Dometic RM8555 fridge not cooling on propane - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17
Dometic RM8555 fridge not cooling on propane

My fridge modes RM8555 is not cooling on propane. It works great on power. The jet and burner have been cleaned. Any suggestions?
Gail777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's not cooling at all, or just not enough? You mention the burner was cleaned, can you verify,maybe post a picture, of the flame?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Yes, please remove the guard around the burner and confirm the burner is lighting. You should have a healthy blue flame. That will tell us a lot.

Also keep in mind that the freezer always gets cold first and it can sometimes take up to 12 hours (this may vary by model and circumstances) to get the fridge section down to desired temperature.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17
It is not cooling enough. I did pull out the freezer yesterday and it cooled much better. The flame is a nice blue flame
Gail777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Check the propane pressure right at the fridge test port with a manometer. I’ve done two fridges recently and they had low pressure (even though the flame looks nice to the naked eye). With 50% of trailer appliance btu’s running the fridge pressure should not drop below 11” water column. This typically means the fridge will be 11.5-12” w.c. with no other propane loads operating. The regulator up at the tanks has an adjustment under the large black screw cap. Turning it clockwise raises the pressure. Once I did this our fridge has worked amazingly well.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I have the same model and after 3 years it wasn’t working at all on propane either. Just spent several hundred dollars getting it cleaned and the propane pressure adjusted to the level rubicon suggested. It wasn’t much lower actually.

It’s working again but not perfectly. On the highest setting I’m barely cool enough through the night but when it gets hot it’s a little too warm even with the AC running. Doesn’t work much better on electricity either. I’m always camped at my property with the fridge side in the shade.

The RV place called Dometic to discuss how to get it working better. They said this model RM8555 is made in Germany where they don’t use propane much for RV fridges and didn’t put much thought into the construction design. The flue sits too high above the burner and it doesn’t ventilate the heat efficiently. There’s no safe way to improve on that.

I’m about to cut my losses and just buy a new different model. I’m handy but not confident enough to try all the fans and other fixes other owners have done. I don’t want to keep sinking money into a possibly short-lived fridge.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
The RV place called Dometic to discuss how to get it working better. They said this model RM8555 is made in Germany where they don’t use propane much for RV fridges and didn’t put much thought into the construction design.

Dometic is a huge world-wide company. This statement by your RV place is almost assuredly nonsense.
My Dometic 2510 is made in Sweden. You will find a label inside the fridge that says where it was made ( which could be anywhere ).

From Dometic corporate site:
We operate 28 manufacturing and assembly sites in eleven countries and we sell our products in approximately 100 countries.

From Wiki:
Dometic Group is a Swedish manufacturer whose core business is climate, hygiene, sanitation, food and beverage applications within the RV, marine, and automotive industry. Dometic Group evolved from Electrolux leisure appliances which first became Dometic after divested to EQT Partners in 2001[2] and sold again in 2005 to BC Partners.[3]
After several acquisitions (SeaLand 2002, Eskimo Ice 2005 and Smev 2007) where WAECO in 2007 was the major venture, Dometic adopted a multi brand policy and became the Dometic Group in 2009. The same year the company was taken over by a bank syndicate led by Mizuho Corporate Bank. In 2011, Dometic Group was once again acquired by funds administrated by EQT Partners.[4] In 2014, Dometic acquired Prostor and Atwood Mobile Products.[5] In 2015 it divested its Medial business area to Navis Capital Partners in order to focus on the core business commonly referred to as Mobile Living.[6] In November the same year, the company went public through an IPO on Nasdaq Stockholm.[7]
Dometic Group has previously sold products under a variety of brand names worldwide such as Waeco, Crusair, Marine Air and Sealand. However, since 2016, the company has started to consolidate its brands making Dometic the primary one.
The headquarters are located in Solna, Sweden.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge label.jpg  
Old 08-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Check with Reace

Read the 1st post (from Reace) and see if your fridge qualifies for a replacement unit. Mine did.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...ough-5343.html

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote