems content. He is a rescue with abandonment issues...why me and not her is unknown. Our other rescue will be 12 and she is starting to fail, we lost first Franklin last March at age 14. It seems that when they are dying they do not want to be alone or if they have been mistreated in the past and now is experiencing happiness they do not want to be alone....and yes I am aging also and enjoy them more!
Old 09-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I just don't understand it. Josie is also a rescue, had a DNA check and is mostly Pit Bull with some Rottweiler on one side. Yet, I have yet to have ever seen her growl. She will lick you to pieces though.
Attached Thumbnails
JosieQ.jpg