Drain Holes - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Would you care to explain how you would wire it differently?
Glenn , if you were an electrician , looking at picture #3 you posted would answer your question. There are standard trade practices that are followed that are not shown , mentioned or covered in the NEC .
By code all electrical work is required to be installed in a neat and workmanship like manner .
This is not the forum for that discussion nor could I give you an explanation that you would accept.
Speaking ONLY for myself , I would not sign my name to any trailer wiring that I have ever seen.

Best Wishes
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
You mean the wood embedded in the Casita floor was soft as a result of wood rot?
How old was that Casita?
Yes Casita seems to lack drainage and it needs some, but several friends have them and none of them have problems with the floors with the oldest trailer being 8 years old (which is somewhat mature). No leaks either.
But the floors are fiberglassed both top and bottom on both the Casita and the Escape with OSB in Casita and Plywood in Escape embedded in the floor. Perhaps the OSB is the weak point in the floor versus plywood. Further if you get vinyl on top of the floors that might help seal floors. Both penetrate the floor with screws, plumbing and such....but assuming the water goes into the Escape troughs it has a way out. However not all water intrusions end up in the trough as the two recent threads on a New 2107 Escape 19 shows, apparently on the floor or some other place in that case. So one must always be vigilant and deal with water intrusion when it happens in whatever trailer. The problem with trailers it seems is water leaks location and cause may not be apparent due to visibility/stuff concealing it inside.
I can't remember how old. Maybe 6 or 7 years. Yes the floor was rotted. Anything such as a plumbing leak or failed caulk, then it's trapped and can't get out. If noticed then it can be addressed. I think the encapsulation keeps it in there as well.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #43

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
drain holes

We first bought a used Lil Snoozy that had larger weep holes with screen netting glued to it so any water would just drain away . The reason I bought the snoozy was all fiberglass construction so no rot also the cabinets were all 3/8 in. or more .the 17ft Snoozy probably weighed in at 2600lb but you could stand on the roof and I'm 230lb no give whatsoever . I think if Snoozy built a 19 tandem Escape would have serious competition . The reason I did't buy a Scamp was the OSB flooring that was not encapsulated and to many horror stories and Casita lost out because it was only 6 ft 1 in. headroom .I did not know of Escape until after buying Snoozy . Escape does a nice job of building a quality trailer for same $ as its competitors (fiberglass trailers) .Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #44

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I can't remember how old. Maybe 6 or 7 years. Yes the floor was rotted. Anything such as a plumbing leak or failed caulk, then it's trapped and can't get out. If noticed then it can be addressed. I think the encapsulation keeps it in there as well.
actually thought about this last night and barnstormed with some neighbors who own Casita trailers. It was nice sharing BBQ with a few retired engineers, electrician, and a plumber. Frankly the solution anyone could have thought of though.... even without Margarita's being served. The result seems like a simple and functional solution which is going to be done to one of the neighbors Casita's this weekend. Then test it by purposely empty a few gallons of water in several places of the trailer and see if it works as planned.......of course the 1st and most important thing, is to have a vinyl floor (optional on Casita) which allows water to run on the floor versus be captured in a carpet. The vinyl floor also allows the water to be more easily visible if it pools versus carpet. The neighbors who own Casita were wise enough to have selected the vinyl floor option and most have removable carpet runners.

The Escape pontoons to capture water is a good idea , assuming the small drain holes don't get plugged. If you have to stoop/lay under a trailer to do this, then as you get older that will probably not get done...that stooping/laying under the trailer may get tough to do.
Frankly, on the new 2017 Escapes with for example what appears to be unsealed/or not completely fiberglassed wood framing around the inside to support/stiffen the fiberglass area around the new awning windows, this camper would be more concerned with wood rot where common leaks may occur and also be trapped. This could easily be solved by a different choice of framing material that is impervious to water damage , but wood framing seems to be the favored construction material in Escapes. This is also ironic because as a trailer newbie and doing trailer research for a year or so, it seems most trailer manufacturer's make a major effort to design out or minimize the use of wood in the trailer... if in fact wood is as bad as it is marketed in trailers.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
actually thought about this last night and barnstormed with some neighbors who own Casita trailers. It was nice sharing BBQ with a few retired engineers, electrician, and a plumber. Frankly the solution anyone could have thought of though.... even without Margarita's being served. The result seems like a simple and functional solution which is going to be done to one of the neighbors Casita's this weekend. Then test it by purposely empty a few gallons of water in several places of the trailer and see if it works as planned.......of course the 1st and most important thing, is to have a vinyl floor (optional on Casita) which allows water to run on the floor versus be captured in a carpet. The vinyl floor also allows the water to be more easily visible if it pools versus carpet. The neighbors who own Casita were wise enough to have selected the vinyl floor option and most have removable carpet runners.

The Escape pontoons to capture water is a good idea , assuming the small drain holes don't get plugged. If you have to stoop/lay under a trailer to do this, then as you get older that will probably not get done...that stooping/laying under the trailer may get tough to do.
Hi: freespirit... Not if you have enough "Margaritas!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #46

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
For those that may have no idea what is being described here...
it took this camper a while to figure out why your posted pic of that underside looked different than other Escape 19 undersides..is the black bottom the solid foam insulation mod (not the factory spray foam) and then painted black? If so, it looks really well done.
One thing this camper prefers is the plumbing of the Escape 19 versus the other Escapes like the 21, especially with regard to minimizing the length and right angle bends of the black tank dump tube. That 19 black tank dump tube looks really efficient.
whoops went off thread again...sorry
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Frankly, on the new 2017 Escapes with for example what appears to be unsealed/or not completely fiberglassed wood framing around the inside to support/stiffen the fiberglass area around the new awning windows, this camper would be more concerned with wood rot where common leaks may occur and also be trapped. This could easily be solved by a different choice of framing material that is impervious to water damage , but wood framing seems to be the favored construction material in Escapes. This is also ironic because as a trailer newbie and doing trailer research for a year or so, it seems most trailer manufacturer's make a major effort to design out or minimize the use of wood in the trailer... if in fact wood is as bad as it is marketed in trailers.
Sounding more and more like an Oliver might be the most worry free trailer decision for you. With the number of concerns you have about various aspects of Escapes, isn't it going to be awfully hard to relax and have a good time in one?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote